in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2010 12:33 PM by OHAINES. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-25-2010 10:10 AM

BL2 or BL11 for my system?

Hi all,

I am hoping you could help. Just about to purchase a BV 10 40" with a beosound 5, I have beolab 8000 for the front speakers and beolab 3 for the back (I know acoustically this might be the wrong way round). Question is which bass speaker to go for, the BL 11 or the BL 2?. I hear the BL2 is best for films but isnt quick enough for music which the beolab 11 is perfect for, since I spend as much time listening to music as I do watching films I'm unsure. My other concern with the BL2 is that it might be overkill for my neighbours which are attached either side.

If I were to go down the BL2 on your advice is there anyway of turning the bass down seperately? (might be a bit of a muppet question)

Thanks in advance and congrats on a great site!

• 08-25-2010 11:14 AM In reply to

Re: BL2 or BL11 for my system?

Hi Qhaines and welcome to Beoworld. I am nearly 100% into  your situation. My center is a BL7-1, fronts are BL8000's and rears are BL4000's. I am confused on what will be my best option for the sub. As it has been already discussed here the BL11 seems not to powerful for movies. But i think the best way to find out is to test the 2 of them in your dealer, or ideally make your dealer perform a test in your home and hear the difference. You will be the final judge for the best outcome. I myself am going to do the same before i proceed to the purchase. Smile

-Dimitris

• 08-25-2010 11:30 AM In reply to

Perfectly sensible questions. It does sound as though a BL11 may be better for you with your neighbours. You can turn the subwoofer down via the TV and can also use the settings on the subwoofer itself. I have a BL2 and find it great for TV. I agree that it is a bit too much for music though for my tastes.

I had a BV10 and found that even with a BL2 that the sound was just not right compared to my Avant. I use Pentas as fronts and 4000s are rears. I have since exchanged it for a BV5 which I am much happier with.

• 08-25-2010 12:06 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice guys! Peter you have thrown a bit of a spanner in the works Smile it was a choice between a new BV10 or a used BV5 (they are about the same price). I really like the look of the BV10 and although the BV5 sounds better this will be my first B&O tv so I've nothing really  to compare it with (i also dont think I have the most sophisticated ear). Is there a great difference in picture?

Do you think I'm making a mistake?

• 08-25-2010 12:23 PM In reply to

The picture of the BV10 is better - on HD it is a lot better - on SD, not a lot to choose. The BV10 seems to be missing lower midrange/presence in my opinion. the detail is wonderful - very clear but i find it sounds thin and this is despite it being part of a surround system. It didn't suit me. The BV5 is slightly better soundwise than the Avant 32. This means it is brilliant! It is however a very big set - the BV10 really does look wonderful - I had mine on a floorstand and it was wonderful to look at. My wife liked it.

She thinks the BV5 is dominating in the room but likes the sound and picture. She says that she doesn't notice the difference in picture quality! (It is a non HD BV5).

I cannot understand what you mean about price though. A BV5 should cost about £2000 these days. You should be able to get a second hand BV9 for the same price as a new BV10. The BV9 would be my choice of those two.

• 08-25-2010 12:33 PM In reply to

Sorry Peter, I am confusing things, It was a chioce between the BV10 or the BV7 (with the long speaker).....my bad!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)