in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2010 6:08 PM by TerryM. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2010 8:30 AM

• Felle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Choice of Blu-Ray

Hi!

I'm looking for a blu-ray player to go with my new Beovision 10. I want something really good that can decode internally and output PCM(for HD-sound). What players are out there? I have looked around a bit but I feel confused. One mayor issue I noticed when playing blu-rays with the PS3 were the really slow start-up times. Are blu-ray players usually this slow?

An other important thing is the integration with the BV10. How does it really work, and what brand works best with B&O? Controlling my blu-ray with a Beo4 is really important and I want it to work as smooth as possible. 

What players do you use? What do you recommend?

Thanks

Felix

• 07-31-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

Re: Choice of Blu-Ray

hi.

I use ps3, it is in fact one of the fastest players to start playing
    . blu-ray players are much slower to start up than dvd players. I control my ps3 with an ir-bluetooth converter.

http://www.re-bl.com/

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 07-31-2010 10:32 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I`m using the LG BD 390 player. Can be controlled via PUC, decodes HD audio, can distribute digital and analog video and audio simultaneously for linkrooms, plays HD movies from USB disc/stick or via network, very fast starting up, so the electronic curtain makes sense...YouTube function...looks great, especially via the projector on the screen...

Stefan

• 07-31-2010 11:37 PM In reply to

Odd88:
     I use ps3

have you got it operating region free for the support of DVDs ?

Odd88:
    control my ps3 with an ir-bluetooth converter

what drives the RE-BL?

Do you use a Harmony, or does you BV relay the Beo4 to a PUC/ir-blaster ?

What did you configure your BV IR output as to get full control of the PS3 ?

[my BV8 has an option for its IR to emulate a PS3, but is that what you did?]

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-01-2010 2:50 AM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

elephant:

what drives the RE-BL?

Do you use a Harmony, or does you BV relay the Beo4 to a PUC/ir-blaster ?

What did you configure your BV IR output as to get full control of the PS3 ?

[my BV8 has an option for its IR to emulate a PS3, but is that what you did?]

I do not know if it is region free.

I have my bv8-40 controlling the re-bl via ir-blaster, it works perfectlyBig Smile

it is called Sony PS3 RE-BL in my puc list

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 08-01-2010 6:07 AM In reply to

Dune BD Prime 3.0

BR-player and network mediaplayer in one..

• 08-01-2010 8:08 AM In reply to

• fl4f
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2010
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Go for the Oppo 83 BR player, its probably the best player out there right now. Can be controlled from B&Os PUC.

You can transcode to it throgh network, connect your USB drives to it and much more.

Furthermore if youre watching DVD movies, you simply can't ignore this player. It uses a DVD upscaling chip, used in products 3 or 4 times the price of this player.

Filed under: ,
  • 08-01-2010 9:18 AM In reply to

I can vouch for the quality of the Oppo BDP-83.

However,as it is imported from the USA,the 'standard' machine is Region A for Blue-Ray,and Region 1 for DVD,playback.

There is an All Regions hardware modification available.

The Standard machine costs £511 including VAT,and Delivery Charge.

The All Regions machine costs £591 including VAT,and delivery.

There is also the cheaper BDP-80 which costs £337.

Have a loook at the CRT Projectors,who are highly recommended,website.

• 08-01-2010 4:14 PM In reply to

• Felle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all your advice!

The LG BD390 seems like a good and very affordable player. Build quality doesn't seem great though but as long as it's hidden somewhere, it's fine. 

Question is how much I would gain from getting something like Oppo BDP-83? I do have a very good system. BV10, BL5s and BL9s in the back so image and audio quality is important. Also that it's reliable, fast and works well with controlling it through B&O. After reading reviews it seems that the LG player does all that.

So what would I actually gain from getting an OPPO instead of something like the LG? 

Fl4f: You mentioned that it does excellent upscaling with DVDs. But doesn't the BV10 do a really good job with that too?

Stefan: How well do think the LG player works with B&O PUC?

Thanks

Felix

• 08-01-2010 5:34 PM In reply to

• Felle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

I have also looked at Sony BDP-S570. Anyone have experience with that player? It looks a lot nicer than the LG and I've seen some good reviews of it. 

• 08-01-2010 5:58 PM In reply to

• fl4f
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2010
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Well the LG BD390 IMO is not comparable to the Oppo 83 at all. If youre looking to compare LG BR with a Oppo product it must be their Oppo 80 model.

Here in Denmark atleast, the LG BD390 priced around 1800 DKR and the Oppo 80 is about 3000 DKR region free. The Oppo 83 is 5-6000 DKR region free.

What makes the Oppo 83 and the 83SE for that matter, so great; is what inside tech you get for that price. And yeah the build quality is in another league too. Not B&O style, but its good.

By dvd upscaling, I mean that the signal the BR player sends to the tv is good. Not how the tv handles lets say a standard dvd signal or something like that. There are various dedicated chips for upscaling DVD's to HD resulotions, and the one used in Oppo 83 is amazing. Atleast, that its available in product in that price range. In other words, the better the upscaling the better the picture you will get.

I don't know if the LG BD390 is in B&O puc table, but Oppo is. Otherwise if youre going for the LG, and its not in the PUC table. I'm sure your dealer can generate a table for it - then the handling of the LG from B&O is as good as if it was an Oppo, or something else in PUC table for that matter.

Best regards

• 08-02-2010 4:01 AM In reply to

• Felle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

I won't be going for the LG, now I'm looking at the Sony BDP-S570. I just didn't like the LG, ugly interface and bad build quality.

Oppo seems great but I can't seem to motivate the price difference and it lacks a few features that both the LG and Sony has. Sure, it has a great DVD-upscaler but the Sony seems pretty good at that too. And can't I make the BR player output SD when playing DVDs, leaving the BV10 to upscale??

Anyway.. Will try out the sony and see how it feels.

• 08-02-2010 6:08 PM In reply to

Felle:

I won't be going for the LG, now I'm looking at the Sony BDP-S570. I just didn't like the LG, ugly interface and bad build quality.

Oppo seems great but I can't seem to motivate the price difference and it lacks a few features that both the LG and Sony has. Sure, it has a great DVD-upscaler but the Sony seems pretty good at that too. And can't I make the BR player output SD when playing DVDs, leaving the BV10 to upscale??

Anyway.. Will try out the sony and see how it feels.

From memory,the upscaling chip used by Oppo in their BDP-83,is the same one used by DVDO in their Edge,and Duo,AV Processors.

Also,the BDP-83 has excellent sound quality.

The PQ from my BDP-83 is equal to that from my Sony BDP-S5000ES which is still Sony's flagship player.

One would need to connect the Oppo to the BV10 in order to compare the upscaling ability of one with the other.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)