in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-20-2010 4:57 AM by 9 LEE. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2010 4:37 PM

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Forum problems?

Is it just me in The Netherlands (it could be since we are the people who live below sea level), or is the forum having difficulties? The last few days it was slower and sometimes not available. During most hours last night it was impossible to enter.

• 08-19-2010 4:56 PM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

Re: Forum problems?

same problem here tooConfused

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 08-19-2010 5:00 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Are you in a Fjörd?

• 08-19-2010 5:06 PM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

no, about 250 meters above sea level...

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 08-19-2010 5:53 PM In reply to

I have had same problem in the USA.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-19-2010 6:06 PM In reply to

Then it's the fact that you, Odd88, are to high above sealevel and we, Beolab1 and me, are to low under sealevel. I experience the same things.

• 08-19-2010 6:27 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Hi all,

Our server/hosting company for the forum appear to be having some torrid times.  Rest assured Keith is working on it - and if all goes to plan we'll have an absolutely first class forum with no connection issues and extremely fast response and refresh times, on our own dedicated server.

Nothing is set in stone though - we have some bridges to cross and hurdles to clear first.  Lots of technical stuff which baffles me though..

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-19-2010 6:59 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Is your server/hosting company either in a Norwegian Fjörd or below sea level?  

• 08-19-2010 7:14 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Lennaert:

Then it's the fact that you, Odd88, are to high above sealevel and we, Beolab1 and me, are to low under sealevel. I experience the same things.

Okay your theory is not bad, but how do you explain the American member above your post who has the same problems? He can not be in a Norwegian Fjörd or below sea level. He lives in Illinois, which is above sea level.

• 08-19-2010 7:37 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Huh?

I used to have an ingrowing toe-nail.

Please explain this...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-19-2010 8:02 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

It is caused by bad hygiene, neglect or incorrect toe nail clipping. 

• 08-19-2010 11:35 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Beolab1:
    He can not be in a Norwegian Fjörd or below sea level. He lives in Illinois, which is above sea level.

Fjord, Chevy, we all had the same problem.

• 08-20-2010 2:12 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Our server/hosting company for the forum appear to be having some torrid times.  Rest assured Keith is working on it - and if all goes to plan we'll have an absolutely first class forum with no connection issues and extremely fast response and refresh times, on our own dedicated server.

Please tell me it wasn't on a VPS?

• 08-20-2010 2:31 AM In reply to

9 LEE:

Hi all,

Nothing is set in stone though - we have some bridges to cross and hurdles to clear first.  Lots of technical stuff which baffles me though..

Lee

Turn the record over, I've heard this several times before.

Unless more members pay, the forum will always be running just to catch up. A dedicated server will soon be out of date and will need to be bigger and better just to keep up with the demands of the membership, most of whom, will pay nothing to use it.

Regards Graham

• 08-20-2010 2:34 AM In reply to

I can confirm that there was a problem on Wednesday evening until the following morning caused by an "Application Pool" timeout which happened because another process was holding onto a resource.

It turns out that the holding resource was trying to read a picture file (jpg) which was corrupt and until that error was cleared it could not continue.

The picture file in question was uploaded as an attachment to a posting and I am not going to say which picture file it was, only to say that the corruption was corrected.

The above problem was totally unrelated to an on-going issue which some members may have noted which occurs particular at times of heavy Internet network traffic and/or heavy server traffic where when you either write a post or press the "Home" button you wait sometime and then get my "catch all" error message. If posting, it sometimes does do the posting, but does not quite finish before the timeout period. Unfortunately the timeout period cannot be changed.

You may recall back at the begining of the year I moved the Beoworld web site to our own server under our direct control and I plan to do the same with the forum as soon as we can. There are a few technical issues to resolve first, the biggest issue is the fact that currently the forum runs on a server in the East coast of the US and of course uses US date format. As the date is used as part of the forum login process, if I was to move it to a European server no one would be able to login. So one of the big tasks is to create an SQL script which converts all the dates for every user on the system which is more than 13,000 changes. So, this move is several months away.

However, in the meantime I have changed quite a few settings and certain code changes to improve or mask the current problem, in other words the core problem remains, but you may not see it or only rarely hopefully.

One major change I will be making in the next few weeks to hopefully dramatically improve the forum relates to the search facility which uses a lot of SQL database resourses not only for actual searchs, but as part of the posting process. I will be installing an "Enterprise Search" to replace our current not very good "Search Barrel". This is a complex installation which I intend doing "on the fly" meaning the forum may pause for a few seconds, but will not go down during the upgrade. The exact time and date has not been decided yet.

I will keep you all informed on progress, but the major changes will not occur until after I return from my holiday in Italy meaning after 14th September.

Regards Keith....

• 08-20-2010 3:58 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

hasta la pasta for the jollies in italy keith

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 08-20-2010 4:17 AM In reply to

Beolab1:

Lennaert:

Okay your theory is not bad, but how do you explain the American member above your post who has the same problems? He can not be in a Norwegian Fjörd or below sea level. He lives in Illinois, which is above sea level.

He's just to far away, the entire ocean stands between us and him! Americans should stick with their own stuff. Keep your hands off our B&O! No just kiddin...

• 08-20-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

Can I just say that I remember the days of the 'old' Beoworld where the forum used to crash several times a day, and the recent issues pale into insignificance compared with what we had to work with a few years ago :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-20-2010 4:57 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:

Turn the record over, I've heard this several times before.

You did, and we ended up on our own server for the main forum!  This costs a fortune but it's totally stable - just like the forum will be if we can move it to our own server.

Yes - financially it's a struggle, but we'll get there! Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)