in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2010 5:42 AM by Graham1982. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-22-2010 5:52 PM

Ice power rave review

This review is dated by the give-away reference to the B&O medical section but it's just one example of how well  Ice power amps have been received elsewhere in non-B&O branded products.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-22-2010 6:06 PM In reply to

Re: Ice power rave review

Sorry, but any review where the reviewer starts by selecting $750 power cables and woffles on about the sound benefits of this ( though he does admit that they make little difference with this amp) loses all credibility.

• 08-22-2010 6:22 PM In reply to

Peter :

Sorry, but any review where the reviewer starts by selecting $750 power cables and woffles on about the sound benefits of this ( though he does admit that they make little difference with this amp) loses all credibility.

I agree. Strangely enough, searching for 'Audio Magic' (manufacturer using Ice power amps) with Google suggests that they are marketing their own special power cables (and getting rave reviews for them!) I'd have thought that the only real difference you get with any cables is minor differences in voltage drops compensated for by tiny adjustments in volume control or balance.

• 08-22-2010 9:09 PM In reply to

Well I've been running ICEpower modules for about six years now, and my review is they are simply superb! I started with some DIY amps from Denmark called "BEAST" that had 1000ASP & 500ASP modules and now have 1000ASP's powering my mains and 250ASP's in PS Audio chassis's for the rest of my speakers including my infinite baffle subs.

• 08-22-2010 11:30 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

This reminds me of a recent visit to a very decent audio shop, a big McIntosh dealer.

A salesman told me about how one of his customers could hear the difference between silk and nylon speaker wire hangers. I thought this was rediculous.

Evan

• 08-23-2010 2:06 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

evman140:

This reminds me of a recent visit to a very decent audio shop, a big McIntosh dealer.

A salesman told me about how one of his customers could hear the difference between silk and nylon speaker wire hangers. I thought this was rediculous.

Well, the mind is a powerful thing. Ever heard the term placebo?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-23-2010 4:09 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

And there was me with the attitude that spending any more than £10 for a pair of audio phono leads was a waste of money lol!

Olly.

• 08-23-2010 4:09 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Oh no, not again...

The first thing when you test an amplifier is to choose the correct power cable for it ?
    And $750 power cables ?
    Would that be the last 2 meters, as in the distance from the wall outlet to the amplifier ?
    What about the 22½ kilometers to the power plant ?

And the transformers and generators ?

In Copenhagen, we were running on swedish nuclear power for years (until Barsebäck closed down),
    I noticed no difference in sound when we switched back to coal.
    But OK, I can't say I actually listened for it either...

The worst thing is that those people often try to give the impression that they really know their stuff...
    Ick!

Sorry but that was as far as my reading of the first review went.
    From there on, I wouldn't be able to trust a word anyways.
    The second review was a bit more reasonable and it leaves no doubt that B&O did good with ICE power.

Martin

• 08-23-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

Homeopathy anyone?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-23-2010 4:33 AM In reply to

Another review link covering several manufacturers.

Forget the power cable delusion/diversion!

Are B&O getting enough credit for ICEpower?

Are they using it in their own products to a sufficient level?

If they are now behind some very 'respectable' niche and mass market amplifier manufacturers shouldn't there now be a large income stream from these amps (and shouldn't that be reflected in the share price?)

Graham

• 08-23-2010 6:02 AM In reply to

Just one further thought: would a requirement to display a 'Powered by B&O' logo have been to B&Os benefit or detriment on the non B&O products using ICEpower?

Graham

• 08-23-2010 10:23 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Dave:

evman140:

Well, the mind is a powerful thing. Ever heard the term placebo?

Yes.

Me and the salesman both concluded that he was a bit mental Laughing

Evan

• 08-23-2010 10:25 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

vikinger:

Just one further thought: would a requirement to display a 'Powered by B&O' logo have been to B&Os benefit or detriment on the non B&O products using ICEpower?

Graham

I think B&O needs all the advertisement they can get!

Evan

• 08-23-2010 4:29 PM In reply to

vikinger:

Finally something that makes some good old engineering sense Smile

The upcoming 6002/8002 update seems to widen the usage inside B&O, and it's nice to see these amps being used elsewhere as well. I'm not sure if it can be called, or if it will ever be mass market though - the manufacturers catering for mass market are well able to count their beans, and won't use much of anything that needs to be licensed.

As to the share price... see above - it's part of the cash flow and hopefully rising, but I'm afraid not enough to make a difference to the company as a whole. We'll see tomorrow at 11.00 CET..

-mika

• 08-23-2010 5:25 PM In reply to

vikinger:

Graham

Would be nice to see a "Powered by B&O" logo on those products -Like the "Intel inside" label on many computers.
    IMO it would be to B&Os benefit.

• 08-23-2010 5:38 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

At the moment, I think it really is a matter of awareness concerning B&O.

But then again, these stand alone amps seem like all of the buyers are of the audiophile community who will likely be aware of whats inside.

Evan

• 08-24-2010 5:04 AM In reply to

tournedos:

vikinger:

Finally something that makes some good old engineering sense Smile

The upcoming 6002/8002 update seems to widen the usage inside B&O, and it's nice to see these amps being used elsewhere as well. I'm not sure if it can be called, or if it will ever be mass market though - the manufacturers catering for mass market are well able to count their beans, and won't use much of anything that needs to be licensed.

As to the share price... see above - it's part of the cash flow and hopefully rising, but I'm afraid not enough to make a difference to the company as a whole. We'll see tomorrow at 11.00 CET..

From today's report:

Bang & Olufsen ICEpower a/s
    Turnover for Bang & Olufsen ICEpower a/s totalled DKK 80 million for the 2009/10 financial year against DKK 85
    million last year.

Bang & Olufsen ICEpower a/s supplies patented amplifier technology which combines high efficiency with low
    energy consumption and superb sound quality. As the ICEpower amplifier has very high energy efficiency, it
    allows for more compact constructions which, in turn, offer greater design freedom. In addition, the reduced
    heat generation means that the life-cycle of the electronic components is increased. 

A significant part of the turnover continues to derive from sales of standard amplifier modules and customised
    solutions for quality manufacturers in the global audio market. In addition, Bang & Olufsen ICEpower a/s receives
    royalties from the sale of amplifier technology and acoustic solutions for major OEM partners. 

end quote

Worrying that turnover is down on the previous year when these units are being increasingly used by other manufacturers and are being aclaimed in the technical press.

Graham

• 08-25-2010 5:32 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Steffen:
    Would be nice to see a "Powered by B&O" logo on those products -Like the "Intel inside" label on many computers.
    IMO it would be to B&Os benefit.

You could potentially get car companies like Proton who boast about Lotus doing tuning on their cars! and basically are saying that their cars are just like Lotuses lol

• 08-25-2010 5:42 AM In reply to

Hi:

Yes, I remember in '93 my primary school teacher had a Seat Ibiza - the boxy pre Volkswagen one and that had "tuned by Systeme Porsche" or something similar emblazoned all over the rear window. Even at that young age I thought this was rubbish!

Are companies still making such tenious claims?

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)