in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-25-2010 5:54 PM by vikinger. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2010 4:38 PM

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Transporting my Avant 28 by car

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered in a previous post but I need to transport my Avant 28" from my flat to my house (around 45 minute journey). It does not fit in the car in an upright position so I will need to either lay it flat on its back or front. Any suggestions as to which way is less risky (in case of damaging components, etc.). Needless to say I will be surrounding the unit with lots of blankets, etc. Thanks in advance.

• 07-19-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

Re: Transporting my Avant 28 by car

Hi:

This has been covered before and is a bit of a moot point really. Either way is not ideal and depending upon the age of the TV and how much it would cost to buy a eplacement preowned one you might be better renting a van, strapping it to the side and transporting it that way.

That said, when I first took delivery of my Avant it was transported on its back (screen facing up) from Hull to Cambridge in the back of a car and it was fine.

If you are not going to hire a van I would suggest transporting it with the screen facing up and wrapped in duvets/blankets.

Graham

• 07-19-2010 5:07 PM In reply to

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hi Graham - Your feedback is much appreciated. Think I will take a chance and if it breaks on the way back its a great excuse to upgrade.

Thanks again Smile

• 07-19-2010 5:50 PM In reply to

Much covered in previous posts. I had this dilemma last year when I needed to move a 32 Avant. In the end I decided to get the local B&O dealer to provide the transport. In the event, an initial estimated cost of 'about £100' became an actual cost of £200, and in practice involved two personnel and a small hired van. If you have two man+ capacity to lift the Avant into a van then I would do my own van hire and keep the Avant upright. You can probably get a 'man and a van' for £50: just be sure that the TV is carefully lifted using the handholds and don't get a van with a high threshold.

Having said that, the price/value of all Avants continues to tumble, so it might make more sense to just take a chance. The 28 Avant is probably a bit easier to handle. The  B&O instructions for transporting the BV1/ BC1 involve lying the TV on its back, angled to one side following the case contours. I would guess that the right way to carry any CRT is similar, as recommended above. Face down is not recommended (although many have apparently done it successfully!)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-20-2010 6:53 AM In reply to

I've always moved my Avants face down and never had a problem......

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 07-20-2010 7:39 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

I think the most difficult part of laying the Avant down for transport is to ensure that the motor base incurs no damage. I understand that the barings can become dislodged and it is not easy to re affix them. The result is that the set won't turn on its base.

Good luck.

Opman

• 07-20-2010 11:07 AM In reply to

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all your replies. Some top advice there Cool

• 07-20-2010 7:28 PM In reply to

I once drove 900kms with an avant in the back of a 4X4. It was bought from a B&O installer and he helped me load it. I was placed on its back, with ropes securing it so that it wasn't resting on the motorised base. The ropes were tied through the grab handles of the back seats.

Result: My Avant arrived in perfect shape!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 07-25-2010 5:29 PM In reply to

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Thanks again all. Transported the Avant on its back, angled to one side as suggested by vikinger and arrived in top shape. Very pleased as the last time I needed to transport my Avant 32, I asked B&O Covent Garden to do it which costed me around £200.

• 07-25-2010 5:54 PM In reply to

Good to hear it Lammy. (Thank goodness this wasn't a post about following advice and getting an unwanted outcome!)

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)