in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2010 12:15 PM by Alex. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2010 6:13 PM

• simsim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-22-2010
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Balanced XLR to Powerlink? (Beolab 3)

Hi! I am returning to beoworld after a long time of "abstinence" because I've got a question: Is it possible to have a balanced connection to Beolab 3? I know you have the possibility of "LINE"-Input but this seems to be unbalanced. I am asking this because I want to use them as nearfield monitors in a 2.1 setup. The signalpath will be RME Multiface, balanced outs (soundcard, so to speak) --> ADAM Sub10 (balanced in, balanced out) ---> Lab 3s. And I'd really want them to be on a balanced connection. So... is it possible? Is Powerlink itself a balanced connection? Thanks, Simon for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio EDIT: Does the new forum eat carriage-returns&line-feeds or why are there no paragraphs in my post?
  • 07-23-2010 5:33 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: Balanced XLR to Powerlink? (Beolab 3)

Powerlink inputs of Beolabs are unbalanced line level. But you can connect a balanced signal. Just solder a bridge between 1 - 3 (gnd / sig-) in the XLR plug and make an  XLR - DIN adapter . If you don`t want that, because all the signal chain will become unbalanced, connect a balanced-unbalanced converter (XLR - RCA) between the sub out and the BL3 Powerlink in. In both cases you will need  5V to power up the BL3. More information on Beotech site. Hope this helps.

Stefan

• 07-23-2010 6:01 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Powerlink is not balanced (unlike Masterlink) and has a 1Vrms max. level. I would just use the RCA unbalanced outputs from your sub as line in the the BL3's. Over a short cable run such as near field monitoring it shouldn't make any noticable difference.

I looked on the internet and couldn't find any data on the output signal levels of you sub, be careful when setting up as "pro" gear  normally runs at higher signal levels than consumer equipment, so be sure to have everything turned down at the start.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-23-2010 8:13 AM In reply to

• Teddy_fr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • near Angoulême, France
    • Posts 250
    • Founder

Hello Simsim and welcome back to Beoworld!

Powerlink signal is not balanced, only a line output. (For more details you could have a look at Beotech).
    I use powerlink to XLR cable in the opposite way as you ie from powerlink sokets of a Beocenter 9500 to XLR socket of an amplified B&O Studio monitor, but this is exactly the same thing.
    Here is the diagram of my Xlr to Powerlink cables. Their length is approx 15 meters and the sound is perfect, no hum, no distortion! Yes -  thumbs up

• 07-23-2010 9:21 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Teddy_fr:

Hello Simsim and welcome back to Beoworld!

Powerlink signal is not balanced, only a line output. (For more details you could have a look at Beotech).
    I use powerlink to XLR cable in the opposite way as you ie from powerlink sokets of a Beocenter 9500 to XLR socket of an amplified B&O Studio monitor, but this is exactly the same thing.
    Here is the diagram of my Xlr to Powerlink cables. Their length is approx 15 meters and the sound is perfect, no hum, no distortion! Yes -  thumbs up

I'm not sure about the shorting of pins 1 & 3, it'll be fine when wiring an unbalanced signal into a balanced input, but in this case you are suggesting shorting a -ve output to ground - this may be OK if the output is transformer coupled but that may not be the case and you could feasibly damage your device if you are unaware of it's output circuit configuration!

If you are going to make a modified lead I would suggest using pins 1&2 of the XLR as your two wire connection and not short anything to ground.

See HERE

Even easier, use the subs RCA outputs!Wink

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-24-2010 12:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Run the Multiface on it's -10dB setting (in the FireFace settings app). I would also always add an analogue volume control between the interface and the speakers.

Out of interest, how do you find the Sub10? I've been toying with the idea of adding a sub to go with my Adam A7s, although I've heard very few subwoofers which I'd consider to be 'unobtrusive'. I've not auditioned any Adam subs yet...

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)