in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2010 2:54 AM by niceman. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-11-2010 3:40 AM

Beogram 8500+MMC4

Hi I've got a chance to buy it but unfortunately I have no opinion or review about this turntable. It is also hardly to find in the internet. So if there is anyone who can give me a clue about it I be very grateful. Price is about £200.

• 07-11-2010 5:45 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8500+MMC4

Condition is everything. The 8500 is the identical to BG's 3000, 3300, 9000, 8000,5005, 5500 but with a dust cover changed to match the Beocenter 8500.

BG3000, 5005, 5500 and several of the others will be available at lower cost and are identical under the covers!

I wouldn't buy unless I could collect. My experience with turntables placed in the courier system by inexperienced sellers is not good and you are pretty much guaranteed to receive a kit of spare parts.

Do not rely on the courier insurance as it is unlikely to pay out unless it is obvious that the forklift tines have gone straight through the box or that the lorry has run over it!

The MMC4 is excellent if in good condition. Expensive to replace if received as part of the kit!!

£200 is a good price if it is in MINT condition. Bear in mind that, unless the seller is a trader, the deck will not be covered by a warranty.

Regards Graham

• 07-11-2010 6:22 AM In reply to

Thanks so much it is said that the condition of it is great. therefore it is going to be my first turntable ever and my knowledge about turntables can be count as zero. has it got pre-ampli. or I should buy something to connect it to ordinary amplifier?

• 07-11-2010 6:57 AM In reply to

It does NOT have a pre-amplifier. It also has an output terminated in a DIN plug rather than RCA connectors which most non-B&O amplifiers will have.

If your amp does not have a Phono input with built in RIAA pre-amp then you will need a stand alone pre-amp between the deck and your amplifier.

Be aware that the MMC4 cartridge outputs around half the mV of a conventional moving magnet cartridge which results in the volume control on your amplifier being set significantly higher at normal listening volumes.

This can often result in significant and annoying hum levels and for this reason, I can not recommend the low cost RIAA pre-amps which you may have read about on this site.

Regards Graham

• 07-11-2010 7:05 AM In reply to

I see. Could you recommended the pre-amplifier for me? I have at home nothing special it is  Yamaha HTR-5630 +Eltax Discovery so as you can see rather week but I'm going to replaced it soon.

• 07-11-2010 7:28 AM In reply to

Your amp would seem fine but you will need a RIAA pre-amp. However before getting onto that, why do you want a Beogram? If you have a B&O system, the point of a Beogram is obvious as it matches the system, the input is designed for the low moving iron output and it works by remote control.

In a non B&O system, I cannot see the point of a deck like the 8500. It is relatively lightweight, it takes a unique cartridge fitting which means replacement cartridges are expensive and have to come from the US these days, and the performance will be easily matched by cheaper decks.

If you really want a B&O deck, and plan to get a matching system, go for it. But if you plan to just upgrade to other makes, I would look at the Project decks or even a Rega Planar. You can then get a much greater choice of cartridge at much better prices.

The 8500, and all the later tangential decks were not a highpoint of B&O record deck design. The radial decks like the 1700 and 1800 were in many ways nicer and cost next to nothing. If you want a tangential deck, the 4000 or 8000 series are beautifully made and designed - though not without their own problems!

• 07-11-2010 7:30 AM In reply to

I have a TC750LC from www.phonopreamps.com which is better than the norm but at slightly higher cost.

They also do an inline booster designed for cartridges like the B&O MMC series although I have not evaluated it.

By the time you add up all the costs you may as well buy a deck with a built in RIAA pre-amp and do the job properly.

Regards Graham

• 07-11-2010 8:10 AM In reply to

this pre-amplifier suits my budget pretty well,thanks for that.

Why I've chosen B&O ? well someday I'heard B&O speakers and I loved it that was a time when I first time met B&O and it my be the reason. I also thought about project and rega but finally I want  B&O mostly by design but also performance and I think its uniqueness.I've also considered about B&O for my bedroom but rather one of the old classic style. Does it make any sense to you?

• 07-11-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

The old classic ones make perfect sense - good prices and superb performance. Have a look at an 8002 though - nice design and better sound than an 8500. Probably cheaper too!

• 07-11-2010 1:40 PM In reply to

well Peter from short time I'm an owner of beogram 8500. I only hope that I'm the happy one. what do you think? which amplifier and speakers  would you suggested for me ?

Darek

• 07-11-2010 5:44 PM In reply to

I would get a Beocentre 8500 as it will match! Will be an amplifier, radio and CD player with a good autoreverse tape player thrown in. I prefer the 9500 myself as it has better programming facilities but eiither are great.

• 07-12-2010 11:46 AM In reply to

Thanks for all, good luck

• 07-12-2010 12:18 PM In reply to

Another problem the TC750LC is not allowed in UK or hardly. Can you suggest something different but in similar budget?

• 07-12-2010 12:39 PM In reply to

I'm sorry, I have no other experience.

What is the problem with phonopreamps.com?

Regards Graham

• 07-20-2010 4:24 PM In reply to

OK guys my Beogram 8500 arrived and I'm broken. first it has 7 pin din and I wonder if there is any chance to plug it to RCA input?but it isn't the main one . Namely it was in poor condition. The tonearm was of the runners but I fixed it ,it was easy. the main problem is that one of the cogwheels which is located next to centre still move only 3/4 then stops and making strange noises. Also tonearm doesn't moves acros a vinyl. has any one know where in Scotland it could be checked or even repaired? 

• 07-20-2010 5:15 PM In reply to

Almost exactly as I predicted I'm afraid!

You can get a DIN to RCA adapter cable from SoundsHeavenly who advertise at the bottom of this page.

Your local B&O dealer will be able to get the deck looked at if you don't feel able to do it yourself.

Regards Graham

• 07-24-2010 2:54 AM In reply to

thanks joeyboygolf. I tried to fix it by my self and I was succed noe it works perfect. Service manual was my guide for everything thanks again and the subject might be closed by admin.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)