in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-31-2010 2:56 AM by clifft. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-24-2010 5:32 PM

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

My new BV-7, the saga so far.

At present, I am not a happy BeoWorlder.  The Minister for War and Finance had decreed that our main lounge room needed a complete makeover, new carpet, curtains and lighting plus a paint job.  After 20 years, several pets and a son, I reckoned we had got off pretty lightly so any protest was futile!  As this room contained my Avant, Ouverture and surround system, this had to be removed first so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest series BV-7 and also upgraded my Pay TV box to a new HD receiver and recorder from the Pay TV company.  Last Thursday, the room was ready and the installer boys turned up at 10am ready to put everything back and set up the BV7 and set top box.  Perhaps a bad omen but the tv due at 9.30 wasn't there!!  The delivery company had forgotten it!!!  It duly arrived after some frantic phone calls at 2pm.  The boys got to work and were there until 9pm when they left exhausted after trying to work through a whole load of problems with the installation.  The job is not complete so their boss is coming around next thursday, I hope to sort it all out.  The set top box only has an HDMI and Composite outputs.  I have a BV-3 in my link room and apparantly there is no analog feed to it to from the box so they had to use Composite (I haven't a clue about this, not my field!).  The picture on the BV-3 on Pay tv is bad with wavy lines appearing every few seconds plus I have to manually keep resetting it to Format 3. It gets a good picture on free to air analog tv.  In the main room, every time the BV-7 is turned on, the Ouverture lights up!  All the settings on both Beo4 remotes are weird eg press Link V Aux for Pay tv and Sat for free to air digital plus it is difficult to change channels on the free to air digital as the tv won't accept the signal from the Beo4 remote yet does for pay tv channels!  The picture on the BV-7 is generally superb but I noticed on watching a UKTV programme that on facial close-ups, the faces sometimes seemed smeary as they moved with a slight distortion of the picture.  I am hoping it is the programme not the set!!  So, having shelled out a small fortune, I don't yet have a satisfactory set-up.  A lot is riding on the Boss man fixing things next thursday and I am sure that much can be fixed by resetting controls etc but I am not getting a good feeling about the communication between the BV-7 and the BV-3.  Any ideas anyone? The boys also fitted a Mac Mini to the back of the set and linked it to my iMac.  That is working but has some issues that Ed is sorting out with Phillipe but I will write about that in the Mac Mini thread.  I will let you know what happens next thursday!!  Clifft

• 07-24-2010 6:51 PM In reply to

Re: My new BV-7, the saga so far.

i really hope that you get that issue fixed and is able to enjoy what i think the bv7 produces, a briliant image let us know what happens.

• 07-25-2010 2:47 AM In reply to

The lounge and the new BV7 with its Beolabs looked great ... and I am sure the issues will be addressed over the next few weeks !

Ed

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-25-2010 6:43 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

clifft:

...but I noticed on watching a UKTV programme that on facial close-ups, the faces sometimes seemed smeary as they moved

UKTV is one of the worst examples of a quality broadcast! Your TV can't improve a poor broadcast. The bandwidth allocated to these channels is fairly low, so you get some distortion and so on.

• 07-25-2010 9:21 PM In reply to

Cliff,

Good to meet you on Friday..

I'm sorry we didn't get a chance for an in depth chat Sad

I did hear you mention about your new acquisition, I'm sorry it hasn't yet achieved complete satisfaction for you.

I'm sure it will work out in the end though.. Who is doing the install for you? Is it Paul & Gavin?

Jonathan

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 07-26-2010 4:12 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

No, it's Graham Donalds guys who did it.  To be fair, they worked hard all day and they were getting pretty tired by 9 pm. They made a very neat job of everything including putting an ethernet cable and aerial from one end of the house to the other partly outside and partly under the house.  Graham Donald himself is coming out this Thursday and I hope will be able to fine tune everything.  He put the original set-up in and knows B & O backwards.  Fingers crossed!!!  Cliff

• 07-26-2010 5:00 PM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Thanks for your comments, Moxxey, regarding UKTV.  Very reassuring!  Last night I watched a different channel, Taggert on 13th Street and the picture was superb.  Great relief!!  Cliff

• 07-31-2010 1:41 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Well a second visit from the installers has made a big difference!  The reason the Ouverture kept turning on with the tv was because they were both set up as masters and trying to work with the signal from the Beo4.  A simple fix was to turn off the ir receiver of the Ouverture and let it get its instructions from the tv.  This also means that the tv accepts the Beo4 commands more easily than before ie when you punch in numbers, they are read correctly.  Unfortunately my Beo4 remotes are a little old and have TV, Sat and V TAPE as the left hand vertical row.  It was explained to me that the software of the BV-7 is such that a logical arrangement of commands won't work.  The only set-up I can have is for the free-to-air digital tv from the aerial to switch on when SAT is pressed and for my Pay tv which comes from a satellite dish to switch on when TV is pressed!!  I wonder which genius in Denmark worked that one out!!  It was suggested there may be a software upgrade in future to make this more logical but I cannot imagine I am the only one affected.  With the link room, he fiddled around with something under the house and now the picture quality on Pay tv is really very good.  To operate the BV-3 in the link room, you press TV for free to air analogue, Sat for free to air digital and Link then TV for Pay tv.  Despite borrowing some software, they were not able to make the DVD player in the BV-7 multizone. Maybe this has something to do with the latest software in it but they are checking this and hopefully will return to fix it.  I understand that BlueRay discs are more locked down and cannot be multi-zoned.  So, all in all, I am much happier and now have two sets that perform well with great picture quality.  There is some tweaking to do with LinkPlayer on the Mac Mini but the Mini really works well, giving me access to the internet on the tv and the ability to watch downloaded programmes. The Mac Mini has to be installed the very first time in a definite sequence with the tv as set out in the FAQ's on the Apple website to be recognised.  If anyone has a diagram for using the Beo4 remote to work the MyStar set top box in record, playback and timeshift modes I would be grateful for it.  At present I am using their remote for that!  Clifft

• 07-31-2010 1:57 AM In reply to

clifft:
    The Mac Mini has to be installed the very first time in a definite sequence with the tv as set out in the FAQ's on the Apple website to be recognised.

Glad to here it's all getting better !

Perhaps you can identify the FAQ link for future reference ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-31-2010 2:56 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Go to the Apple site, then Support, then Mac Mini then FAQ about HDMI.

My Mac mini does not recognize my HDTV.

Leave your Mac mini turned on while you power off the HDTV.  Unplug the HDMI cable from the Mac mini and plug it in again.  Power on the HDTV.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)