in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-01-2010 4:30 PM by 2121marty. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-25-2010 10:09 AM

Beosound 3000 connection to standard speakers, please dont hate me!!!

Due to marital issues I am without my Beolab 8000 speakers, boo hoo, but did manage to keep the Beosound 3000. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to connect the player to normal speakers so I can get some enjoyment whilst saving my ££££ for a new pair. Sorry if this is a re-post but couldnt see search function. Cheers from a newbie

• 08-25-2010 10:24 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 3000 connection to standard speakers, please dont hate me!!!

You'll need an external amp. Some people quite like Quad 405s for this. I think Nigel (H1NPW) has one of these in a similar setup, and I'm sure quite a few others do too.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-25-2010 10:36 AM In reply to

I have a 2 year old onkyo amp, was more confused about the B&O speaker inputs, is there an adapter?? bit of a novice if you couldnt guess

• 08-25-2010 10:41 AM In reply to

You need a power amplifier only. If the onkyo has an input so you can connect the BS3000 and bypass the pre-amplifier, you are OK. Otherwise you need to sort out something else. A MCL2P would be the obvious choice as this will simply connect via a powerlink cable.

• 08-25-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

I agree with Peter, the MCL2P is the most obvious solution, you keep the Powerlink connection, the BeoLink possibilities via MCL, the auto stand-by feature and enough power for most solutions.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 08-25-2010 11:21 AM In reply to

Guys, thanks for the advise, however you are forgetting I am a complete idiot! kinda need walking through it, numbers and codes just confuse??? Looks like the amp you are suggesting is around £200, is this right, thanks in advance

• 08-25-2010 11:26 AM In reply to

Here is a link: Beolink Passive

-Dimitris

• 08-25-2010 11:41 AM In reply to

Don't buy a new one - a second hand one is fine! I gave mine to another member a few years ago. The reason the Quad 405 is popular is that it has lots of power and has a DIN input!

• 08-25-2010 12:10 PM In reply to

Cheers, will this work till I find the MCL2p...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130298461255&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

?????????

• 08-25-2010 12:17 PM In reply to

Is this the quad?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-QUAD-405-2-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/200511669157?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers

so I take it that the B&O pin wires plug straight into this???? and then normal speaker wires out??? sorry for all the questions, just like to know that I am going to get the best sound for my£££

• 08-25-2010 12:31 PM In reply to

The cable you show will work fine - as it says, it will work with a normal integrated amplifier but you will need to use the volume control of the onkyo. The Quad 405 is the correct power amp - You need to as Nigel or Graham, but I think a five pin DIN will plug between the two to work.

• 08-25-2010 12:52 PM In reply to

Cheers peter you have been a great help, in your opinion is the quad a better option than the mcl2p ? looks like it has quite a bit more juice! Looks like you could probably anchor a ship with it!!!

• 08-25-2010 2:06 PM In reply to

2121marty:

Cheers peter you have been a great help, in your opinion is the quad a better option than the mcl2p ? looks like it has quite a bit more juice! Looks like you could probably anchor a ship with it!!!

I think the Quad would wipe the floor with the MCL2P!!!

• 08-25-2010 2:17 PM In reply to

Sounds good, will go for the quad then... see what the nice people at the Nationwide say...

does it connect to the 3000 with standard B&O wires or is it not that easy

• 08-25-2010 3:04 PM In reply to

The MCL2P is a good amplifier with a very nicely designed circuit. It will just work. If critical, I would say it lacks dynamics compared to the best amplifiers but I use the same amplifier in an ML/MCL converter to power my upstairs speakers and am perfectly happy with this. The Beomaster 7000 I used to use was better though.

I cannot really advise about the Quad. In principle it should be great but I have not used one.

• 08-25-2010 3:07 PM In reply to

Peter :

The MCL2P is a good amplifier with a very nicely designed circuit. It will just work. If critical, I would say it lacks dynamics compared to the best amplifiers but I use the same amplifier in an ML/MCL converter to power my upstairs speakers and am perfectly happy with this. The Beomaster 7000 I used to use was better though.

I cannot really advise about the Quad. In principle it should be great but I have not used one.

From what I remember Nigel and Graham have said good things about the Quad in the past. There's some kooky heritage there too.

• 08-25-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

Correct John. I have used a Quad405-2 with my Beocenter 9000 and it is a fantastic amplifier. At least 100wpc into just about any load.

The OP will need a speacial lead which steve@sounsheavenly.co.uk can make up at very fair cost.

Regards Graham

• 08-25-2010 5:16 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone, going to try and get a 405-2 at a decent price, guess they are pretty indestructable, so ebay should be fine????

Graham thanks for the link...re cable

Now lets talk speakers... maybe Ive pushed my luck with non B&O questions...

• 09-01-2010 4:30 PM In reply to

Just a quick update, purchased cable for the time being, works a treat, even coming out a pair of mission speakers I hear more from a CD than I have ever heard before!!! Need some decent speakers now!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)