in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-05-2010 7:10 AM by Beolab1. 66 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (67 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-10-2010 11:16 AM

• SecretSheep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2008
    • In the field outside 'The Farm' - Struer
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Goodbye BeoSound 9000 ?

Well, there we were munching on some grass...  when the sales figures for the BeoSound 9000 over the last 12 months were laid on the managements desks.  Honestly, they looked like we do when we've just been sheared - not very impressed.

Sales of the Ltd Edition version didn't exactly set the world alight, so the thoughts are now turning to discontinuing the BeoSound 9000 in favour of some new BeoSound 5 variant..

That said though - we were munching grass at the time and our ears get a bit noisy as it's quite tough turf around the farm building..

Watch this space - an announcement should come within the next couple of months.

They think we're just eating grass....
  • 08-10-2010 11:37 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: Goodbye BeoSound 9000 ?

Lucky that I got mine....

any details about  "some new Beosound 5 variant"?

Stefan

• 08-10-2010 12:29 PM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

stefan:
    Lucky that I got mine....

mine tooBig Smile

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 08-10-2010 12:44 PM In reply to

All good things must come to an end...

I couldn't imagine not having mine. It is probably the last bit of B&o kit I would depart with!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-10-2010 12:53 PM In reply to

why don't they keep the concept and update it to handle dvd's and even blu rays ?

• 08-10-2010 12:58 PM In reply to

Flappo:

why don't they keep the concept and update it to handle dvd's and even blu rays ?

...and how about reducing the size of the removable keypad and adding an iPod dock and/or SD card reader under the door?

Just how often does anyone use the keypad anyway?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-10-2010 1:08 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

burantek:

...and how about reducing the size of the removable keypad and adding an iPod dock and/or SD card reader under the door?

At the end of the day it'll still be proudly displaying 6 CD's - a format which is frankly starting to look visually dated now..

(says me who bought one of the White Ltd Edition ones...) Whistle

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-10-2010 1:19 PM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

9 LEE:

At the end of the day it'll still be proudly displaying 6 CD's - a format which is frankly starting to look visually dated now..

it is at least a visual format. and not just a bunch of numbers on a HDD.Smile

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 08-10-2010 1:25 PM In reply to

CDs are dead...

just like records...

oh wait...I just bought a high-end turntable this year!  I guess I'm wrong!b

• 08-10-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

macjonny1:

CDs are dead...

just like records...

oh wait...I just bought a high-end turntable this year!  I guess I'm wrong!b

You're both right and wrong.

You can't download an LP - it's an analog registration of a piece of music, bound physically to the medium it is conveneyed through.

The CD, however, is just a container for a digital file which can just as easily be transported/transmitted with a variety of other containers. In fact, the CD is a pretty cumbersome way of doing that, compared to what's available now.

Vinyl is making a resurgence because people like the ritual; CDs are dead.

• 08-10-2010 2:56 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Flappo:

Open Mech for DVD or BR DVD wouldn't work because it spins at a faster rate and creates more noise. Even the Avant DVD mech created a racket and it was a closed thin casing.[quote user

• 08-10-2010 3:03 PM In reply to

• archie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 497
    • Bronze Member

Sad,

it is time to buy another one for my descent.....

DU BEAU, DU BON, DU BO.

• 08-10-2010 3:14 PM In reply to

• Marc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

Would be sad if they decided to discontinue BS9000. For me it is one of the greatest design pieces of B&O and I Do love mine.

Even today the BS9000 looks great on stand as well as on wall.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Speakers: Beolab 5, Beolab 3, Beolab 10, Beolab 2, DeToma Subwoofer; CD Player: Beosound 9000; TV/Video: Beovision 4-65 inkl. Beosystem 3, Panasonic BlueRay Player, Technisat Digital Receiver; Home Integration: Beoport, BeoLink Wireless, Beo 4, Beo 5, Beotime, Apple TV

• 08-10-2010 3:16 PM In reply to

Soundproof really I think you are right.

I recently procured a BS9000 with 4 BL4000 speakers.  Sold the BL4000 speakers for as much as I paid for the total setup, essentially getting the BS9000 (a MK III unit) for "free."  That kind of a deal, or a good used one, would be the only way I would purchase one of these.  Now I use it as a stereo receiver for a 2nd TV as well.

