in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-13-2010 1:28 PM by XavierItzmann. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2010 7:19 PM In reply to

Re: External Agency appointed for B&O October product launch

SecretSheep:

The iPod dock is old news and not ground breaking. Think Beosound 5 lite as the man said - but lite may not be what you think. Should be more in tune with what we want.

What do we want sheep???

• 09-04-2010 9:24 PM In reply to

koning:

SecretSheep:

The iPod dock is old news and not ground breaking. Think Beosound 5 lite as the man said - but lite may not be what you think. Should be more in tune with what we want.

What do we want sheep???

I hope the sheep are wiser than me ... because I think the industry is at an inflection point ... and I am not certain I could pick a sure path through the alternatives ahead

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-04-2010 11:06 PM In reply to

Elephant, you and I are in complete agreement on this. I'm beginning to feel that our price-point, even more than our shortcomings in software design, is really what's keeping us from being relevant in this arena. Even if we got it right, it would be "late fall/early winter of 2010 right" I don't think there's a way to put something like a 9000 on the market and let it mature over the next 15 years and so long as the pace of development is guaranteeing a short shelf life, large investments just don't make sense. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-05-2010 12:52 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    I don't think there's a way to put something like a 9000 on the market and let it mature over the next 15 years and so long as the pace of development is guaranteeing a short shelf life, large investments just don't make sense. 

I agree ... I liked the comment in this thread "Apple adds function in layers" -> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1005911

(the OP's hypothesis is interesting ...)

B&O need to have a foundation that they can then build out from ... of course this is so much easier if you are dealing with software (i.e. iTunes and store) or hardware that is priced at a point where users don't feel financial pain if they switch every two to three years. 

B&O's "investment for a lifetime/decade" used to be viable ... now they need to be nimble or have the best set of crystal balls that money can buy !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-05-2010 4:22 AM In reply to

elephant:

TripEnglish:
    I don't think there's a way to put something like a 9000 on the market and let it mature over the next 15 years and so long as the pace of development is guaranteeing a short shelf life, large investments just don't make sense. 

I agree ... I liked the comment in this thread "Apple adds function in layers" -> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1005911

B&O need to have a foundation that they can then build out from ... of course this is so much easier if you are dealing with software (i.e. iTunes and store) or hardware that is priced at a point where users don't feel financial pain if they switch every two to three years. 

B&O's "investment for a lifetime/decade" used to be viable ... now they need to be nimble or have the best set of crystal balls that money can buy !

1. B&O can sell ICEpower amps to the rest of the industry and get those products to carry a B&O/ICEpower branding. It can use more ICEpower in its own products. Result: everyone is using the best amps/ lowest power consumption combination available and B&O get all the credit.

2. B&O make it easier to change and upgrade or supplement the internal modules in their products so that they can be upgraded at not too extortionate costs and customers no longer need worry about paying a premium for a product that will be out of date in no time at all.

3. Recognise [elephant's link] that seamless integration of audio & TV with the likes of Apple products is probably coming via Apple. Give Apple every reason to recommend B&O (as with computer speakers) and B&O will get a great lift.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-12-2010 11:41 AM In reply to

vikinger:

elephant:

TripEnglish:

1. B&O can sell ICEpower amps to the rest of the industry and get those products to carry a B&O/ICEpower branding. It can use more ICEpower in its own products. Result: everyone is using the best amps/ lowest power consumption combination available and B&O get all the credit.

2. B&O make it easier to change and upgrade or supplement the internal modules in their products so that they can be upgraded at not too extortionate costs and customers no longer need worry about paying a premium for a product that will be out of date in no time at all.

3. Recognise [elephant's link] that seamless integration of audio & TV with the likes of Apple products is probably coming via Apple. Give Apple every reason to recommend B&O (as with computer speakers) and B&O will get a great lift.

Graham

Exactly..Yes -  thumbs up

BL5 (pair), BL3 (pair), BL7-2, Beosystem3 w/dvb-s, cabinet, BS4 w/DAB, BV8-26 w/sys module, Beocom 2, Beo5, Beo4, Beoport, A9 and a garbage DVD2

• 11-12-2010 12:06 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

vikinger:

burantek:

Just to stir the pot...

B&o rather quietly trademaked the term "BEOCLASSIC" just a few months ago.

No big deal, right? After all, it is just a component of the online "BEOLOUNGE" which was also trademarked by them a few years ago.

Well, the "goods and services" component of the trademark are rather different...

"BEOCLASSIC" refers to <electronic devices> (i.e.) physical products and <networked information> (i.e.) website.

"BEOLOUNGE" refers only to <networked information> (i.e) website.

Hmm

Hmmm...... maybe a new Beolab 5000 amp with ICepower inside??????????

I would be first in line! Even though I have never heard the original. I know that this will never happen, but I can't wait to see what this leads to!

Evan

• 11-12-2010 4:10 PM In reply to

So the launched product is the Beosound 8.

Does it fulfill any of the desires expressed in this thread?  (OK, it's not a Beolab 5000 with ICEpower................ )

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-12-2010 4:11 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

vikinger:

So the launched product is the Beosound 8.

Does it fulfill any of the desires expressed in this thread?  (OK, it's not a Beolab 5000 with ICEpower................ )

Graham

Sadly, no.

Evan

• 11-13-2010 1:28 PM In reply to

vikinger:

Funny.

My Beoport with LinkPlayer software now works very similarly, and is in many ways superior, to "multimedia devices" recently launched by Roku, Google TV, Apple TV, Hulu, etc.

Talk about a 2001 B&O product being modularly supplemented by software from a one-man operation to deliver outstanding functionality and performance for nearly nothing... the opposite of extortionate.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2