in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-17-2010 8:19 AM by vikinger. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-14-2010 9:55 AM

Avant poor focus and contrast

Bought a 2nd hand Avant 28dvd to take advantage of widescreen which is mainly broadcast these days. The picture is a big disappointment compared to my mx4000, the contrast and focus are both poor. Contrast needs to be set at 58 which is almost maximum to get a decent picture and the focus is poor at the  outer 5" of the screen and not great in the centre either.

From the service menu the service counters give 0338 Stand-by days:- 0017 Audio days:- 0443 Video days and 0383 ON/Off (times*10), there are no stored error codes.

Dvd and audio playback are all 0000.

From this I deduce the set has only been used to watch tv. Do the service counters indicate a high or low amount of use, and is the poor picture likely to be a result of a failing tube or something that can be adjusted by a competent technician. The Avant is 7-8yrs old, my MX4000 is a 1991 set yet still has a stunning picture. On this showing I am amazed the Avant gets such high praise the MX4000 appears a much better TV. 

The Avant is in mint exterior condition and would appear to have had little use however the picture tells a different story.

• 08-14-2010 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: Avant poor focus and contrast

Away from the technical points at the moment and not to be elementary... might it simply be dust/grime inside the screen?

Take a look here. Probably worth doing anyway at least as a baseline to get you started. May not help -but can't hurt! Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-14-2010 12:12 PM In reply to

scramble:

From the service menu the service counters give 0338 Stand-by days:- 0017 Audio days:- 0443 Video days and 0383 ON/Off (times*10), there are no stored error codes.

It could have had the chassis changed due to problems and therefore may have been used more than you think.

If the contrast is turned up high, that in itself will effective the focus of the tube.

Regards Keith....

• 08-14-2010 3:00 PM In reply to

Thank you, I've already had the screen off to remove a few specks it's immaculate like the rest of the set.

• 08-14-2010 3:05 PM In reply to

The contrast is set high but this only gives a satisfactory picture.If set to a mid position the picture is poor. 

• 08-14-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

There must be something wrong with the TV. The picture is spectacular on a properly working Avant.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 08-15-2010 3:10 AM In reply to

A further thought,does anyone know how securely the focus coils are attached to the neck of the tube. This tv was transported face down on a pallet, it was well packed and protected from shock however there is the possibility that the coils may have been slighly displaced during the move. Being transported in a face down attitude may have allowed movement of the coils on the tube. The B&O service manual shows the Avant having packing suitable for transporting the tv upright on its stand in the vertical plane.

• 08-15-2010 5:15 AM In reply to

Avant is always to be transported standing up! Especially the RF models (which you have)  are very sensitive to this. If not you can expect tube problems (which seems likely in your case)

• 08-15-2010 7:51 AM In reply to

The Avant transportation issue has been debated on Beoworld many many times. Is it possible that Scramble has provided the proof that screen-down transportation really can create serious problems (despite others having got away with it)?

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-15-2010 8:08 AM In reply to

I moved my Avant in an upright position. I think you're crackers if you try and move it either screen down or lying on its back!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-15-2010 1:21 PM In reply to

Well thanks guys for the input, however whats done is done and I am left with a set that may not have been transported correctly. Can the focus be reset satisfactorily, according to the service manual a signal generator and a reset of several functions is now needed.   

• 08-15-2010 3:10 PM In reply to

I am sorry to say that your problems indicate a fault in the tube itself that cannot be repaired....

To all others about this issue: From the factory there was always the advice to transport upright. The RF models even had a marker on the outside that told you if the crate had been transported not in an upright position. Trust me , i've been in the bussiness and saw many Avants coming through... 

• 08-17-2010 6:38 AM In reply to

Problem solved, B&O technician tweeked the focus took him 30 secs. Rated the set as low use with excellent picture. 

• 08-17-2010 8:19 AM In reply to

scramble:

Problem solved, B&O technician tweeked the focus took him 30 secs. Rated the set as low use with excellent picture. 

Great news! Glad it worked out in the end.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)