in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-02-2010 6:41 PM by DoubleU. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2010 6:26 PM

ITV 

what are you expecting?

waiting for a DVB-T(and more) branded by Apple??

• 08-24-2010 9:45 PM In reply to

Re: ITV 

I think it's obvious that it will run IOS apps, for us in the US that means Hulu Plus, Netflix and ABC and I am guessing more would follow.

I am hoping they retain the existing ATV remote since I can control this through the STB. Other then that, I doubt it will reach out to NAS or other external storage.

I can do that on my IPAD but I haven't seen yet an app that provides teh look and feel of an Apple app so I don't care too much about it.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-25-2010 5:00 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Hi AB,

I'm expecting (and i'm wanting to know what Elephant will think too):

> To be called ATV (due to the company called iTV already) or iTVee?

> Hopefully have SSD (i hope for larger storage)

> Mini display port out 

> 720p

> But in my mind there will be some show stopper

> Streaming across devices

> Connection to the magic trackpad

> Announcement that they have added more studios for better content

• 08-25-2010 7:21 AM In reply to

Michael:
    wanting to know what Elephant will think

not sure I am getting much thinking done

I talked over the dilemma with SWMBO this morning

And she said, "why not buy one old, and one new"

Might be a safe solution ... I just want some analogue video signal support in addition to the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI ............... 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-25-2010 7:37 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

elephant:
    I just want some analogue video signal support

huh?  why would you want that?

• 08-25-2010 8:37 AM In reply to

What am I expecting?

New B&O screens;

with an HD module that actually works in this country!

with integrated iTV (aTV)

with a Harddrive!

USB port so I can watch pics and vids on my screen

Internet based screen with proper (not limited) web browsing

technical ability to wirelessly stream computer content on screen

twoway remote

+ 20% less price tag!

Just my rant. Sorry.

• 08-25-2010 8:54 AM In reply to

When I read the thread title I was expecting endless X-Factor spin-off programmes and some bad Champions League coverage.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-25-2010 9:28 AM In reply to

The new device will be streaming only, no ssd, no HD etc will connect to your wifi.
    Will run ios4 (with slightly different and simplified interface) and should be completely app based, with hdmi out.
    remote will be by iphone/touch or new remote with touch sensitive surface. 
    I suspect the itunes store will be expanded or split into seperate stores (one for video, one for music etc.... why else would you think they're building a huge totally new data center)

Just my 2 ct on what a new ITV should be from apple's point of view.

• 08-25-2010 5:58 PM In reply to

I am guessing you might be able to add some sort of game controller ... maybe use the ipad or itouch or iphone for that .... That it does IOS with the APP market place offers all kind of possibilities I guess.

I know the things I would like it won't do, accessing my network disk. Even though I have streaming on Ipad and TV I rarely use it, so getting a Hulu, Netflix and ABC App on my TV might not be a game changer for me.

For 99 bucks, I buy it for sure though - just another toy .......

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-25-2010 6:03 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

jk1002:

I know the things I would like it won't do, accessing my network disk. Even though I have streaming on Ipad and TV I rarely use it, so getting a Hulu, Netflix and ABC App on my TV might not be a game changer for me.

For 99 bucks, I buy it for sure though - just another toy .......

Totally agree JK.  I'd love it to access network disk / time capsule and always like another toy :-)

• 08-26-2010 1:24 AM In reply to

Michael:

elephant:
    I just want some analogue video signal support

huh?  why would you want that?

I think (as in I am not quite sure) that I would like to have link rooms that are carrying the signal from the Apple TV.

Right now I can not get that with my new MacMini ... so for example, I can't watch on a link room TV the LinkPlayer Menu that is on my main screen.

On the other hand, my 3 sons bought me an iPad for my birthday this past weekend, and so now I do have a remote that displays the LinkPlayer Menu as I carry it from room to room; and I can scroll through playlists and select songs etc.

BUT ... once I select Front Row or PLEX I lose control and visual feedback.

However if I use LinkPlayer's own internal "Video" mode I do at least get the name of the video (e.g. right now, "On Melancholy Hill" with meta data and a screen shot) but no video.

