in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-24-2010 12:10 AM by Stan. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-22-2010 12:00 PM

BeoSound 3 - short loud hiss sound between MP3 tracks

Hello - I have just bought a new BeoSound 3. I am trying to playback MP3 songs from 2 different SD cards and I have the same problem with both of them:

Between every other song I get a loud but short hiss before the song starts. Is this something you have experienced and what might be the solution?

The MP3 songs are in 2 folders in the root of the card and encoding comply with the guidelines of the user manual.

PS: Why can the BeoSound 3 not handle SD cards of larger sizes than 2GB? (I've tried an 8GB that didn't work with the BeoSound 3).

Thanks

• 08-22-2010 1:14 PM In reply to

• arned
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 97
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoSound 3 - short loud hiss sound between MP3 tracks

BeoSound 3 only supports SD cards up to 2 GB in size from SanDisk. BeoSound 4 (mk. II) supports SD cards up 16 GB.

I have the Beosound 4 (mk. II) using different SanDisk SD cards at 2 GB / 4 GB / 8 GB without any hiss. I am using my PC and Windows Media Player with 192 Kbps for "recording" the tracks.

Try to format the card and then save some new songs into a folder from your PC.

• 08-22-2010 1:23 PM In reply to

I've tried formatting several times and added different songs and it still doesn't work. The SD card I use is from SanDisk and is 2GB a higher speed version of 15 MB/s called "Ultra II" but don't see why a faster card should cause any issues?

I have also tried with a non-SanDisk SD card of conventional speed and 512MB but not of the brand SanDisk and I get the same hiss sound.

I can convert new MP3 songs but if the product is soo sensitive to formats etc (and the songs I have added to the SD cards comply with the specifications) it is an odd product. I might have a faulty unit - what a shame.

• 08-22-2010 4:28 PM In reply to

• arned
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 97
    • Bronze Member

Well - You might have a faulty unit - I dont think this hiss is normal on Beosound 3. On Beosound 4 i dont have any noise of any kind when playing SD card.

It must be other members who has Beosound 3 and can help you! Or try the Bang & Olufsen homepage:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beosound3

and go to FAQ. There is something about SD cards.

• 08-22-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Sorry for being obvious, but do these MP3's sound OK on other kit than your BS3?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-22-2010 4:57 PM In reply to

Hi, yes they are fine on other units. I've simply dragged-and-dropped them from iTunes to the SD card (Mac).

Have sent an email to B&O customer service - let's se if they can cast some light on this. Will post here if useful info from them.

Thanks for your input.

• 08-22-2010 5:03 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

BeoMedia:

Hi, yes they are fine on other units. I've simply dragged-and-dropped them from iTunes to the SD card (Mac).

Have sent an email to B&O customer service - let's se if they can cast some light on this. Will post here if useful info from them.

Thanks for your input.

Are these downloaded MP3's or something you have encodec yourself - if so, what did you use to encode them?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-23-2010 3:25 PM In reply to

Hi, I encode them myself from CD's using iTunes (I have a Mac computer if that makes a difference). I have just ordered a conventional slow speed 2GB SD card of the brand SanDisk which I understand B&O recommends so will se if it makes a difference.

• 08-24-2010 12:10 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I have 2 BS3's and I don't recall either making a hiss noise like you describe. Sad  I've used many different sized cards and speeds over the years.  I would guess it needs a repair, or (if repair costs are similar to other B&O costs) learn to deal with it Smile

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)