in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-05-2010 7:10 AM by Beolab1. 66 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-11-2010 4:54 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Re: Goodbye BeoSound 9000 ?

One of the things I don't like about cd-players are the mechs going wrong. One of the reasons I bought a Thinkpad X200s was that it didn't have a DVD/CD-drive. The mechs, especially slotloaders break pretty fast and often and is the reason a company like AVI HiFi stopped making them years ago, but other HiFi companies have done the same for the same reason. I use an external DVD/CD drive for my ripping needs. For installation I use flash-cards and flash drives where I have ripped the installation discs to (or have saved the downloads from Adobe to). Much faster when needed and much easier all around. I do need a cd-ripper, because I buy cds as that is the lowest quality I want to listen to, and I like having them as "hard copies" for safety's sake.

If a CD-players was to be inbuilt, I'd hope they put a non-slotloader in it, and that they placed it in the (smaller version, hopefully) BM5 and made it easy to swap it. The horrors of changing a slot-loader from Powerbooks and Macbook Pros, voiding the warranty in the process comes back to me Ick!

If it's wishful thinking-day - and lets face, which day isn't just that? - I'd like to see FM and DAB, with an upgrade path to DAB+ when that arrives.

• 08-11-2010 5:50 AM In reply to

I've said this before, but I see no reason why you couldn't just plug an USB CD drive to the BM5, spend one afternoon downloading free pieces of software and configuring them to work together, and having the BM5 do the ripping more or less automatically.

Far from a B&O experience and totally unsupported, though... also I don't believe you'd ever get a user interface for this on the BS5.

I agree on the unreliability of current CD drives. But looking at the retail price and removing the markup and other expenses, you probably end up at far less than $10 per unit at the factory when mass ordered... what can you expect for a device with precision electromechanics at that price?

-mika

• 08-11-2010 6:04 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

There was not much interest in this:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/33779.aspx

But it seems to work.

For me the Beo solution is the best, because my macbokk is always powered on anyway, and I just have to start Parallels...

Stefan

• 08-11-2010 6:05 AM In reply to

Like many, I'm almost surprised that BeoSound 9000 lasted so long, because although I find the design timeless, the features are really outdated.

At least for the same price, BeoCenter 2 offers a better display and DVD playback (but still no HDMI/upscaling for a EUR 4,000 DVD /radio!!).

What bothers me is that, once again, B&O were not able to make the product evolve with technology. Apart from the NMUSIC/NRADIO "upgrade", the CD drive still can't play CRDWs, the radio never had DAB, the socket panel never got a new USB or Ethernet input, which would have allowed the connection of any storage device , from the simple USB pendrive to a 1 Tb hard disk, to enable playback of all digital files right away, without the need to buy an extra BeoPort box. I love my BeoPort with the Mac interface, but can't help thinking it would have been easier for everyone to fit all BeoSounds & BeoVisions with a USB and/or Ethernet connection to integrate with the existing home network and play the audio files on the BeoSounds, and the video files on the BeoVisions...

Let's hope the replacement BeoSound offers full digital integration with the existing home network, 2-way communication (if no remote offers this anymore) and digital output for BeoLab 5!Wink

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 08-11-2010 6:26 AM In reply to

stefan:

But it seems to work.

I guess it would've created more interest if it had actually described a solution... Smile

-mika

• 08-11-2010 7:06 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:
    ... what can you expect for a device with precision electromechanics at that price?

Hehe, not much, but I have taken the consequence of it to some extent :)

• 08-11-2010 7:16 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

tournedos:

stefan:

But it seems to work.

I guess it would've created more interest if it had actually described a solution... Smile

Yes, sure. Agree....

Stefan

• 08-11-2010 9:26 AM In reply to

Let's hope the replacement BeoSound offers full digital integration with the existing home network, 2-way communication (if no remote offers this anymore) and digital output for BeoLab 5!Wink

B&O should indeed invest in a full new digital platform. The beosound5 could have been that fresh start but sadly missed the point all together.

Drop all the proprietary datalink, powerlink, masterlink, MLGW crap and just make units that simply connect with ethernet from one unit to another.
    With added advantage to make it easily wireless if needed. 

The hundreds of different wires and converters (beolink, MCL2a, beoport,...) needed to run a B&O system have always been nothing but bandaids trying to keep a completely outdated (80ies) system running. Now 30!!! years later it's more than time to move on ......
    It finally would liberate B&O to make new ideas and concepts a reality. 

• 08-11-2010 1:34 PM In reply to

• Marc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

The BS5 did not convince me at all. If B&O would offer a decent digital solution I would definately buy it. But it needs to integrate with Ethernet, WLAN, apple itunes, as well as comprise of a 2-way remote control.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Speakers: Beolab 5, Beolab 3, Beolab 10, Beolab 2, DeToma Subwoofer; CD Player: Beosound 9000; TV/Video: Beovision 4-65 inkl. Beosystem 3, Panasonic BlueRay Player, Technisat Digital Receiver; Home Integration: Beoport, BeoLink Wireless, Beo 4, Beo 5, Beotime, Apple TV

• 08-11-2010 2:20 PM In reply to

Humm BeoSound 5  doesn't really do anything that my iPod Nano doesn't do!!! And the iPod works wonderful in my car...

Filed under:
  • 08-11-2010 3:57 PM In reply to

• Marc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

B&O has to accept that in the digital world a audio system has to be open to various standards. 

I have my music collection on my mac, on my various iPods (Car, flight travel, etc.). A closed system does not fulfill my requirements.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Speakers: Beolab 5, Beolab 3, Beolab 10, Beolab 2, DeToma Subwoofer; CD Player: Beosound 9000; TV/Video: Beovision 4-65 inkl. Beosystem 3, Panasonic BlueRay Player, Technisat Digital Receiver; Home Integration: Beoport, BeoLink Wireless, Beo 4, Beo 5, Beotime, Apple TV

• 08-11-2010 4:09 PM In reply to

It's no less open than an iPod.  What do you want it to do?