• 08-10-2010 3:17 PM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

9 LEE:
    a format which is frankly starting to look visually dated now.
    If you are badly stuck with" a white dated format", I have a good home for it! 

Valve1

• 08-10-2010 4:01 PM In reply to

Wouldn't be surprised if they did stop production of the BSS9000.
    I love the white edition myself and is still one of the most beautiful pieces of design ever conceived. 

However.....it also stresses the need for new ideas in (beosound or beocenter) units.
    I love the flagship designs as the BS9000 or the beosound3200/ouverture but what is left if they are no longer produced ? 

The beocenter2, though well designed,  is now even more dated as he BS9000 as the dvd player is dead.

The beosound 4 , though functional and compact is lacking very much the refined B&O touch... What where they thinking making a black brick like that ? It's my least favourite design for sure.

The beosound 5 ..... in a combo with the beomaster5 ...a 2 box solution ?  Talking about overpriced and limited.
    I love the interface, but it's more than time to take this concept and produce a new and fully functional (all covering) line of products around it.
    With wifi connected (easily programmable) 2-way remotes with full video capabilities, all new concept audio and videomasters and link room units.

• 08-10-2010 7:36 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

SecretSheep:
    in favour of some new BeoSound 5 variant..

Sorry to a party pooper (or wake killer ...), but that is damn good news.

I can see why it's sad to say goodbye to something as iconic as the 9000, but if it means a new and proper digital media solution will come forth, I really don't care. I want an updated BS5, preferably with a headphones jack, podcast support and in general at least being reasonably featured (which we have talked about in that other thread).

And if the Beo5 becomes two-way (i.e. able to show covers or at least a file tree), that would be so good!

• 08-10-2010 7:53 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

What a sad day when the CD and BeoSound 9000 are declared dead. Many people still have cabinets full of CD's and don't want to bother with putting everything on a computer or hard disk. It's always such a hassle and you have to keep on adding when you purchase new ones. Also, most of my old cd's still play perfectly and sound the same as they did 25 years ago. I haven't seen that durability in a hard disk or any other storage medium. The BeoSound 9000 is also the only device from B&O that works perfectly in a link setup because you can choose six cd's or radio from any point with Beolink in the house. You only have to remember which six cd's you put in. There is yet no substitute for that very simple and easy Beolink concept. The BeoSound 9000 allows you to play digital music from CD without any compression or other software techniques that hard disks storage systems use and that often effect the sound quality. The conversion/compression software changes al the time and then the whole CD collection often has to be conversed again. 

The BeoSound 5 gets so many mixed reviews on this site that it has held me from buying one so far. I don't like the fact that a main music device has to be connected to a home network and depends on the stability of Microsoft software. The stand alone BeoSound 9000 never crashes, the red display doesn't show any blue screen to indicate that it is all confused or has just completely lost it. The one thing every five to six years is a new cd drive. A consequence of the open design and fast moving sled that wears down the cd mechanism.

Also the visual effect and movement of the BeoSound 9000 is still appealing. The BeoSound 5 is more a box such as the BeoSound 4 is. It doesn't do anything that is fun to look at. The visual ‘’thrill’’ is also one of the core values that B&O treasured for a long time. The opening of the lids on a Beosystem 4500, the fast opening of the beautiful CD tray of a Beogram CD 7000, the opening of the doors on the Ouverture system and its spinoffs, the wings of the BeoCenter 2. It’s technical classical ballet for men. Many of the new designs seem to miss new visions on that. Most importantly, that type of ‘’thrill’’ sells very well. It makes B&O stand out in a competitive market.

B&O would be wise to keep the BeoSound 9000 on the market until they have developed a truly good and visually surprising storage device that offers easy link access throughout the house for people who want such a hard disk based system. Also a device that does not rely entirely on shaky software from a third party. Storage of 100's of cd's and finding your way around them in link rooms, asks for a new generation of two way link room communication in the sprit of the old Beolink 7000 two way concept, with new types of Beolink products with touch screen, also in the ‘’modest’’ Beolab 2000 price range. Beolink needs more ‘’affordable’’ entry solutions. This Beolink unit should be introduced at the same time as well. Buyers of the new main unit can install a truly integrated link system immediately if they want to spend that amount of money. This would also boost initial sales. Current BeoSound 5 owners don’t have a very satisfying solution in the Beolink system. The early buyers have been waiting since 2008. That is very long for a brand that was founded on and grew beause of customer loyalty.

