in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-27-2010 11:22 AM by Søren Hammer. 44 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (45 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-26-2010 10:10 AM

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Keep the Beocord cassette decks alive!

Last year I got a really nice Beocord 7000 cassette deck from LifeStyle AV to replace the one that I had in my BeoSystem 7000. The system that I started putting together in 2007. I watched the BeoSystem 7000 for hours through the window of a Bang & Olufsen dealer after it came out in the early nineties. Knowing that my savings at that time wouldn’t even cover the boxes that it came in. Few weeks ago I bought a pack of new TDK SA90 tapes and started using this great cassette recorder more often.

What a pleasure, recording mixed tapes from CD's! I forgot how nice tapes can sound with Dolby C and am now rediscovering this lost audio format. Of course it's much more work than using a computer and playlists, but recording tapes with the BeoSystem 7000 is such a fun thing to do (for B&O freaks). Controlling the whole procedure with the Beolink 7000, watching the tape spin in the Beocord 7000 drawer. I am a sucker for the nostalgia of spending an evening picking the best songs, manually setting the recording level for a perfect recording, playing around with the Beolink 7000 and then listening to the tape on a Sunday morning.

Therefore my Beoworld petition to keep the tradition of Beocord cassette recording alive! 

Currently playing? A mixed tape named: ''I need some Frank''. Because we all need some good old Frank Sinatra with big band, every now and then. Big Smile

• 08-26-2010 10:21 AM In reply to

Re: Keep the Beocord cassette decks alive!

Beolab1:

Last year I got a really nice Beocord 7000 cassette deck from LifeStyle AV to replace the one that I had in my BeoSystem 7000. The system that I started putting together in 2007. I watched the BeoSystem 7000 for hours through the window of a Bang & Olufsen dealer after it came out in the early nineties. Knowing that my savings at that time wouldn’t even cover the boxes that it came in. Few weeks ago I bought a pack of new TDK SA90 tapes and started using this great cassette recorder more often.

What a pleasure, recording mixed tapes from CD's! I forgot how nice tapes can sound with Dolby C and am now rediscovering this lost audio format. Of course it's much more work than using a computer and playlists, but recording tapes with the BeoSystem 7000 is such a fun thing to do (for B&O freaks). Controlling the whole procedure with the Beolink 7000, watching the tape spin in the Beocord 7000 drawer. I am a sucker for the nostalgia of spending an evening picking the best songs, manually setting the recording level for a perfect recording, playing around with the Beolink 7000 and then listening to the tape on a Sunday morning.

Therefore my Beoworld petition to keep the tradition of Beocord cassette recording alive! 

Currently playing? A mixed tape named: ''I need some Frank''. Because we all need some good old Frank Sinatra with big band, every now and then.

Agree with everything you're saying!

Can you cross-post in the 'Can Someone Explain MP3 etc....' thread?!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-26-2010 10:29 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

I have been reading that thread, but it's an analogue/digital war zone! Serious battering in non B&O style. Just too much of this Super Angry.

• 08-26-2010 1:29 PM In reply to

Beolab1:

I'm signed up!

I still think it's the most adaptable, easy to use, recording/replay format particularly for recording live concerts off radio.  I've got 5 B&O recorders - A Beocord 9000, a Beocenter 9500, a Beocenter 4000 (70s model), a Beosystem 2500 and a Beosystem 10 (I can't really count that, I know as the cassette recorder is rubbish).  

With the timer facilities and the auto reverse I can get 41/2 hours of recording whilst I'm out, pick them up, throw them in the car and listen to them whilst driving on the 6th player (sadly, of course, not B&O)

Cleve

• 08-26-2010 2:11 PM In reply to

I also totally agree with you beolab,and as frank would say "I DID IT MY WAY"

naughty! naughty! john, LaughingLaughingLaughing

• 08-26-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

Beolab1:

Yeah, I'll sign up to that too!Smile

I have the same set-up as OP and I too have some new TDK blank cassettes (recently purchased) upon which I like to record mixed cd's whilst playing about with the Beolink 7000Big Smile 

I have a 1999 Jaguar which, believe it or not, doesn't have a cd-player fitted! - just the factory fitted radio/cassette! Instead of having a multi-cd box thingie fitted - I've just done a bit of 'home-made' cassette compilations I have recorded on the B&O, the resulting sound in the car is really superb!Big Smile

Michael

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 08-26-2010 4:12 PM In reply to

I do my thing to keep them alive.

Once they are working right you got some very great machines for playing cassete tapes.

If you got better tapes than type 1 you get some really good use out of them.

I got Beocord 6000, 8000 for repairs (will be done), 9000, 6500, 5500 which are working great and deserves to be used more than I do at the moment. Then there is a Beocord 1900 somewhere that still has the belts complete but a bit loose in the electronics somehow.

Best of all the price of one these days but its kind of an obsolite product for most people which is rather sad.

• 08-26-2010 6:49 PM In reply to

I agree with U all. IMO it's important to keep the vintage B&O systems "alive and kicking". If you have a 5000/5500/6500/7000 system, it looks best with all 4 units -and the 4500 looks best with Beomaster, Beogram CD and Beocord next to each other (not just BM and BGCD).
    And ofcourse it's most fun if everything is fully functional. I don't listen to tapes every day -but it's nice to put a tape in those lovely B&O tapedecks now and then, and enjoy the sound -and the looks of those LED lights blinking Cool Call me oldfashioned Wink
    I'ts not because i love the cassette tapes -If I had a tapedeck of any other brand, I would probably have kicked it out years ago.
    And, yes -I have an mp3 player too -and a music library on the computer. I just like to have many sources to choose from.
    I have never really understood those people who just scrap all their previous stuff when something new comes around. The one thing doesn't exclude the other. Many people sold their record collection when the CD's arrived -then they scrapped their tapes -then their CD's in favor of downloaded files etc. But -we're all different.

I have a few B&O tapedecks: Beocord 5000 (80's model), Beocord 6500, Beocord 3300 -and the one in my Beocenter 9500.
    I have just bought new belts for the 5000 and 3300 -(from Martin "dillen"). A little project for the upcoming autumn.

Nice to know that you like the sound of your BC 7000. But my experience with that tapedeck is, that the soundquality is not up to the standard of the previous models. Last year I bought a Beosystem 7000. I was not satisfied with the sound of the Beocord -luckily i had a BC 6500 with a worn cabinet - so I swapped the tape mechanisms. And now I have a BC 7000 with a 6500 inside -and it sounds great!

Does anybody else have experience with this? Is the soundquality actually lower in the 7000 -or did i just get a worn tapedeck?

• 08-27-2010 2:01 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

I also have a Beocord 4500, but the Beocord 7000 sounds better. It must be the Dolby C that the Beocord 4500 doesn't have, that improves the quality.   

• 08-27-2010 3:51 AM In reply to

Steffen:

Nice to know that you like the sound of your BC 7000. But my experience with that tapedeck is, that the soundquality is not up to the standard of the previous models. Last year I bought a Beosystem 7000. I was not satisfied with the sound of the Beocord -luckily i had a BC 6500 with a worn cabinet - so I swapped the tape mechanisms. And now I have a BC 7000 with a 6500 inside -and it sounds great!

Does anybody else have experience with this? Is the soundquality actually lower in the 7000 -or did i just get a worn tapedeck?

7000 has been built with two different mechanisms, but other than that it is pretty much identical to 6500. There are plenty of things that can go wrong and affect the sound: the azimuth angle of the head or the mechanics that flip it over, magnetization, dirt, other adjustments (or somebody "adjusting" them trying to compensate for unrelated problems, etc) and of course simply wear.

-mika

• 08-27-2010 4:47 AM In reply to

Absolutely spot-on.  I've just been going through my collection of older equipment in the last 2 weeks, checking which work and which are just for display (until I sort them out).  For the first time in years I've rooted out some of my old tapes and have had a great time.  Apart from anything else, some of the cassette decks look, and have features that are just so good and classically B&O.

The type 4715 Beocord 5000 with the flip-up perspex lid is to me, a great design with some at the time, innovative features - and all those lights!.  The later Beocord 500 and Beocord 7000's with thier funky drawers, Beocord 2200, Beocord 8000, Beocord 1101 is a beautiful design (mine's in Rosewood/Aluminium and looks stunning alongside the matching Beomaster 901), the Beocentre 8500 and Beocentre 9000's, the Century, Beosystem 10 (which I don't think sounds too bad through my CX100's in the kitchen), the MPAV9000 and Ouverture.  Also the Beocord 3300 on its wall bracket alongside the complete 3300 system.  They are all in use around the house.

Yes, the mechanisms are sometimes a bit rattly and some need a bit of cleaning and lubrication but as well as being a part of B&O history and classic design, they sound mighty fine.  A lot of what I have on tape, I have in no other form so they are still an important media for me to use.

Dave.

Am I ready? I was born ready!

• 08-27-2010 9:40 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

Yes, I'll sign up to this too! I currently have a Beocord 2400, Beocord 8000 and a Beocord 5000 (80s type), all rejuvenated by a certain Mr. Jarman, and they make some truly impressive noises.

I do have to confess that what really re-ignited my cassette interest, though, was the purchase of a Technis RS-9900 - a true beast and the world's only two-box cassette deck that I know of!

http://www.audioscope.net/technics-9900-tapedeck-p-964.html

• 08-27-2010 10:16 AM In reply to

For me it was the Beocord 9000.

I grew up with lp's and cassete tapes before finally getting a cd player.

When getting an audio system before B&O it was always naturaly to have a tape player to use.

The Beocord 9000 came into my life one day and before I left the shop I had made my mind up but it took some years before I noticed that type 4 tapes and dolby C recordings done by it actually sounds very impresive. This changed my whole general mindset on cassete tapes. Before I just had them now I know and care more about them.

Beocord 5500 and 6500 are very identical. I can't tell the difference in sounds and the functions are the same. The Beocord 5500 was in a thrift store and I only got it as it was and still does fully working + very good owerall condition. It has been used as a second Beocord for my Beosystem 6500 since I got it.

As for hard drive based options I'm yet to get into that. My main computer has almost nothing in terms of music and I dig my 3 Beosystems more so don't need to get another format other than it would be cool to have everything in one place.

• 08-27-2010 3:01 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

The petition is growing! Thanks for the replies so far. Good to hear that Beocord cassette decks are still being used!

• 08-27-2010 3:12 PM In reply to

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I use my BS6500 for timed recordings of radio shows as well. Just so easy with the Beolink 7000 Smile

I do play some odd recordings I have on old tapes as well. Despite random storage conditions, many of them still sound absolutely flawless after 20 years or more... seems like my old JVC was in good shape back then as well, since Dolby C requires well matched adjustments to not ruin the sound!

-mika

• 08-27-2010 3:32 PM In reply to

I don't want to spoil the fun. The thing is I have a tapedeck in my Beocenter 9300 and two complete 7000 systems. Can't remember when I last used the tapedeck on either of those...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-28-2010 5:41 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

It's never too late to rediscover!

• 08-28-2010 11:01 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Beolab1, next thing you need to get yourself a B&O open-reel recorder! (I have two!) Then a B&O wire-recorder... Laughing

At the moment I have five B&O cassette recorders, BC2000, BC3500, BC5000 (1970's, partly working), BC5500 (partly working) and the decks in Beocenter 1400 and Beocenter 9000 (just got back from listening a tape with it!).

