in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-26-2010 7:11 PM by david coyne. 148 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2010 3:46 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Re: Can people tell me what exactly is the point of mp3, ipods, etc......?

My day

My Iphone wakes me up with it's alarm and Classic FM. I check my work roster on my Iphone with work to make sure it hasn't been delayed or cancelled. I check the weather at home and my destination with my Iphone and then take the dog for a walk listening to my music on the Iphone.

I check the road network on my Iphone to check for delays then get in my car, which i then plug my Iphone into and listen to my music(again). If i am feeling in touch with my feminine side, i could also put the satnav on my Iphone and blast off to the airport(ignoring the silly woman on the satnav who has no clue)

Before i take off i brief my passengers on the weather at the destination(checked on my Iphone). I then spend 3 hours strapped to a beer fart seat NOT playing Flight Control or Angry Birds on my Iphone!!!!!!

I get back 4 hours later, again check the roads and emails on my Iphone and again listen to my music in the car.

12 hours after it all started i again take my Iphone and the dog for a walk, and again listen to my music.

In my case, that is the point of my MP3 player.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 08-15-2010 4:16 AM In reply to

not sure what a "beer fart" seat is

not sure I want to know Laughing

but I agree with your lifestyle analysis

the answers to the OP question (reformatted) of "what is the point of digitzed media" (please don't shout me down about CDs being digital) are: 

• convenience
    • portability
    • backup
    elsewhere I posted that the BS2 was my best product ... simply because it kept me sane when I was on the road, for weeks or months at a time, away from home comforts like my B&O and my CD collection

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-15-2010 4:27 AM In reply to

A couple of statements from my now 20 years old daughter might clear up the generational gap here.

"Dad, nobody uses e-mail any more."

"I haven't bought a CD in a long time."

She communicates a lot, with people all around the world, instantaneously; and she listens to a lot of music, which she has bought from the net. She prefers in-ear phones, feels they take her completely inside the music.

• 08-15-2010 5:10 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    "Dad, nobody uses e-mail any more."

I am laughing, and I hope that remark does not spark a new debate Laughing Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-15-2010 5:16 AM In reply to

Can we talk about old cars again?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-15-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

The premiership  football season started yesterday.....

• 08-15-2010 5:40 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

sure ...

• 08-15-2010 8:20 AM In reply to

elephant:

j0hnbarker:

sure ...

Great. I did a photo montage of my three now departed classic cars (funking medical school fees Super Angry):

• 08-15-2010 8:31 AM In reply to

J0hn,

'Funking'? Funding I hope. Then again, an expletive might have been intended.Surprise

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-15-2010 8:55 AM In reply to

Lifted from the worldsbestever.com

reason not to buy a bang & olufsen mp3 player

ban-olufsen.jpg

Bang & Olufsen makes amazing home audio products and headphones. Now we have the BeoSound 6 .You would think after reading the customer service question, Can BeoSound 6 playback video?that as a company you might want to lead off with something a little more positive than a No. It's as if you are already admitting defeat. No one wants just "audio" players anymore!

(1)

Posted by: Bendy:

...eeeeexcept for me. I hate multi-function media players, personally. Why would I want to look at my pictures and movies on a 2" screen??? Even on an iPhone sized screen, what is the point????

I'd much rather postpone my viewing experience until I can watch in grand, full size (at least bigger than the size of post-it note).

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-15-2010 9:59 AM In reply to

good luck in carrying that 100 cd collection round in your pocket , pal

• 08-16-2010 3:57 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

j0hnbarker:

sure ...

LOL!! Is that an edsel? Way OT now hahahaha

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-16-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

Dave:

elephant:

j0hnbarker:

sure ...

no way !!! far more successful Smile

It was built by a success story ... the "only" (known?) whip and buggy manufacturer to successfully negotiate the transition from horse drawn wagons to automobiles.

They "entered the automotive business in 1902 with electric vehicles and in 1904 with gasoline vehicles".

