in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-05-2010 1:09 AM by Razlaw. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-16-2010 7:16 AM

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

For all Beolab 1 users: Switch settings (corner/free-standing/wall)

I have a pair of Beolab 1's with a pair of Beolab 6000 as rears, connected to a Beovision 7-40 MKII with Beolab 7.2. For music on low sound levels I use all four speakers, because it fills the room with a nice ''surround'' sound. For television I just use the Beolab 7.2 (what a great television speaker!) and for DVD all 5 speakers. For serious listening I just use the Beolab 1's.  I never considered buying a Beolab 2 or the new Beolab 11, because I don't like heavy bass, and we live in an apartment, so we like to stay friendly with the people who live on the floor below us! The Beolab 1 seems to have people who love them (design/clear highs/good medium range) and people who don’t like them (too cold, surgical, not enough bass). Not much in between. 

Sometimes I feel that the Beolab 1 should get a little more credit on Beoworld. I like them a lot, but through the years I discovered they can be very revealing with bad quality recordings or low bit rate IPod music. These speakers really play what they get into them, nothing more, nothing less. A very good recording in pop, jazz, classical, and vocal music makes them sparkle in my opinion. Some time ago I read the thread on Beotech about changing the potentio meters, which I have adapted. A little more bass, a little less medium and high. I also experimented with the switch on the bottom to select corner/free standing/wall. They are placed about 50 cm from a glass wall, but I set them to free standing and they play beautifully. How are other Beolab 1 users setting this switch and how have they experimented with settings and placement to get the best performance?

• 08-16-2010 7:53 AM In reply to

Re: For all Beolab 1 users: Switch settings (corner/free-standing/wall)

We had our 1s in a room with a 9-10 foot ceiling and had the switches on each speaker set as recommended. Recently we moved them to a room with a sloped ceiling, about 20 feet tall at its highest. The right speaker is in a corner with a wall a on the right. The wall behind it is about 5 feet tall as the staircase is behind it. The left speaker is at the base of the staircase so it is almost completely open behind it. To the left wall is about 5 feet away. I set both switches to maximize bass. The speakers sound incredible, much better than they ever did before.  Different rooms with different acoustics and different settings make a huge difference. 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-16-2010 8:02 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Razlaw:

I set both switches to maximize bass.

Just to make sure. Is that the free-standing position on the switch?

• 08-16-2010 8:15 AM In reply to

• oli
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Paris, FR
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Yes it is.

Personnaly I have one Lab1 in a Corner (set to Wall) and one against the Wall (set to Freestanding). I tried several combinations, and it is the ones I do prefer. I recently added al Lab2, and found it a bit overkill while listening music only. Setting up the Lab2 to Corner to get the minimum effect, playing a bit with the bass/trebble setting on the BC2 resolved the overkill issue. Like someone said, Lab1 (and lab2) are very sensitive to the environment and placement (space between the speakers, general room's acoustic, ...) regarding where you are listening to them. I tried several Beolabs during the last decade, for me the Lab1 is the best speaker ever created by B&O regarding price/quality. Lab5 are amazing, but the price difference is not justified for my ears to move on them.

• 08-16-2010 8:24 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

What I also like about Beolab 1 (and Beolab 6000's) is that for a ''small'' price (nothing is really small with B&O prices), you can get different color speaker covers. I have had silver ones on all of them the last four years. Recently I switched back to the original dark grey ones. Nice to change them from time to time!

• 08-19-2010 7:42 AM In reply to

I have been a fan of the Lab 1 ever since I have bought them and cannot agree more with the remark of Beolab 1: "These speakers really play what they get into them, nothing more, nothing less. A very good recording in pop, jazz, classical, and vocal music makes them sparkle in my opinion".

This is, for instance, very different for the Beolab Penta which does not reveal as much the individual quality of a good / bad recording. In my opinion, the Lab 1 is too much criticized on this forum, in particular because it does not reproduce the whole frequency range as beautifully as the Penta or Lab 5 do. I believe this critic is not fully justified as the Lab 1 has been designed to be used together with the Lab 2 precisely to allow a full range reproduction in a far more impressive way than the Penta.

And then, there's the other aspect, their design: for me, Lab 1 that's really Bang & Olufsen. Of course, I believe the Penta has also an incredibly nice and timeless design but recent models such as Lab 9 and Lab 5 don't even come close on that aspect ... 

BC2 DAB, Lab 1, Lab Penta, beo4, beocord 1101.

• 08-19-2010 9:11 AM In reply to

Hi!

I didn´t knew about the possibility of the three different settings, because I did not get the manual for the BeoLab 1 from my dealer eight years ago.

So I changed the setting from "wall" to "free standing" and now I have a little bit more bass. I like it very much because - although my BeoLab 1 are standing near to the wall - it matches quite well, I think because I have a lot of windows and a marble floor in my living room.

So thank you very much for this information!

Regards

Räuber

P.S.: I love my BeoLabs 1 because this is "really" B&O-design! 

• 08-19-2010 12:16 PM In reply to

• oli
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Paris, FR
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

The manual is available on the official B&O website, at this URL: http://www.bang-olufsen.fr/UserFiles/File/ug/BeoLab1/BeoLab_1_English.pdf

It is available in all languages here: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/userguides/

• 08-19-2010 12:35 PM In reply to

oli:

The manual is available on the official B&O website, at this URL: http://www.bang-olufsen.fr/UserFiles/File/ug/BeoLab1/BeoLab_1_English.pdf

It is available in all languages here: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/userguides/

I have already downloaded the manual today for changing the setting. But thanks for your info.

/Räuber

• 08-19-2010 4:00 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

pauliander:

In my opinion, the Lab 1 is too much criticized on this forum, in particular because it does not reproduce the whole frequency range as beautifully as the Penta or Lab 5 do. I believe this critic is not fully justified as the Lab 1 has been designed to be used together with the Lab 2 precisely to allow a full range reproduction in a far more impressive way than the Penta.  And then, there's the other aspect, their design: for me, Lab 1 that's really Bang & Olufson. Of course, I believe the Penta has also an incredibly nice and timeless design but recent models such as Lab 9 and Lab 5 don't even come close on that aspect ... 

I fully agree! Good to hear that there are more happy users of Beolab 1 on this forum. They are more critical speakers in placement, input signal quality and settings, but for B&O lovers who want a more powerful speaker, without having to dig out for the great Beolab 5, it's a great more '' affordable''option (always a dangerous word with B&O). They are available second hand nowadays for good prices at dealers. Lifestyle AV advertises pairs for prices between 2000 and 3000 pounds, depending on age.  

• 08-19-2010 4:26 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Good to hear that you have found the position switch! Glad this thread could help you rediscover your beolab 1's. I have gotten help from so many members about technical stuff on this forum, but due to my lack of real technical knowledge, I havent been able to do much back. So I,m very glad that I once have been able to help others out on Beoworld. 

• 08-20-2010 4:34 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Ahh. :) This thread makes me miss my BeoLab 1's. I felt lucky to have them, and i don't know another B&O speaker apart from the BL5, which has the physical impact (sound AND design) as the BL1.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-20-2010 7:14 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Thanks Dave! I just found your thread from 2009 about Beolab 1 settings, which could be very interesting to other beolab 1 owners:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/25953.aspx?PageIndex=1

• 08-21-2010 6:12 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Beolab1:

Thanks Dave! I just found your thread from 2009 about Beolab 1 settings, which could be very interesting to other beolab 1 owners:

Wow... memory flashback! I miss them soo much. [:'(]

• 09-05-2010 7:12 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Dave:

Beolab1:

Wow... memory flashback! I miss them soo much. [:'(]

Trade in what you have now and get a another pair. The prices a very ''reasonable'' at the moment for a used pair of beolab 1's.

• 09-06-2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Looks like this threat gives a vindication to the Beolab1 connoisseurs... With their massive built, BL1 reproduce sound superbly at all levels and radiate quality and longevity.

I have two rooms equipped with them and can also recommend "free standing" as the best option setting...no boom boom... just great sound as long as you avoid "garbage in"...

The time will soon arrive when the BL1 will be finally appreciated as one of the most iconic B&O products ever.

• 09-06-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

pauliander:
    And then, there's the other aspect, their design: for me, Lab 1 that's really Bang & Olufson. Of course, I believe the Penta has also an incredibly nice and timeless design but recent models such as Lab 9 and Lab 5 don't even come close on that aspect ... 

I fully agree. When it comes to design the new ones don't come close...
    BL 5 is one of the best speakers ever build -but to me it looks like R2D2's cousin Big SmileWink But of course -the design of the Lab5 (and 9) is mostly dictated by the sound. David Lewis did not have the same freedom as he had when he designed the BL 6000/8000 -and BL 1.

Don't get me wrong -I would like a pair of BL 5's -but not because of the design. And BL 9 are not "eye catchers" like the BL 1 or Penta's -or BL6000/8000. In many of the new designs I miss those steel/aluminum surfaces that used to be so characteristic for B&O.

• 09-08-2010 3:04 PM In reply to

Dave, after reading some of your posts on the forum, I can only echo the remarks of Beolab 1: This is in fact the right moment to spot a pair of second life Lab 1s. At present there are still Lab 1s available in what I would call a "nearly new condition" and at an reasonable price (in particular when comparing with Lab 9 or 5). 

Just to be honest, I bought myself a pair of vintage 2006 Lab 1s in showroom condition last April. Since that purchase (I already have experimented with some music systems) I am a very happy man Smile

I also believe that the time is ripe to gradually recognize the Lab 1 as perhaps the most iconic Bang & Olufsen speaker produced so far.   

• 09-09-2010 6:07 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Are you using a subwoofer with yours Paul? I could not go back from 9's to 1's without a very good subwoofer to accompany them... the bass from Beolab 9 is to die for when they are placed in a good position.

• 09-12-2010 5:43 AM In reply to

No, actually I'm not. I use the Lab 1s next to the dinner table for music and radio listening which actually is in 85 per cent of the times jazz and classic music. I first intended to upgrade my set with a sub principally for home cinema use but changed ideas. Instead, beautiful Penta's have arrived which do a very nice job next to the projector screen (yes I will post some pictures on the other thread)...

• 11-04-2010 3:32 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Is anyone using Beolab 1's in combination with the new Beolab 11 subwoofer. I'm curious to hear their opinion. Thanks in advance!  

• 11-05-2010 1:09 AM In reply to

I have also wondered about what an 11 would sound like with 1s.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)