I must say I don't use them vey often but from time to time I do have a cassette -season and I dig one of the decks up and play some old tapes. From the visual point of view, my favourite deck is BC2000, it's almost mint and I think the touch-sensors are very nicely designed and the material doesn't collect finger-prints as the glass-surfaced ones. BC5500 (attached photo) has the most visually amazing built with the sliding cassette section and the design of the front-panel graphics (like the winding "animations") look great. All the newer decks (4500, 5500, 9000) sound good enough for me.

I just got back to my BC5500 repair project (see Workbench -section), being inspired by this thread.

I am getting a BM7000+BGCD7000 system so I might "need" to get a tape deck for that, too... Geeked

Getting a Beocord cassette deck should be cheap enough today and usually the deck will just need new belts. I like to see the strong point of having a cassette deck in the system for being able to collect tracks easily from different sources (radio, cd, aux (where I usually have PC/iPod)). One can then have a playlist on tape and easily play it without having to use any other remotes or devices.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 08-28-2010 1:50 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I do like to dig up my tapes and listen to them. Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to make news mixes but hopefully I'll get round to it. First Beocord was a 2400 which the previous owner never used, sound was awesome. Also have the 1100 and 6500(obviously part of my Beosystem 6500)

So I'm ALL for keeping those tapes turning!! :)

Durban South Africa

• 08-29-2010 8:58 AM In reply to

Just bought a BeoCord 9000 together with a BeoCord 8002 for €25,--! Before buying them I knew that both recorders needed service. But yesterday I discovered that the 9000 has been struck by lightning (it was written on the serialnumbersticker)... Sad So trying to fix it will be a nice project for next winter. But next to BeoCord Cassette Decks shouldn't BeoCord reel to reel recorders also be kept alive?

• 08-29-2010 4:14 PM In reply to

Yes but my Beocord 1600 still works but the 3 reel tapes I got has the very pop songs from when it was new so I don't use it much.

• 08-30-2010 2:50 AM In reply to

If you really want to keep these machines alive, what about a good review of each deck mentioned? These can be added to the site and will encourage others. A warts and all review is best rather than just gushing praise - the Beocord 5000 T4715 for instance is a marvel of engineering but is also the least reliable piece of kit every produced by B&O! Forgetting to mention this would be a mistake! If I get a reasonable entry, I may send the best review submitter a sealed TDH MA-X cassette tape! Maybe we can resurrect the poll system to judge the best effort! I want a reasonable number of entries though! Steve (sajpratty) has just written a review of the Beovox 1500 - and very good it is too. I would suggest a review of a cassette deck would include a brief description of it appearance and materials used, its operation and usual place in a B&O system, and finally a description of its performance compared with an alternative medium - I would suggest an AAC or MP3 file recorded at a high bit rate - over 256bps.

You've talked the talk - can you walk the walk? Big Smile

• 08-30-2010 2:51 AM In reply to

I forgot to add - send the reviews to me by PM - I'll tidy, add links and put on site with an acknowledgement.

• 08-30-2010 3:16 AM In reply to

I've gotten good usage from my Beocord 6500 deck after I found this treasure.

I was searching for John Culshaw's book "The Ring Resounding" on eBay, and found one for USD 14. What the poster neglected to mention was that it came with the entire Wagner's Ring on musicassettes, with the cellophane wrappers on, clearly proving they'd never been used.

Bliss. I've compared the CD-version to the Musicassette, and that was instructive - friends (and I) tend to unanimously prefer the voices from cassette, but we all recognize that the details in the instruments and the dynamics are superior on the CD.
    After this find, I started looking for other unused musicassettes, and there are quite a few about. 

• 08-30-2010 8:04 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

To be able to keep things going while on the move, I just bought a little gem in a beautiful condition for 35,- Euro's. Here's a picture on the sister site of Beocentral, named Walkman Central. Another great and more unknown website by Tim and Nick Jarman, dedicated to Sony walkmans :

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-dd33

Page 1 of 2 (45 items) 1 2 Next >