Russ might remember a bar at the Tyson's Marriott named after this brand of car ... always a great place for music and beer Laughing Beer Laughing

• 08-16-2010 4:27 AM In reply to

elephant:

Dave:

elephant:

j0hnbarker:

sure ...

no way !!! far more successful Smile

It was built by a success story ... the "only" (known?) whip and buggy manufacturer to successfully negotiate the transition from horse drawn wagons to automobiles.

They "entered the automotive business in 1902 with electric vehicles and in 1904 with gasoline vehicles".

Russ might remember a bar at the Tyson's Marriott named after this brand of car ... always a great place for music and beer Laughing Beer Laughing

Studebaker?

• 08-16-2010 4:28 AM In reply to

Dave:
    edsel

And for comparison here is the concept design of the Edsel; I always loved that bit in "Peggy Sue Got Married" which goes like this:

What do you think, Peggy Sue?

Oh, Dad! You were always doing stuff like that! It's funny.
    It's really funny. You bought an Edsel.

Young lady, what's the matter with you?
    Are you drunk?

• 08-16-2010 4:36 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    Studebaker?

yes !

It was my dad's pride and joy ... and to remain "on topic" (sort of) it had a Blaupunkt radio.

("Founded in 1923 in Berlin as "Ideal", the company changed its name to "Blaupunkt" in 1938, German for "blue point" or "blue dot" after the blue dot painted onto its headphones that had passed quality control.")

• 08-16-2010 5:45 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Car radios with inbuilt storage, or a plug for either an iPod or a thumb drive is excellent as well. You can keep it there, and have all your music with you, easy to choose, and you can even bring podcasts and audio books ad naseum with you instead of those ten cd's or more that some people prefer to bring and swap constantly.

• 08-16-2010 6:00 AM In reply to

Electrified:

Car radios with inbuilt storage, or a plug for either an iPod or a thumb drive is excellent as well. You can keep it there, and have all your music with you, easy to choose, and you can even bring podcasts and audio books ad naseum with you instead of those ten cd's or more that some people prefer to bring and swap constantly.

And in other news: The Pope is Catholic and bears sh1t in the woods!

Seriously though, how much choice do you need when driving? 10 CDs = 100s of songs. And then there's three wavebands each with about 10 stations to pick from. What are you driving and where are you driving to if you need to anaesthetise yourself from the experience to such an extent that an entire music library is required? I usually just enjoy the drive/traffic jam etc.

• 08-16-2010 6:05 AM In reply to

For the convenience of being able to choose what you want whenever you want without being constrained by the decision of which CDs you decided to bring with you before leaving?

• 08-16-2010 6:09 AM In reply to

csmager:

For the convenience of being able to choose what you want whenever you want without being constrained by the decision of which CDs you decided to bring with you before leaving? 

Is that really how you define convenience? To have to consider every option before making a selection?

I guess it depends on what you drive.

• 08-16-2010 6:16 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:
    And in other news: The Pope is Catholic and bears sh1t in the woods!

Funny you should write that, since you're still not getting it - which is quite evident from the rest of your post:

j0hnbarker:
    Seriously though, how much choice do you need when driving? 10 CDs = 100s of songs.

Analogous thinking at work ...

Just because one has the "worth" of 10 cd's or more, doesn't mean one has to listen to it from one end to another.

Secondly, with playlists, you can choose to select songs by mood, without having to choose one particular song on each cd. You don't have to swap cd's, and you don't have to burn new cd's when you grow tired of those ten you have in your car. Of course, you could bring the originals if you want, but you'd still have to make your mind up before you go, instead of letting your mood, traffic, scenery, weather influence you and then make a choice. And you'd still need to burn those podcasts if you want to listen to them in the car.

Many audio books are sold on cd's, so I guess you could slide one of those in too. Just make sure that you remember where you were, because you'll have to find it again manually when you want to hear the rest of it. Unlike if you use an iPod or a thumbdrive or whatever.

And then there's three wavebands each with about 10 stations to pick from. What are you driving and where are you driving to if you need to anaesthetise yourself from the experience to such an extent that an entire music library is required?

Utterly invalid argument. Having five songs or 1000 songs is no different when it comes to anaesthetisation. You're listening to one song at a time no matter how many tracks you bring along and no matter which format you bring on it on. Quite being daft.

[Add: Actually, here in Denmark and most of Europe, we use the FM band for analogue radio. We don't use AM, LW, or MW for much).

I usually just enjoy the drive/traffic jam etc.

So you don't bring any music and don't listen to any radio. Gottcha.

• 08-16-2010 6:16 AM In reply to

Well, there is such a thing as podcasts, you can subscribe to them, and a large number of radio stations and other providers, around the world, provide excellent podcasts - music, debate, documentaries, etc.

I subscribe to several podcasts from BBC World Service, BBC3, my own country's radio stations, and radio stations from other nations.

These are automatically stored in my iPhone, while the podcasts I've already listened to are deleted, or else removed after a time I have selected.

So I have a steady supply of "radio programmes" available to me, all without advertising, all in good to excellent sound quality, all on topics that interest me - that's quite good, I think.

• 08-16-2010 6:19 AM In reply to

Convenience is saving time and energy.  You don't have to mess about with sorting your CD selection before you get in the car.  If I want to listen to, say, Pink Floyd's "The Wall', I just listen to it.  I don't have to consider anything.

I'd say you have to consider far more options when you decide which 6 CDs our of your 100s you're going to take with you.  Your mood later on might not be the same.

• 08-16-2010 6:35 AM In reply to

Ok Guys - here's the deal:

I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro (with all my CDs ripped to), and my car has the facility to plug my iPhone directly into the stereo. I don't live in a wood cabin with only a block of tofu and some water purificiation tablets for company. Therefore, I do have the means to live the digitised existence that you clearly espouse. I choose not to because I have other things in my life that I wish to devote my time and energies to. If I drive somewhere, I often find that I take pleasure out of piloting my machine from point A to B. Why on earth I would want to choose from 1000s of songs when I often find making a choice from 100 or so (in the CD changer in the boot) is beyond me!

Perhaps there's a language or cultural barrier here. But all you guys are doing is repeatedly stating matters of fact as if they are some kind of revelation to me! Electrified talks about the wonders of having a spoken word book on an Ipod as if this is the latest development in mobile technology!

Bring back 8-track carts I say.

• 08-16-2010 6:47 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:

Ok Guys - here's the deal:

I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro (with all my CDs ripped to), and my car has the facility to plug my iPhone directly into the stereo. I don't live in a wood cabin with only a block of tofu and some water purificiation tablets for company. therefore, I do have the means to live the digitised existence that you clearly espouse.

The opening post asks about "the point of MP3s, iPods, etc." and since the discussion got rerouted to cars and then car radios, it seems like it was on topic. And clearly, from your argumentation, it is evident that you don't see any point in it either, but prefer to have your 10 cds in your boot and make a choice from them.

The wood cabin and block of tofu is your own invention, but if this discussion makes you feel that way, perhaps there is some truth to it.

I choose not to because I have other things in my life that I wish to devote my time and energies to.

That's the point: You don't have to "devote [your] time and energy" to anything - you're giving much more freedom.

If I drive somewhere, I often find that I take pleasure out of piloting my machine from point A to B. Why on earth I would want to choose from 1000s of songs when I often find making a choice from 100 or so (in the CD changer in the boot) is beyond me!

[my emphasis]

Yes, we know by now. Let me repeat: Just because you have more tracks in your boot, glove compartment or inbuilt in your car stereo doesn't mean you will get less "pleasure out of piloting [your] machine from point A to B". It's a logical fallacy to suggest that is the case.

Perhaps there's a language or cultural barrier here. But all you guys are doing is repeatedly stating matters of fact as if they are some kind of revelation to me! Electrified talks about the wonders of having a spoken word book on an Ipod as if this is the latest development in mobile technology!

No, I'm talking about "the point" of having your music and general audio with you on a file based system as opposed to have them on a linear (and optical) media.

Bring back 8-track carts I say

8-track was only cool and popular in the US. It never made it elsewhere. But 8-tracks was very little different from using cassette tapes or cd's (in your boot or otherwise).

Page 5 of 6 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >