in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2010 3:08 PM by Bundy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2010 4:18 PM

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Sound settings on a beomaster 8000

Hi

To you who have the beomaster 8000 and beovox MS150. How is your sound setting. Is it all in neutral "no filter" or do you add loudness ect? My MS 150 is standing in the corner, and I have some troubble finding the right bass level. With "no filters" it sound flat at low levels, volume at 18, but with filters on and loundness on it sometimes is to much bass. Any thoughts?

Brgds Mogens

• 07-27-2010 4:48 PM In reply to

Re: Sound settings on a beomaster 8000

I do have 2 Beomaster 8000 rosewood and white edition.

I do not have MS150 but M150 speakers.

I really never use the filter option as its not needed. Volume is 2.2 to 2.5. Any louder might get complains.

When using loudness it goes away when the volume is turned up. At low level it does sound like to much bass but it depends on where youre speaker are located and where you listen from. The sound is more full to compensate what the higher volume settings sound like.

You can put the filter button on with loudness on and bass at -1. It will depend on the music though. On a Beomaster 6000 it works well.

• 07-27-2010 6:16 PM In reply to

With BV Pentas I always use filters, loudness and bass (2) and treble (4) controls. 

Sometimes, I also use the Cona connected to Speaker 2 to give more bass :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-27-2010 8:23 PM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Haha, I don't think my 8000 system starts to get loud until the volume is about 4.0. Even at that level, you can still tell that the loudness function has an effect - when you switch it in and out, you can hear a small difference. I think the BM8000 tapers off the effect as the volumes increase. The loudness function does boost the bass quite a bit when the volume is very low (0-2.0ish). Too much I think. But I like bass, so I can live with it just fine.

The BM8000 does have a large amount of reserve power, so the loudness function doesn't seem to rob too much from it at high volumes (5.0ish). 

In my opinion, with the MS150's backed up in the corner, I'd prefer the loudness function off, and the bass control at +1.5. The MS150's are about -6dB anechoically at 40Hz, and this is the frequency of bass boost or cut on the BM8000. In the corner standing position, you'll get the maximum about of bass reinforcement, but also with the maximum amount of undulation in the frequency response.

I find, to my ear, the MS150's sound the best out from the corners a bit, with a smaller amount of proximity effect reinforcing the bass, and then with the BM8000's loudness switched in. I then leave the Bass and Treble both flat. Then I sit as far away as I can, about 17 feet or so in my room, with my chair up against the middle of the opposite wall. Sitting here reinforces some of the upper bass punchiness that you loose listening out in the middle of the room, while the lower bass is what it is, since the wavelengths are so long. Most of my listening takes place at volume level 3.0 - 4.0.

Of course, it all depends on your room too, haha!Laughing How big is it, what shape is it, where do you sit?

Like I said, the BM8000's loudness function boosts the bass too much at low volume levels.

Sorry if this is more rambling than help.

Jon

• 07-29-2010 2:03 PM In reply to

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Hi again

Thanks for the replies. I think my problems comes from the physical setup at my livingroom. There was 4m between the speakers and only 3,5 m from the speakers to the listening possition. Also the corner placement makes problems. I tryed to move the speakers arround so one of the speakers was away from the corner and that also gave  3 meters between the speakers and 4 m to listering possition. It help a bit, but I still have a kind of bass ressonans.

I then got a pair of M150 I had ekstra. That was much better. It is now easyer to control the bass volume. I think the MS150 is wery demanding regarding to possioning.

Brgds Mogens

• 07-29-2010 2:45 PM In reply to

I can't say anything about MS150 as I'm still waiting for a pair in white edition.

You can take a look of the manuals for MS150 and M150 that I personally scanned some time ago:

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/Friedmett/?action=view&current=scan0019.jpg

They do say something about placement that might be helpful.

• 08-02-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Hi

Thanks for the link but I have the org. manuals already.  But I have decided to keep my M150 and store the MS 150 for later use. I must confess that in my setup the M150 sounds better, softer and not so hard at high volume. It is difficult to control the bass at low volume. I think they are not good for corner placement.

Maybe bigger is not always better :-)

Mogens

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)