I think if I get an old Apple TV I will be able to broadcast what the Apple TV is showing .... but then I lose all my beautiful LinkPlayer capabilities.

As far as I can make out, ATVFlash does not open up the Apple TV enough for me to run LinkPlayer.

So I suspect that to get distributed video via Apple, I will need multiple iTVs ... which at USD99.00 is probably affordable, but they will not actually be showing the main TV screen's content ... instead they will all be doing their own individual streaming.

What I will say, is that I am enjoying having portable video via the iPad ... I can stream wirelessly from the MacMini to the iPad from one of two archives:

a) my eyeTV recordings using eyeTV's free(?) remote

b) my videos (shows and films) using AirVideo (free or fee, depending upon what you want) including iTunes music videos

and via the eyeTV I can get real time transmissions as well:

1) live analogue free to air

2) live digital free to air

3) FOXTEL (no controls though)

4) and even FM radio

I am almost at the point of wondering why bother with link TVs at all ? just carry an iPad Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-28-2010 7:20 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Hi neighbour, 

elephant:
    new MacMini
     did you upgrade and get a new one?  I've been thinking of the new mac mini with SL server

elephant:
    On the other hand, my 3 sons bought me an iPad
     From what I can tell you've been wanting one of those for a while.  You should try out a FLPR ;-)  I do hope that you get the LinkPlayer to work as you want. 

I'm a bit over 'linked rooms' (to some degree).  Back in the day when video was a lower resolution it would have been perfect.  But now a days, i'm not sure if it's still the same / if people actually do want the same image on 2 different tvs?  I kind of don't see the point.

2 appletv's like when you use them as airtunes speakers, i hope that you can use them as airvideo things.  Like if you have 2 TIVO's you can stream from one to the other.  It would be good to do that with appletv. 

• 08-28-2010 7:40 PM In reply to

Michael:
    elephant:
    new MacMini
     did you upgrade and get a new one?  I've been thinking of the new mac mini with SL server

Upgraded from my laptop :) 

I was heavily advised not to get the server version - I now wish I had from a software perspective, but I have enjoyed using the DVD slot for CDs and DVDs and I would not have had that if I had gone down the server route

Michael:
    You should try out a FLPR ;-)

Thanks for the hint http://www.newpotatotech.com/FLPR/flpr.html

It does not look as nice as a Beo4 :)

I find that I use the Apple "Remote" app to vote additional tunes into the playlist either form the iPhones or the iPad;  use the eyeTV remote from the iPad, and the LinkPlayer too, I have as yet to try out the VLC remote or some of the others 

Michael:
     I do hope that you get the LinkPlayer to work as you want. 

So far LinkPlayer is doing everything I want ... it just would be very nice if Philippe relayed audio/video to the iPad but that (I think/I am sure) would be a major re-engineering of what LinkPlayer is about: i.e. a remote controller, rather than a distributed A/V consumption device

Michael:
    I'm a bit over 'linked rooms' (to some degree).  Back in the day when video was a lower resolution it would have been perfect.  But now a days, i'm not sure if it's still the same / if people actually do want the same image on 2 different tvs?  I kind of don't see the point.

I want link rooms for the same music as the master source, but not the same video source.

The way I have my set-up I can let my live-in son watch what he wants while we watch what we want ... it can take some juggling, but given our divergent tastes it usually works out.  I can even juggle, if needs must, a third "channel" for recording on to the eyeTV or broadcast to the second link room.

I am not finding the vision quality to be an issue ... but the link rooms are inferior non-B&O CRT TVs ... this may change some time in the (near?) future :)

Michael:
    2 appletv's like when you use them as airtunes speakers, i hope that you can use them as airvideo things.

I agree ... that is why I am making no sudden moves ... just letting my plans mature

• 09-01-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

Try Plex 9 and the iPhone App.  They work great

Carl Sheerman

• 09-01-2010 7:38 AM In reply to

Carl Sheerman:

Try Plex 9 and the iPhone App.  They work great

Thanks for the suggestion - in the focus on Apple's announcement I had forgotten that PLEX had picked the same launch date.

So I downloaded PLEX 9 and bought the iPad app ....

And unfortunately the upgrade has not migrated my library, and all the associations I had built for Movies, Shows, and Music Videos.

A not very good upgrade if you ask me!  No warnings on the website or during the upgrade :-(

I have tried adding the libraries I have but no meta-data has been picked up and the "old way" of associating IMDB etc to a library path has disappeared.

So now I will have to schedule some time this weekend to researching what I should have done ... or what I actually need to do.

So my suggestion to others is ... tread carefully for now.

Edit / Update:

OK, so I couldn't wait until Saturday :-S

I found that to add SHows, Movies, Music Videos etc you don't use the old (beautiful) full screen interface ... instead there is a PLEX icon ">" on the top menu/title/icon bar ... click on that and the use the keyboard and mouse interface to add the paths ...

The system appears to now be rebuilding all its meta-data *sigh* 

• 09-01-2010 8:05 AM In reply to

Is the new Plex working fine with Linkplayer?

P.

• 09-01-2010 2:34 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Is the new Plex working fine with Linkplayer?

P.

Yes my friend -- it does.

Tested Movies, Shows (still no episode synopsis, must be an option? .... somewhere! go figure some time later), Music (not all of my non-iTunes turned up, but clearly a PLEX library issue), YouTube, iView (both Aunties (ABC & BBC) lagged so gave up), video podcasts, iTunes via PLEX

I was able to access iPhoto ... but when I went to display a picture, PLEX crashed

So I would say your integration works beautifully, BEO4 controlled all the way Laughing

(yes, I also tested the iPad PLEX as a control, and was able to mix iPad commands with BEO4 commands ... preferred the BEO4 as the remote!!!)

In general it is much more responsive than the previous version ... very smooth

Update:

Restarted PLEX from the crash report, BEO4 still in control, iPhoto worked this time, access to other sources worked ... BUT (yes, you could here that coming) some of the plugins have disappeared (YouTube)

Reinstall, Reset did not repair the damage

Performed an uninstall, then install and YouTube is back

PS I tried to download the iTunes 10 to test that ... not available (yet)

PPS I did manage (easily) to have PLEX simultaneously play a Show on the BV8 while stream a Movie to the iPad 

• 09-01-2010 2:46 PM In reply to

Separately ... I think Steve Jobs just called the new Apple TV (no name change) ... a hobby

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Ports and interfaces

• HDMI2
    • Optical audio
    • 10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    • Built-in IR receiver
    • Micro-USB (for service and support)

2 Requires HDCP when playing protected content.

USD99 but cables are an extra purchase, but does come with power cord Laughing and the new-ish Apple remote.

720P.

Supports Airplay from Macs, iPods, iPads, iPhones -- Airplay is Airtunes plus video.

• 09-01-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

nothing new that mine tv can't do....

indeed the old tv is still the best,has the hard-disk built in!

• 09-01-2010 3:29 PM In reply to

Elephant, before I upgrade to Plex Nine, can you check something for me? Smile

About the youtube plugin. I like to know if you can sign in with your account, so I have direct access to my subscriptions, favorites etc. That would be great! In Plex 8 this is not possible.

• 09-02-2010 7:06 AM In reply to

DoubleU:

About the youtube plugin. I like to know if you can sign in with your account, so I have direct access to my subscriptions, favorites etc. That would be great! In Plex 8 this is not possible.

Not sure I have an account (yet) but I certainly shall do that test for you !

• 09-02-2010 5:36 PM In reply to

elephant:
    DoubleU:

Not sure I have an account (yet) but I certainly shall do that test for you !

well I now have a YouTube account, but while LinkPlayer's webkit interface picks it up and recognises that I am logged on the PLEX interface does not change, nor does there appear to be anywhere to enter a userid/password (for example, PLEX provides this configuration pane for LAST.FM)

So it seems you are still out of luck 

BTW I (and others) have just discovered this problem with iTunes10 and B&O http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/35244.aspx

• 09-02-2010 6:41 PM In reply to

Too bad, I wil keep using safari for that.

Thanks for checking! Smile

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)