in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-28-2010 1:41 PM by vikinger. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2010 2:53 PM

Using Google Translate on the Forum

Is anyone else using Google Translate for reading other language forums on Beoworld?

I've got it set into my browser bar to auto detect and translate into English. Quite often though, it seems to get fooled by the mixture of English and other languages on Beoworld forum pages, and returns a 'Bad URL' message. The way around that is to simply highlight the post you are interested in before you hit the translate button, when Google Translate will then readily translate it (and will allow you to add punctation and spaces (that we all forget in our posting shorthand)....... until the translation makes sense.)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-27-2010 3:14 PM In reply to

• Odd88
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2010
    • Norway
    • Posts 86
    • Gold Member

Re: Using Google Translate on the Forum

I use it the opposite way when I write.

So blame google for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

Blame google translate for my bad EnglishStick out tongue

My Bang & Olufsen.

• Beovision 8-40
    • Beosound 9000
    • Beolab: 5/3/2/8000
    • Beo 5 / Beo 4 / Beotime
    • Form 2 / A8 Earphones
  • 07-27-2010 5:56 PM In reply to

vikinger:
    The way around that is to simply highlight the post you are interested in before you hit the translate button, when Google Translate will then readily translate it (and will allow you to add punctation and spaces (that we all forget in our posting shorthand)....... until the translation makes sense.)

sounds good 

I had been using copy & paste into a separate browser window

how do I install it the way you have it set up ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-27-2010 6:57 PM In reply to

elephant:

vikinger:
    The way around that is to simply highlight the post you are interested in before you hit the translate button, when Google Translate will then readily translate it (and will allow you to add punctation and spaces (that we all forget in our posting shorthand)....... until the translation makes sense.)

sounds good 

I had been using copy & paste into a separate browser window

how do I install it the way you have it set up ?

Hi Elephant. I dragged the Google Translate English to my browser bar from the Google Translate page.

Then, after opening any (non english) window, hitting the browser button gives you an instant translation. If, however, there is a mixture of languages on the page that defeat the 'auto detect language' feature, just highlighting any section of the text before you hit the translate button is enough to give you a separate Google  page with the selected original text and translation. If it still fails to detect the language, you can choose the original language in the drop-down menu. Hope this makes sense. I only discovered the highlighting text feature when I was about to copy and paste into a separate page (probably as you have been doing.)

Graham

• 07-27-2010 7:39 PM In reply to

Remove the # sign all of that is after.

• 07-28-2010 4:43 AM In reply to

Thanks Philippe and Graham, clearly I am doing something "wrong" ... I dragged this address (http://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en#) to my Safari bookmark bar and I even removed the "#" although google/safari reinsert it when I hit the link

The link simply takes me to the standard google translation page ... even if I have highlighted some text

I assume that there is some other google translation function that is more akin to something that runs a translation script over the page you are in rather than executing a link with content from the current url/page 

So my question is ... where do I find that magic goggle button/script ... please

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-28-2010 5:02 AM In reply to

elephant:

Thanks Philippe and Graham, clearly I am doing something "wrong" ... I dragged this address (http://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en#) to my Safari bookmark bar and I even removed the "#" although google/safari reinsert it when I hit the link

That is unrelated - the problem Graham and Philippe were talking about is if the forum URL includes a direct anchor to a certain post, like

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34653/286752.aspx#286752

...instead of just

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34653/286752.aspx

...which takes you to the top of the topic. Google Translate doesn't like the former for some odd reason (lazy programmers I suppose).

I've never tried the toolbar gadget, but I do sometimes use GT (as well as G&T Stick out tongue ) to confirm what I think I'm reading... I can sort of read the "foreign" subforums directly apart from Spanish and French.

-mika

• 07-28-2010 5:08 AM In reply to

tournedos:
    I can sort of read the "foreign" subforums directly

I can "read" them too

I just don't understand them 

Or as a great song puts it ...

Simon and Garfunkel:

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Laughing

• 07-28-2010 8:00 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

I use Google Chrome browser for reading forums and ebay. It offers to translate a page which is written on language strange to me, as it thinks. Sometimes a bit annoying, but mostly rather handy. I did not install anyt hing to browser, at least do not remember doing so.

Pekka

• 07-28-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

Pretty certain I dragged a link from the list at the bottom of the tools and resources page here on Google Translate.

Pekka may have a better approach using Google Chrome: I've always avoided Chrome simply because I like Firefox (on Apple Mac and PC) and don't want to use another browser. Maybe I am penalising myself, but Google, whilst being exceptional in every respect, seems to be taking over the internet!

Graham

• 07-28-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

Thanks Pekka and Graham

The drag & drop of the button does not work for Safari (which is where I do 90% of my browsing on account of all my bookmarks and links)

And I have always been reluctant to use suppliers' Firefox toolbars after being irritated a couple of years ago by people like BT and Yahoo taking over my internet experience

And I agree about Google getting a bit too big for its britches, and so while I have Chrome installed I tend not to use it

• 07-28-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

BINGO!

By one of those lovely serendipity coincidences Apple released their Safari extensions store tonight, which promotes HTML5 extensions to Safari 5.0+ and so I know have a button on my Safari address line that opens a tab and automatically translates the page :)

Macrumors article: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/28/apple-updates-safari-5-to-officially-activate-extensions/

Apple Safari extension gallery: http://extensions.apple.com/

The extension that I chose: http://sidetree.com/extensions.html <= it is called "Translate" and currently is at the bottom of their page

Now all I need, is for Philippe to turn his inventive genius to this, and give me a LinkPlayer Remote pop-up to control my MacMini Laughing

And while I am on about being techbo-happy, I just love this morning's Max OS X that added inertial scrolling to my touchpad ... now I open a BeoWorld forum entry and give the touchpad a flick and skim the page as it flows past ! or similarly skim blogs like Macrumors for new posts that might interest me

• 07-28-2010 1:41 PM In reply to

Up early this morning Elephant!

I'll follow-up your Safari update for my study/office iMac (much preferred, but I often use a Toshiba laptop when elsewhere in the house.)

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)