• 08-11-2010 4:17 PM In reply to

• Marc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

I want ist to be able to read my itunes library. Furthermore, I want to create my own music categories und want to catalogue the music I want and not B&O wants. The BS5 is far to rigid. I also want the BS5 WLAN and ethernet capable.

• 08-11-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

You want it to sync with iTunes?  You'll have to talk Apple into that.  No device other than an Apple device will sync with iTunes, unless you use some extremely clunky workarounds.

Wireless is possible, but it'd be a bit slow at syncing by Wi-Fi.  You could put a wireless bridge on the ethernet port, or probably shove a USB Wi-Fi adapter in it.  It's a PC, after all.

Not totally sure what you mean on the cataloguing point, so I won't comment, but I would agree there are plenty of things in the operation of the BS5 and how to make it work in a whole-house link scenario that need addressing.  In an ideal world, the most 'open' solution for getting the music to it is for it to just monitor a network folder where all my music is stored.  It can replicate that onto its own drive if they think that's a good idea for reliability and scanning for MOTS purposes.

• 08-11-2010 4:54 PM In reply to

• Marc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

I also think that B&= should have s. th. similiar to apples remote app. for iphone and iPad. If you have an Ipad for what do you need to purchase BS5 for approx € 4000? You can get a mac mini for € 800 which would do as well

• 08-11-2010 6:39 PM In reply to

csmager:

You want it to sync with iTunes?  You'll have to talk Apple into that.  No device other than an Apple device will sync with iTunes, unless you use some extremely clunky workarounds.

You may have missed this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1037

• 08-11-2010 6:39 PM In reply to

csmager:

I guess you never looked at systems like Sonos or Squeezebox. Compatible with iTunes out of the box. As well as importing playlists made from iTunes.

• 08-12-2010 3:21 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    You may have missed this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1037[

The download page?  Confused

DoubleU:
    I guess you never looked at systems like Sonos or Squeezebox. Compatible with iTunes out of the box. As well as importing playlists made from iTunes.

I hadn't, but I just have.  Looks like the clunky workarounds I was talking about - it will either use the iTunes API or just straight parse the iTunes XML file to work out the contents of the library and playlists.  There's no 'sync' control from iTunes as such, so any 'sync' has to be intitiated by the client software. 

To be honest, I avoid iTunes as much as possible - on Windows, it is the most appalling piece of software.  It's bloated, causes offline folder issues, is the only piece of software that somehow manages to bluescreen my laptop, is extraordinarily slow and won't monitor folders to keep the library up-to-date.  Yet it works really well on a Mac?  Just lazy.  I only have it installed because I have an iPhone - but I'd bin it without a second thought if I could.  If I bought a BS5, all my lossless music is in WMA Lossless - so iTunes isn't an option. 

• 08-12-2010 2:48 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

petermc:

If the BS5 gets a CD player built in I will be very happy.

One of the main things that annoys me about the current model is that I have to connect it to a computer. I would prefer to directly load onto it. Also the capacity should be nothing less that 2 tb and easily upgradeable at a later stage

And it needs to integrate seemlessly with Beolink.

The BS9000 in our house is still used every day.

Peter

I fully agree with you!

• 08-12-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

As with most B&o the beosound 9000 is a piece of art, comparable with famous contemporary furniture (Oh, that's a painfull remark in audiophile-country), and as such should not be stopped! It should in stead be technically updated. Same story with the beocenter 2, timeless classic, make it blueray. Simply unbelievable that B&o doesn't do this. Why does Vitra still produce the Eames chairs? And Thonet?

• 08-12-2010 3:37 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

burantek:

Flappo:

why don't they keep the concept and update it to handle dvd's and even blu rays ?

...and how about reducing the size of the removable keypad and adding an iPod dock and/or SD card reader under the door?

Just how often does anyone use the keypad anyway?

I think the answer to this question is, B&O simply do not do things like this, they start from scratch, it's one of the reasons why the products cost so much, and last for such a long time

Not entirely true, the BeoSound 3000 was upgraded with a hard drive, old design meets new tech but the open mech it's just too noisy for the purpose of video playback

• 08-13-2010 9:56 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

I just spoke to Sale support Copenhagen Denmark, and this fact it´s not true people

The only BS9000 that is going to be discontinued is the Limited Edition White BS9000 next month in September!

B&O got 15 units of the White BS9000 left according to Sale support B&O Denmark.

Best regards!

Fredrik L

BL8000 MkII Black

• 08-13-2010 10:01 AM In reply to

The fact it's a limited edition meant it was never going to be 'continued' in the first place, though?  There was always going to be a limited run, and they're numbered.

• 08-13-2010 10:17 AM In reply to

• Marc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

Thats good news. Apart from the BL5, I found the BS9000 one of the most appealing B&O products.

• 08-13-2010 10:24 AM In reply to

jc:

As with most B&o the beosound 9000 is a piece of art, comparable with famous contemporary furniture (Oh, that's a painfull remark in audiophile-country), and as such should not be stopped! It should in stead be technically updated. Same story with the beocenter 2, timeless classic, make it blueray. Simply unbelievable that B&o doesn't do this. Why does Vitra still produce the Eames chairs? And Thonet?

I totally agree - I feel that an upgraded BS9000 design, with greater functionality for digital playback, will still have pride of place. While CD-sales are going down, there are lots of CDs out there, and the BS9000 was the closest one got the a "vinyl-feel" in playback of CDs. It's a statement unit, just needs some new wheels.

Page 2 of 3 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >