in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2010 5:55 AM by tournedos. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2010 3:53 PM

Prince: 1999 on CD

Not too B&O related, but since this is probably the most sensible forum I use...

I have the "1999" album by Prince on CD. I bought it ages ago so it is probably one of the earliest pressings (Wikipedia notes that those had the title "D.M.S.R" omitted to make it fit on one disc, just like mine).

I've always wondered why "Little Red Corvette" sounds horribly distorted during the loudest passages. All I can think of that this song has been mastered crudely wrong causing it to clip - anyone noted anything wrong with it either on CD or some other release format?

-mika

• 07-09-2010 5:54 PM In reply to

Re: Prince: 1999 on CD

I presume you read this week that he will have no truck with digital downloads of his music ?

"Internet is outdated"

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-10-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

No I hadn't - interesting article. I always thought the man makes a lot of sense, I've never done a (legal) download of music in my life and probably never will Stick out tongue

If somebody is going to buy that Daily Mirror this weekend strictly for the brilliant journalism, I'll be glad to pay the postage for the CD to Finland so you don't have to worry about disposing of it Big Smile

-mika

• 07-10-2010 4:58 AM In reply to

So you don't mind if the sender keeps page 3 ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-10-2010 5:18 AM In reply to

I'm sure I can download it somewhere Laughing

(I'm serious about that CD, BTW. As well as the original question.)

-mika

• 07-10-2010 6:36 PM In reply to

1999 is on Spotify if you would like to check it there.

Simon

• 07-11-2010 4:32 AM In reply to

Good idea otherwise, but I don't have an account (and last time I looked Spotify, like most download/streaming services, didn't consider Finland a market area so I'd have to go through some hoops to get one) and no computers around that would run it...

-mika

• 07-13-2010 6:55 AM In reply to

From the spotify web site:

"Spotify is currently available in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France, Spain and the Netherlands. We hope to launch in more countries in the future. You can use Spotify Premium in all countries, however you can only buy premium and sign up in our launch countries"

You will need just about any PC or MAC (or iPhone, iPod Touch or Smartphone). You may also  need an invite but if you PM me your email address I can send you one.

Simon

• 07-13-2010 11:18 AM In reply to

Seems the market area has changed then, but it still won't run under Windows 2000, which incidentally is all I have outside work.

Might try the Linux setup though, so an invite is greatly appreciated Smile I'll PM you.

-mika

• 07-13-2010 12:07 PM In reply to

You should have an invite in your email!

I bought a low-powered netbook to use for Spotify and it works fine. I then realised it met all my limited computing at home needs and use it for evertything else as well!

Simon

• 07-13-2010 2:51 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    Might try the Linux setup though

Remarkable timing... THIS came across my RSS this very morning! Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-14-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

I have a number of spare Spotify invites and would be happy to pass one along to any Beoworlder that wants one, just send me your email adress by PM.

Simon

• 07-14-2010 4:42 AM In reply to

burantek:

tournedos:
    Might try the Linux setup though

Remarkable timing... THIS came across my RSS this very morning! Smile

So there's hope for a native solution - although if the regular Win client runs under Wine, I'll be happy with that Smile

@Simon, thanks for the invite. Now waiting for a little spare time and worse weather to set it all up! And the heat wave seems to have cooked my 3G/WLAN access point...

I also have an Acer One netbook I'll try to run it on. This is the cheapest version with no Windows license and a 8GB SSD, so it's running Ubuntu Linux at this point. If it works well, I'll delegate either that or some pocket size PC to run net radio stations (and Spotify?) and adapt my B&O remote control to it.

-mika

• 07-14-2010 5:34 AM In reply to

I also found this:

http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/wine/

Simon

• 07-15-2010 6:31 AM In reply to

I just installed the Windows client under Wine on Ubuntu, and it works without a glitch! Uses about 10% of CPU time of the 1.6G Atom N160.

The volume of the ads is highly annoying though. I'll need to see if I can stand them to actually use this, I don't think I'll get any paid service.

And yes, "Little Red Corvette" seems equally distorted there as well. Perhaps it just is that way on the original studio master.

-mika

• 08-25-2010 8:58 AM In reply to

One note in case there are other perverts that want to run Spotify under Linux...

I upgraded my main home PC to latest Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and installed the Spotify+Wine setup on it as well. Between each song played, the mixer playback volume (not the Spotify volume) kept resetting to 0%, thus no sound until I cranked it up again.

After quick research, this seems to be (another) problem in pulseaudio, the current default Ubuntu audio framework. Can't see why this didn't happen on my netbook, but in any case launching Spotify with the command

padsp wine "c:\Program Files\Spotify\spotify.exe"

...instead of a direct shortcut cures it.

-mika

• 12-03-2010 5:55 AM In reply to

To keep things interesting, the latest Ubuntu upgrade (10.10) killed Spotify - or actually all sound with Wine - again. This time it was solved by changing the Wine audio output device from OSS (recommended by the Spotify on Linux instructions) to ALSA.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)