The last two years the world has to gone through the worst financial crisis in decades. And the situation is still very uncertain. One thing that has come from this crisis is that consumers in B&O’s core markets, spend less in general. There are still many people who are willing to pay premium prices for innovation, design and quality. But these people make more conscious decisions nowadays. More and more high end consumers ad durability and excellent service to this list. Durability is the new standard from a ecological point of view, but also economically a justification for the high purchase price of a Bang & Olufsen product that should last a long time. The many quality problems of the last few years seem to indicate that B&O needs to bring that back up to it’s former core value.

Important new entry level products such as BeoSound6 en Serenata where third party products that didn’t capture many new customers because they missed the B&O spirit. It hasn’t brought additional customer loyalty to the brand. And when first time buyers of smaller products would consider to buy a Bang & Olufsen system, there was no real entry system available in audio and video Only recently with Beovision 8, the first attempt to bring LCD television prices down was undertaken. There is still no entry range of televisions that fully replaces the ‘’MX’’ segment of the former product portfolio. Entry level audio products such as BeoSound3 are wonderful for many loyal B&O customers, but just too limited in options for many potential buyers. The new production facility abroad could have been the location for the production of a new entry level range of sound and vision systems. Starting it up with relatively easier to produce systems to avoid quality problems, could have been a way to improve overall customer loyalty and satisfaction. On this great forum people discuss their systems from two or three decades ago that still work perfectly. If they do brake down, they can often be repaired on a parts level. Now replacement modules are the standard. Easy to replace, less expertise required for the dealer's technicians, but much more expensive for the B&O owners.

Important and long awaited (Beolink) innovations as DVD2 proved that third party products can also, partially or fully, drive loyal customers away from the brand. Traditional package sales of television and video devices was a pillar for the company. But the limited product line and disappointing systems in video player and/or recording devices, stopped people buying secondary B&O units to add to their newly acquired or existing television set. The fact that flagship models such as Beovision 9 and Beovision 4-65 could not be paired with a B&O option for Blu-Ray playback was a missed opportunity.  

I know that there are so many excellent B&O dealers in the world. But the majority of the excellent dealers are from the old school. They have been around the block with B&O and grew with the brand over sometimes 2 or 3 generations, including their often very loyal employees. In the spur to conquer the world in the last decade, B&O expanded it’s dealer network rapidly. This resulted in very good dealers, but also many dealers that have damaged B&O’s reputation. Many of them worked very hard but didn’t get enough support from the B&O company to get grip on the beautiful but complex world that is Bang & Olufsen. Also new dealerships often affected the sales of long established B&O dealers in the same city or region.

Many of them stopped their dealerships because new dealers invested a lot in prestige shops at expensive locations and gave discount up to 10% or 15%. The price factor was the only way to quickly build up a new group of customers and these dealers often grew fast. But the close down of established dealerships caused a brain drain of regional B&O expertise. Often the new dealers grew so fast that the couldn’t even train their staff the way they deserved to be trained. This resulted in customers that were disappointed with B&O and equally important, unhappy employees. Very talented young technicians that often left after one or two years, because they lost the pride in working for Bang & Olufsen. Making it even more difficult to render the service that B&O as a brand sells and needs to explain the premium prices.

Most of the customers that put discounts and prestige on the first place have left the building. Who are left now? The group of still loyal customers that is willing to pay for design, quality, durability and service. And a sea of people that could be lured into buying quality products from that little gem company in Streuer. Just like many of us here on Beoworld were captured by it at some point in our lives, either by a new product purchase, a second life product from a dealer, a mint item from LifeStyle AV or a steal on Ebay. For me, it was a Beolit radio at the age of seven in a friends house. Now, 34 years later it still hasn’t left my mind.     

• 08-10-2010 8:04 PM In reply to

Well put Beolab1.....

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 08-10-2010 8:07 PM In reply to

Bv7Mk3:

Well put Beolab1.....

Ditto... Yes -  thumbs up

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-10-2010 8:11 PM In reply to

Is there anyone who has a BS9000, who doesn't have a story about someone that has never seen one and doesn't think that it is the coolest CD player or stereo anything that they have ever seen? 

• 08-10-2010 8:27 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Beolab1:
    What a sad day when the CD and BeoSound 9000 are declared dead. Many people still have cabinets full of CD's and don't want to bother with putting everything on a computer or hard disk. It's always such a hassle and you have to keep on adding when you purchase new ones. Also, most of my old cd's still play perfectly and sound the same as they did 25 years ago. I haven't seen that durability in a hard disk or any other storage medium.

