in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-26-2010 10:17 AM by cooldude. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2010 11:19 PM

CX100 - A Project

Hey All, I've been coming to the site for a year now, since the B&O bug bit. One of the first additions to my collection was a pair of CX100 speakers. They were in good condition but I did refoam them. They are the white version...here is my idea. I love the speakers, but they aren't that pretty. I was thinking of "updating" them a bit, bring them new life. I want to have the entire cabinets painted professionally with high gloss black car paint. I'm going to have a custom graphic transfer of the B&O logo (slightly larger than the origional logo) in silver and apply it on the lower strut. I'll recover the grills in a black cloth (anyone have any ideas on this??).

Another idea I had is to install an LED behind the bottom grills so that when my BC9000 was on, the LED would glow green and when it was off the KED could glow red. I'm looking for input on how to accomplish this. would the line in leads from my BC have enough current to run a small LED? Andy clever way to accomplish this? I like the hi-tech look that LED's seem to give to the current line of B&O Beolab.

I'm also interested in any additional suggestions you might have to update these speakers. I figure until I can afford my dream speaker (the BL4000) I would just work with what I have. Does anyone have opinions of the CX100's? I kinda like the sound but am I missing something?  Finally want to add them to a set of chrome stands with the stands at 24" and then having the speaker tilted up just slightly.

Is this a stupid idea?

• 07-24-2010 12:58 AM In reply to

Re: CX100 - A Project

Mdyarnell:

Finally want to add them to a set of chrome stands with the stands at 24" and then having the speaker tilted up just slightly.

Is this a stupid idea?

Well, I'm not sure I would call it a stupid idea, but the CX100s were not designed for use in free space on stands.  My CX100s (used with a BC9500) sound best when backed up against/attached to a wall. 

I share your desire for the BL4000s to use with the BeoCenter though!

Cleve  

• 07-24-2010 6:21 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

I think they're great speakers and I think your mods will look very good. Would echo comments about using stands.  Seriously consider getting a Cona sub. They make a good speaker great!

Cheers

Nigel 

• 07-25-2010 12:49 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Agree with Nigel, get a Cona sub. It will make a world of difference to the sound.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-25-2010 9:25 PM In reply to

A year ago I managed to scare up two pairs of black CX100 both had scratches and chips in the original paint and tattered black "frets". Below was my solution.

• 07-26-2010 10:17 AM In reply to

Craig:

Agree with Nigel, get a Cona sub. It will make a world of difference to the sound.

CraigSmile

Definately try to find a cona sub. .... opens up the sound and increases the bass.
    Also replace the capacitor in the crossover print inside the speakers.... will clear up the sound.
    As for custom finishing .... I'm all for it. I have some in highly polished alu finish right now.
    Love the idea of stands however, not sure if their size and weight are lending themselves that well for that. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)