in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-26-2010 7:11 PM by david coyne. 148 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-13-2010 6:31 PM In reply to

Re: Can people tell me what exactly is the point of mp3, ipods, etc......?

Bentleyman:

i just waiting for you to actually put something about b&o on here.....

Honestly can't see how this is relevant.  Your discussion centers around digital media as a concept.  Hell, it even mentions iPod in the title.  So how does whether you use B&O equipment have any bearing on whether you're allowed to have an opinion?

• 08-13-2010 6:46 PM In reply to

Bentleyman:

i dont think so pal....shooting holes....??!!

if you read all the comments on this thread - its actaully about 50/50 in fact

i have nothing against your opinions or preferences but if your gonna criticize mine, then I'm gonna tear u up :)

i just waiting for you to actually put something about b&o on here.....

Michael.  Dude.  You didn't say jack about using a BS2 in your OP.  Do you not see the other replies also shooting holes in your statements?  Are you selectively reading?  Are you trolling me?  Do you think a 15 year old stereo your dad bought you and 150 lousy CDs, no working headphones, and a used car entitles you to be elitist?  Are you setting the bar really really low?

OP question: what's the point of mp3s, ipods etc (as the subject states)?

Answers: Ease of use, portability

Your reply to those answers: but people with headphones are morons and it all sounds non-hi-fi unlike my CRT TV speakers!

In any case:

• 08-13-2010 6:47 PM In reply to

for the mere reason that this is a bang & olufsen site that you (and he) are on! and that fella never seems to mention b&o at all.

going back to my original post, I simply asked what mp3 or ipod could do for me, what am I missing by NOT having one ~ apart from having access to infinate numbers of downloaded tracks (not necessary for me) and having portable sound through ear/headphones (again, not wanted or needed), i have not heard any kind of convincing reason for me to go and buy one.

This is what i suspected all along in fact. So i will continue to listen to my old hi-fi, he is very happy with his iPhone and iPad audio sources ~ so everybody's happy i guess..!!

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 08-13-2010 6:56 PM In reply to

dilznik:
     Do you think a 15 year old stereo your dad bought you and 150 lousy CDs, no working headphones, and a used car entitles you to be elitist?

Listen man, I dont know where your getting this from..

my father has never 'bought me' any b&o stuff.....my small cd collection is the specific artists etc that I wish to listen to, I recently sold a mint pair of Form 1 headphones. And my choice of motors are my own choice and nothing to do with you, or this post....

...i'm not making any judgements about you, nor am i trying to criticize you or your preferences.....so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't keep trying to make judgement calls about what I have & where it came from..!

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

• 08-13-2010 7:04 PM In reply to

You can connect these things to a decent hi-fi, you know - PUC controlled Apple TV / Mac Mini / Other HTPC.  There is actually only one B&O digital music source on the market.  And not everybody's a huge fan for various reasons.  I can't see a lot of justification in discussing B&O products in this thread, and it's not really relevant to the general gist of the discussion anyway.

We understand you're not a fan of listening to music through headphones - though you were undeniabily condecending and very judgemental about anybody who, god forbid, might actually do this.

There are other advantages even if you leave this out.  But it does just depends what you get on with - some people don't like change.  You mentioned in one post that you don't need to take your music with you, then mention using CDs in your cars.  Surely that's taking it with you?  You can only take so much.  Then you've left it in the car and you want to listen to it at home.. and vice versa.

What if you had a fleet of cars?  You'd soon end up with no idea where your 150 Cds were.  You could buy multiple copies?

Or each of your cars might have an iPod/MP3 interface - these are now pretty brilliant.  Just take it from car to car.  No worrying about scratching discs or having to decide which 6 discs to load into the changer.

What if you had multiple homes?

I'd have lossless audio files stored on a PC and replicate this via VPN to as many locations as I like.  Have something like a Mac Mini or Beosound 5 connected to your various hi-fi setups and your music is in all your reisdences at the touch of a button.  No hassle.

I still buy CDs, but I usually take them out the packaging, rip them, put them on a shelf and never touch again.  I still nearly always listen by album, but I find it easier to find it in the list than actually mess about with discs.

• 08-13-2010 7:48 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I would like to emphasize something that hasn't been made absolutely clear until very recently (see above post).

It is not required that an iPod is used with headphones, I myself have dedicated an Apple iPod dock to my B&O Hi-Fi (BeoSystem 4500, BeoLab 5000 and BeoVox Conas). I use this combination of equipment every single day.

The dock was $50, the iPod (fisrt and only!) was $375. I have been enjoying these items for over 5 years now.

Bentleyman, I strongly urge you to just test it out, if its not for you, simply return it all to the store.

Evan

• 08-13-2010 7:59 PM In reply to

Thanks Evman, maybe I will try it out after allSmile

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

• 08-13-2010 8:03 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:
    I have a BeoSound Century and whilst it may look 'nice' the dam design makes it TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to play it at a decent volume without the CD skipping due to the bass upsetting the pick up.