You don't have to have that sort of durability on a harddisk. You back your stuff up once in a while, and that's that: Bit perfect copies of what you were backing up.

Besides, this way, the cd's you ripped are the physical back-ups, so if stored in reasonable temperatures, they will continue to be avery physical back-up of what's on your harddisks.

There's no problem adding to a harddisk either. You can even automate it, so whenever an audio disk is inserted it will rip it and you

Beolab1:
    The BeoSound 9000 allows you to play digital music from CD without any compression or other software techniques that hard disks storage systems use and that often effect the sound quality. 

Harddisks in itself doesn't use any "compression schemes" that affects the audio.

It only uses compression (i.e. "thinning" as in "lossy formats") if you tell it to do so. You can rip in wav, aif, Flac, Apple Lossless, WMA lossless, and it will be bit perfect copies of what is on your CDs.

[Edit: And all things considered, since the computer whenripping can take as much time as it want to reread a bad sector, the resulting digital file will many times be better than playing the cd directly. Not because the file is different, because it isn't, but because a cd-player has only so much time before it has to move on.]

I don't get what you're saying about "other software techniques", unless you mean equaliser or what have you. There are no need to use that, though.

Professional people have been using digital for storage for decades. A cd is just a physical medium on which to store the digital file.[Edit: Optical media is a dying. I just hope that more places will begin to carry and sell lossless and drm-free files, I'm never buying drm'd files, nor lossy ones.]

Beolab1:
    he BeoSound 5 gets so many mixed reviews on this site that it has held me from buying one so far. I don't like the fact that a main music device has to be connected to a home network and depends on the stability of Microsoft software. The stand alone BeoSound 9000 never crashes, the red display doesn't show any blue screen to indicate that it is all confused or has just completely lost it. The one thing every five to six years is a new cd drive. A consequence of the open design and fast moving sled that wears down the cd mechanism.

I'm with you on that. I'm one of those people who really think that the BS5 aren't up to scratch. So many things needs to be done before it comes above my threshold to buy, ttb.

WIth that said, It's hardly fair to use the BS5 as the example as to why there are no reason to rip your files and become hdd-based.It's simply not the best around (digital features-wise as well as when it comes to the hardware and interconnectivity etc.)

But, anyway, many of the other things, although I don't necessarily agree or disagree with all of them, are more a matter of personal taste, so I won't argue there (I mean, if you like the fast sled and having to swap them every so often, or you like having your cd-covers to look at and touch, that's perfectly all right in my book). I only posted to correct to some misconceptions at the beginning of your post.

• 08-10-2010 10:36 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

burantek:

Flappo:

I think the answer to this question is, B&O simply do not do things like this, they start from scratch, it's one of the reasons why the products cost so much, and last for such a long time

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-10-2010 10:40 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

cooldude:

Wouldn't be surprised if they did stop production of the BSS9000.
    I love the white edition myself and is still one of the most beautiful pieces of design ever conceived. 

However.....it also stresses the need for new ideas in (beosound or beocenter) units.
    I love the flagship designs as the BS9000 or the beosound3200/ouverture but what is left if they are no longer produced ? 

The beocenter2, though well designed,  is now even more dated as he BS9000 as the dvd player is dead.

The beosound 4 , though functional and compact is lacking very much the refined B&O touch... What where they thinking making a black brick like that ? It's my least favourite design for sure.

The beosound 5 ..... in a combo with the beomaster5 ...a 2 box solution ?  Talking about overpriced and limited.
    I love the interface, but it's more than time to take this concept and produce a new and fully functional (all covering) line of products around it.
    With wifi connected (easily programmable) 2-way remotes with full video capabilities, all new concept audio and videomasters and link room units.

WELL SAID, I THINK YOU'RE SPOT ON there!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-11-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

If the BS5 gets a CD player built in I will be very happy.

One of the main things that annoys me about the current model is that I have to connect it to a computer. I would prefer to directly load onto it. Also the capacity should be nothing less that 2 tb and easily upgradeable at a later stage

And it needs to integrate seemlessly with Beolink.

The BS9000 in our house is still used every day.

Peter

Page 1 of 3 (67 items) 1 2 3 Next >