in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-28-2010 4:19 AM by Graham1982. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2010 7:54 AM

When did the high-def era really start?

HI all:

This is another question relating to my recently acquired CRT projector. When looking through the manual I noticed that there are composite inputs (not RCA) not the red, yellow, white combination (the distinction is for myself, I am easily confused) but the other type that are not found too often.

I googled these and found out that these can handle 1000 lines picture output and true enough the projector is capable of this too. I understand that the projector is old and in practice it is not going to produce a hi-def picture even if in theory it is only 80 lines off of full HD if I am understanding this correctly. However, assuming I am correct why is HD advertised as new technology?

I am guessing that this projector was very expensive when new and was only meant for very hi-end home cinema installations. However it is getting on for 15 years old....

Or perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree.

Graham

• 08-27-2010 9:31 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

Re: When did the high-def era really start?

As far as I'm concerned, high definition home viewing started when B&O introduced the Avant. Pictue quality has been going downhill ever since!

• 08-27-2010 2:03 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Japan have had HDTV for almost 20 years. Read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television
  • 08-27-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

The input range of projectors doesn't need to have anything to do with HD television, as they can be (and were) used as computer displays as well in auditoriums and such.

-mika

• 08-28-2010 4:19 AM In reply to

Hi guys:

Thanks for the information - the wikipedia article was quite interesting too. Think I will connect my xbox to the projector using this type f cable anyway and see what results I get.

Thanks

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)