Hmm -sounds like you haven't released the transport screws Erm I've had a BS Century -and I can tell you that it can play at full volume without the CD skipping Stick out tongueWink

By the way..."dilznik" what are you doing on this site??? Just complaining about B&O and praising your iPhone...Why don't you just go to a forum for the worshippers of Apple?Wink

• 08-13-2010 11:43 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Bentleyman:

Thanks Evman, maybe I will try it out after allSmile

Glad I could talk you into it!  I'm listening to it all right now! Laughing

Be sure to rip your CDs into lossless quality, you will be much happier. Make sure the iPod you choose can play back lossless song files.

If you need help getting it all put together, or in deciding on what equipment to get, let us know!

Evan

• 08-14-2010 5:18 AM In reply to

Bentleyman:
    ...i'm not making any judgements about you, nor am i trying to criticize you or your preferences....

I suggest you go back and read your condescending posts right from the second post you made on this thread.  You'll find that, indeed, you were making judgements and criticizing.

• 08-14-2010 5:23 AM In reply to

Steffen:

By the way..."dilznik" what are you doing on this site??? Just complaining about B&O and praising your iPhone...Why don't you just go to a forum for the worshippers of Apple?Wink

Sigh.

From yesterday: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34932/290150.aspx#290150

From previously: http://forum.beoworld.org/members/dilznik/activities/default.aspx

Learn to use the search function if you find me that interesting.  Or just click on my name if the search feature is too difficult for you.

• 08-14-2010 6:32 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

A decent pair of headphones coupled to even an average portable music player will surpass most "hifi". It will certainly surpass any setup with passive speakers as it has no crossover and most active setups as well. There's a reason we use headphones for monitoring, and always double check things with headphones.

The only thing headphones can't do for obvious reasons is imaging, in that there is no physical cross bleed, but quite substantial physical separation between the right and left channel.

Even some sub par headphones as the Form 1 (sub par in a monitoring context) or even the standard iPod headphones will give even very good* passive setups a run for the money.

*Passive speakers have per definition a lot of distortion because of the (passive) crossover.

• 08-14-2010 6:42 AM In reply to

Goodness! Just revisited this thread! No idea why things are so heated! No-one has to use an MP3 player if they don't want - the original question was addressing the point of them. I think there are very valid reasons why digital players and files are now around in huge numbers though as stated before, it is clearly up to the individual whether they use them or not. I don't think that the use of non B&O technology should be criticised as B&O have not been very good at implementing it! The BS2 did sound OK but was hamstrung by a lack of display. The BS5 is no more useful to me than my computer attached to my B&O system. I can access my music using a Beo4 just as easily and have far more storage as well as a system to play CDs.

I confess to using digital files more and more - searching through the spines of LPs and CDs is getting trickier with age and I can use my iPhone to find just the album I want and set it to play.

I also don't mind who contributes to the discussion. Some of us have had or have large collections of B&O products - some will have maybe just the A8 earphones or a bottle opener. But we all have an opinion and the sharing of opinions is what the internet is all about. People may discount another's opinion for all sorts of reasons but it is still an opinion and valid for that reason. Disagree by all means but please do it in a friendly manner.

• 08-14-2010 6:52 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

I also don't mind who contributes to the discussion. Some of us have had or have large collections of B&O products - some will have maybe just the A8 earphones or a bottle opener. But we all have an opinion and the sharing of opinions is what the internet is all about. People may discount another's opinion for all sorts of reasons but it is still an opinion and valid for that reason. Disagree by all means but please do it in a friendly manner.

I agree with the sentiment of that.

One has to keep an open mind and not make oneself believe that any brand exists in a vacuum,no matter how high on the list of "personal favourite brands" they are.

It's a brand, and one can be more or less loyal to it, but the reality is that no brand in this world, especially if it's to survive and make money, exists in a vacuum.

I disagree a bit about any opinions being valid, as that's simply not true, but that could be just me (and I'm not about to go into a hefty discussion about it, lol).

Edit: Grammar, paragraphs etc.

• 08-14-2010 6:55 AM In reply to

Probably put the last bit badly - more meant as everyone is entitled to their opinion - clearly some opinions are simply wrong - earth flat etc - but people are entitled to express them.

• 08-14-2010 6:59 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Peter :
    Probably put the last bit badly - more meant as everyone is entitled to their opinion - clearly some opinions are simply wrong - earth flat etc - but people are entitled to express them.

That was what I hoped you meant! Smile

• 08-14-2010 7:18 AM In reply to

Guys - calm down. 

The Beosound 2 is the best MP3 player ever, with the bestest ever user interface. I'm off to go sing its virtues on an Apple forum with some asbestos gloves on as I type.

Can we talk about old cars again?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-14-2010 7:51 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Guys - calm down. 

The Beosound 2 is the best MP3 player ever, with the bestest ever user interface. I'm off to go sing its virtues on an Apple forum with some asbestos gloves on as I type.

