in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2011 4:30 PM by Ferdinand. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2010 2:59 PM

New Beovision 10- Installation question

Hello everyone,

Although this is my first post, I have been following and must say enjoying this forum for a while.

I just bought a Beovision 10-40" which has been sitting in my living room for a few days. I am still hesitant about install it myself or have it installed by a B&O recommended installer.

I have been quoted around $1,200.00 for the installation of the tv hooked to a DirectTV-HD receiver, an Apple TV, a Bluray player, a couple of Beolabs 3 and a Beo5 (programming included).

I guess the quote is not bad at all but I still think that I can probably install it myself and save a considerable amount for future B&O purchases.

Basically I am more concern about if there is any initial set-up that should be done than to the wall bracket/tv installation.

What is your opinion?.

Have someone did it by themselves succesfully?.

Is there any initial "set up" that should be done by the B&O technician that definitely I can't perform following the manual instructions?

Your comments and thougths would be really very appreciated. Thank you

Filed under:
  • 08-24-2010 5:01 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: New Beovision 10- Installation question

Congratulations on your new Beovision 10 purchase !

You mention USD, so I am assuming you are located somewhere in North America, where the unform building construction and electric codes are somewhat different than Europe. As the Beovision 10 is either a floor stand,  or side-swing wall mount, I might ask the following:

1. I would first speak with the B&O installer, and have the installer walk you through the entire process: The exact screws and bolts used, mounting the plates, proximity to electrical mains, etc. Ensure a full, step-by-step comfortable understanding of the processed described to you.

2. Wall construction, and at the point your BV-10 will be mounted. Wall construction, and the load bearing capacity there. If US wallboard (Gypsumboard ) is present, do you find a single stud or double-stud mounting point underneath.

3. Solid masonry (as I have in 3 properties unfortunately) is a significantly different mounting procedure. A great deal of work, and dust, but it can be done.

4. In Europe, a common cable and mains method is to sheath all into plastic covers attached to the wall between the BV-10 and the mains electrical socketl, which are then usually painted.  North Amerrican UBC compliant electrical cables require approved conduit protection ( aluminum or silicone ) within walls. This application requires some wallboard cutting, reboarding, and painting, but facilitates hiding all cable and wires. If this is a consideration, and one has not done this before, employing a wallboard subcontractor would be helpful.

Personally I enjoy the B&O minimalist "look" of the equipment, and hate any exposed wires or cables. Everything I have is wall mounted, with all lines hidden, a bit of work, but it can be done. Even when your walls are 6.5 inches thick.

5. My mantra to the engineers that work for me is to Think ahead, and out of the box.  Seven years ago I posted the suggestion that future BV models should have at least 3 HDMI plugs available, which surprised some on this forum as an extravagance.

Considering now a Beoport, Direct-TV, Apple TV, DVD, PS, ROKU, Wii, WI-FI, and of course HTPC additions, always look at the possibilities of additional electrical service (sockets) and other lines (such as direct Ethernet ) for future applications to your system. Personally, I enjoy SAT TV, but cut SKY etc. over streaming, so one less appliance used x 3.

I am sure you have already considered lighting, glare, sound, seating and other subjective requirements, along with the neighbors.

Programming the BV-10 ?  That's the really fun part: Save it for last !

• 08-24-2010 5:32 PM In reply to

Hello Swiss 2,

Thank you for your comments. Regarding your questions/suggestions:

Yes I am in North America. The Beovision is wall bracket mount.

The wall is drywall with single stud which I already reinforced with an internal wood board screwed to two studs and then reboarded, plastered and painted. The idea is to make a hole and hide the cables inside. The DTV receiver, blu-ray and apple tv will be hidden inside a cabinet in a room in the other side of this wall. Neither cables nor cabinet/devices will be showing up.

I plan to connect two beolabs 3 on shelf stands to the tv and place them on a long floating shelf that runs low under the tv, cables hidden too.

Besides the installation my concern is: Is there a "set up" or "programming" that the installer will perform that somehow I will not be able to perform myself just by carefully reading the manual?

Thanks

• 08-25-2010 2:51 AM In reply to

Hi,

Looks like you have planned for a very nice installation. Congratulations.

My dealer preloaded the PUC I needed for the Bluray, cable box etc.

An installation team of two persons did the installation including cabling to the 3:rd party equipment. Took them less than an hour. I´m really happy that I had some professionals doing the job. Having spent that money on a TV, I think the extra cost for installation makes sence...

As you can see on this pic. there is quite some stuff involved when installing the set....

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 08-25-2010 5:10 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Hiort,

Do you by chance have a picture of the BV10 in situ (on your wall)?

Regards

MH

• 08-25-2010 6:59 AM In reply to

Michael:

Hiort,

Do you by chance have a picture of the BV10 in situ (on your wall)?

Regards

MH

Sure Michael. Here you go:

(Not the best pic quality. Taken with and old iPhone....) Stick out tongue

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 08-25-2010 7:35 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Thanks Hiort,

The quality is fine.  Man it looks great.  Love it next to the sound system too :-)  Very nice. 

• 10-10-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

The problem is not so much the wall mount install and is getting the PUC code set up when not buying from a local USA dealer.  I am still trying to find someone to install the codes for me. Local dealer refuses.  Good luck.

• 10-11-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

wesheltonj:

The problem is not so much the wall mount install and is getting the PUC code set up when not buying from a local USA dealer.  I am still trying to find someone to install the codes for me. Local dealer refuses.  Good luck.

There has to be a reason local dealer refuses to do paying work.  C'mon, tell us the rest of the story.

• 10-11-2011 3:22 PM In reply to

No "rest of the story to tell."  I bought an TV, not from my "local" dealer.  Local is relative as the dealer is 70 miles away.  Asked them to install the PUC codes would pay for all time from there store to my house and return plus install time and mileage.  Says store policy is to service only equipment they sold.  Called B&O USA, they gave me name of the repair guy in there regional service center also 70 miles away.  Made the same offer, they would do it, but have never done it, and was going to have the local store show him how to do.  That 3 months ago and still waiting.  Regional service center say it would be at least $500 to do.  I hope that if I can ever get it done, my cable box does not go out and the codes change.

• 10-11-2011 4:29 PM In reply to

Unbelievable that the "local" store wont service items they do not sell. Very shortsighted on their part. Imagine somebody with a $100,000 worth of B and O moving into the same town as the dealer, from somewhere else, and then being told the dealer would not help them set up products or update the PUC?

Living in the USA sometimes the "local" dealer is quite far. My closest dealer is 180 miles away.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-11-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

Hi Beofab,

1200 USD is indeed nice money to spend on new B&O stuff. On the other hand, if the total installation would need a few hours for two persons with and your set-up will be exact as you want it than I would not risk doing anything yourself. Also the person(s) coming have to travel a fair amount.

I have experienced that installation(service) offered differ a bit from dealer and/or country. My BS9000 purchased in Holland was installed to no extra cost and was wall mounted ... three people working for 2-3 hours.

For my BV10 I was offered two hours free installation , it took the guy almost 6 hours. He was alone and he was very precize Big Smile

BS9000, Beolab 3000, Beocenter 7002, RL60.2, beo4, BV10

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)