Can we talk about old cars again?

HahahaBig Smile

Nice one John..Laughing but seems like Mr Ditznik doesnt sound like he likes or appreciates anything 'old' ~ only seems impressed with the very latest techy type stuff...

Beoworlds very own 'comic book guy' Laughing

Laughing

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

• 08-14-2010 8:21 AM In reply to

Bentleyman:

Nice one John..Laughing but seems like Mr Ditznik doesnt sound like he likes or appreciates anything 'old' ~ only seems impressed with the very latest techy type stuff...

Not true.  I just don't like crap.  And stupidasses that waste my time.

• 08-14-2010 1:43 PM In reply to

Don't panic Dilznik!

Myself and Bentleyman are soon to retire our our cabin in the woods where we'll be holed up with some spanners, an Edison cylinder phonograph and several shotguns whilst we wait for the 78rpm revolution ;)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-14-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

dilznik:

Steffen:

Sigh.

From yesterday: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34932/290150.aspx#290150

From previously: http://forum.beoworld.org/members/dilznik/activities/default.aspx

Learn to use the search function if you find me that interesting.  Or just click on my name if the search feature is too difficult for you.

And here's another one from dilznik:
    (quote) "I ride public transportation an hour to and from work every day. If I didn't have music on my iPhone and earbuds in my ears I'd be forced to listen to the inane ramblings of complete idiots the whole way."
    Well well -you're in quite a mood. Everybody else is idiots, jerks etc. Have a nice day.
  • 08-14-2010 4:01 PM In reply to

linder:

This thread is turning out to be a lot of fun.

Ever thought that you might have spoken too soon Linder?

More a lesson in how wars can be started!

For what it's worth I am currently listening to Radio Paradise NRadio through a BM2000 married to S45's and a Pinnacle/Roku Soundbridge. Equipment spanning about 40 years of changing technologies, and a music broadcaster from whom many could learn a lesson or two.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-14-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

vikinger:

For what it's worth I am currently listening to Radio Paradise NRadio through a BM2000 married to S45's and a Pinnacle/Roku Soundbridge. Equipment spanning about 40 years of changing technologies, and a music broadcaster from whom many could learn a lesson or two.

Radio Paradise is one of my favourites as well! As I said before - I like to discover new stuff instead of just playing "my music" day after day, and probably half of the RP playlist turns out to be something I've never heard before, but usually like...

-mika

• 08-14-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

It's not the fact that I'm old school but I never gotten into the habit of having headphones on every day in public where ever I'm going. Also my main pc has got so little music on it and I never download any. I don't own an Ipod but its just todays walkman really. I aint got a problem with that.

The only thing I can see is that as I'm so happy with my 3 Beosystems 6000, 8000 and 6500 is that a Beomaster 5 would be able to contain all my music which is on different formats like lp's, cd's, cassete tapes and DAT's without me having to find just that one. Once its found it simple enough to locate any tracks thanks to B&O allready being ahead of their time with for instance the timer on a Beocord 9000.

Again my B&O happiness would properly make a Beomaster 5 just as well as what I've allready got but in a more simpel format. The big thing is the budget for one and the need.

It took me longer to get into buying a cd player at first. Now I like playing all the formats I got but I don't know about going to a hard disc one or say a Beosound 9000 only.

• 08-14-2010 8:07 PM In reply to

I give up.  Bentley dude and the other people whose names I can't be bothered to scroll back to find are right.  Everything B&O is super awesome especially the BS2 (which apparently this thread was about despite the OP's failure to point that out until page 2 or so), everything Apple is totally crap including the iPad and iPhone, ripping to digital is a colossal waste of time, iPod and mp3s are completely useless, headphones are garbage, and everything else I've argued in favor of is junk.  On top of that, Bentleystud is very good looking and I'm ugly.  And whoever it was that also bashed me has a giant johnson and mine is small and shriveled and possibly syphilic. Arguing with these people is nothing at all like arguing with a dog or a small 2 year old despite the similar debate skills (none).  I am in awe of their awesomeness and their B&Oness and clearly the well drawn fact that I hate everything about B&O despite my 300+ other posts on this board about how I like B&O which, by the way, is more than all of theirs put together, doesn't express my love of B&O to a satisfactory level.

Also I smell bad and they are very positively fragrant.

Also the comic book guy from The Simpsons rocks.

WORST.  EPISODE. EVER.

I am wrong and they are right despite a complete lack of argument on their behalf from any of them, including Bentleybro.

In short, I suck.  They rule.  The school.

Steffen:

And here's another one from dilznik:
    (quote) "I ride public transportation an hour to and from work every day. If I didn't have music on my iPhone and earbuds in my ears I'd be forced to listen to the inane ramblings of complete idiots the whole way."

You've clearly never been on my train.  Really.  You'd jab pencils in your ears.  It doesn't help that most of the riders are school kids. And the rest are arguing with their brokers about why they should buy Webvan RIGHT NOW.

Page 4 of 6 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >