in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-12-2010 1:46 PM by KingOfSnake. 44 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (45 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2010 9:38 PM

Beolab 3 vs Anthony Gallo's Strada speakers

Has anyone listed to both B&O's Beolab 3 and Anthony Gallo's Strada speakers? The BL3 and the Stradas have both uncommon designs and both companies claim that the design if their speakers makes positioning them in a room less critical than normal.

I have a pair of BL3 and have been happy with them for a few years, but I am curious at to how the Stradas compare with them.  I know that they are differennt, one being active and the other a passive speaker, but how different do they sound?

• 07-08-2010 11:11 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 3 vs Anthony Gallo's Strada speakers

terrible.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-09-2010 7:43 AM In reply to

Hi afcintra,

I recently set up a surround sound system for a customer using Anthony Gallos, the details may interest you:-

Old system: Beolab 1's (front), Beolab 2, Beolab 7.2 (centre), Beolab 3's (rear)

New system: Anthony Gallo Reference 3's (front), Pioneer sub (can't recall the model), plus Anthony Gallo Strada 3's (centre and rears)

The TV was a Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma, which stayed in place throughout the speaker swap, as did the Onkyo 906 A/V receiver.

Although this was a full surround setup with the speakers you queried in use as rears, the overall impression was massively different following the replacement.  Treble response was far crisper and clearer with the Gallos (although these had not yet been run in, so this will soften a little over time) and the Pionner sub (the top of their range) gave more bass weight and subjectively appeared to have a little more depth than the Lab 2 at the same volumes levels.  The Gallo Reference 3's were the main reason for the improvement, as they absolutely blew the Beolab 1's away!  These are absolutely awesome speakers and really crazy to look at (I loved them!)

The Strada 3 used for the centre channel (mono centre, table mounted below the screen) could not match the Beolab 7.2 for power or clarity, so my guess is that the rear channel Stradas would also have been lacking compared to the Lab 3's, had these been listened to side by side with no other speakers used.  However, the difference was not massive.  There is a very different tonal character between the Gallos and the Lab 1's, although less so between the Gallos and the Lab 3's and 7.2.

The bottom line with speakers is that you must hear them in your own home to decide if you like them.  What sounds good in a shop, or looks good on paper, often bears absolutely no resemblence to what you will hear in your living room.  Also, you should be willing to move around the speakers and/or your furniture to get the best sound.  Room acoustics are scarily complex, but if you try moving things around and listening, you will be amazed at the improvements you can make to the sound within a few minutes!

As an aside, my wife and I have a deal: When I buy new speakers, the living room is emptied.  The speakers go in first and I have a day to get the placement right.  Then the furniture goes back.  My good lady then has the right to change any furniture that she wishes and/or redecorate.  The result - we both get the end result that we want, although the total cost means that this is not an exercise we go through too regularly.....

So, to summarise, I can't answer your question directly, but I don't think a direct answer is really possible here!

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 07-09-2010 7:46 AM In reply to

Sorry, I forgot to say:-

1) Welcome to the forum afcintra!

2) Yes, you CAN use Beolab 2 and 7.2 with a generic A/V processor, in case anyone was wondering, you just have to send the correct trigger signals to switch on the speakers when no B&O source is present.

Kind regards, Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 07-09-2010 9:38 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

As always, in these cases, everyones opinion will be different. I've never heard the Strada's next to BL3's for direct comparison but I also haven't heard the Strada's described as "terrible" anywhere else! The few reviews of the Strada that can be googled all seem quite favourable (whilst also acknowledging the sometimes dubious credibility of the hifi press)!

My advice would be, don't take anyone's word for it and compare yourself - after all there's only you that needs to be happy after your choice!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-09-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

Puncher:

As always, in these cases, everyones opinion will be different. I've never heard the Strada's next to BL3's for direct comparison but I also haven't heard the Strada's described as "terrible" anywhere else! The few reviews of the Strada that can be googled all seem quite favourable (whilst also acknowledging the sometimes dubious credibility of the hifi press)!

My advice would be, don't take anyone's word for it and compare yourself - after all there's only you that needs to be happy after your choice!

Let's be honest chaps: they do look $h1t compared to BL3s. A bit like an over-sized motion sensor for a car alarm, or perhaps the dissected eyes from a huge robotic fly.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-09-2010 10:02 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Puncher:

Let's be honest chaps: they do look $h1t compared to BL3s. A bit like an over-sized motion sensor for a car alarm, or perhaps the dissected eyes from a huge robotic fly.

I'd assumed the original poster was aware of both speakers aesthetics and was enquiring about their relative audio performance!

• 07-09-2010 10:39 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    they do look $h1t compared to BL3s... or perhaps the dissected eyes from a huge robotic fly.

I assume the eyes were removed from the robotic fly's head: a BL3... Stick out tongue

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-09-2010 10:46 AM In reply to

afcintra: Welcome to BeoWorld!

As others have mentioned... have a listen at home if you can. Anthony Gallo is worth your attention!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-09-2010 10:54 AM In reply to

It is interesting to see how people complain about how the hi-fi crowd treats B&O and do exactly the same when asked about some other equipment.

I am super happy with my BL3s (actually am listening to them now...), but this do not make bash other equipment just because theyar are, or look, different.

The Strada's have received some very good reviews and my question was directed to those persons who listened to both of them.

Thanks for those that gave a reasoned answer.

• 07-09-2010 11:01 AM In reply to

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Sorry, I forgot to say:-

1) Welcome to the forum afcintra!

2) Yes, you CAN use Beolab 2 and 7.2 with a generic A/V processor, in case anyone was wondering, you just have to send the correct trigger signals to switch on the speakers when no B&O source is present.

Kind regards, Steve.

By the way, Steve, I am using your cables to connect the BL3s to a QUAD CD player and they sound great!

• 07-09-2010 11:21 AM In reply to

afcintra:

It is interesting to see how people complain about how the hi-fi crowd treats B&O and do exactly the same when asked about some other equipment.

I am super happy with my BL3s (actually am listening to them now...), but this do not make bash other equipment just because theyar are, or look, different.

The Strada's have received some very good reviews and my question was directed to those persons who listened to both of them.

???

B&O enthusiasts are known for their cloth ears and slavish devotion to form over function - at least according to the mainstream hi-fi crowd :(

• 07-09-2010 11:39 AM In reply to

afcintra:

Agree completely - there are lots of companies out there trying to produce good products and a number who make exciting designs. If we all liked exactly the same, life would be very boring. Not seen or heard these speakers but will now have a look thanks to your post and Steve's reply.

• 07-09-2010 1:10 PM In reply to

Gallo speakers produce a very credible and engaging sound - it's an excellent design.

The thinking behind the dispersion pattern of these goes hand-in-hand with what acoustic lenses are trying to achieve. The more compact unit is a joy to listen to.

• 07-09-2010 1:48 PM In reply to

Peter :
    If we all liked exactly the same, life would be very boring.

You are, of course... correct.

It is known by some that I have had good things to say about AG speakers in the past... in fact I own several of them! I am, however, unfamiliar w/ the Stradas and can't offer any fair advice except that my AG's are well made, sound great, and like B&o... different! My opinion is, of course, not driven by the need to make rent every month.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-09-2010 3:00 PM In reply to

soundproof:

Gallo speakers produce a very credible and engaging sound - it's an excellent design.

The thinking behind the dispersion pattern of these goes hand-in-hand with what acoustic lenses are trying to achieve. The more compact unit is a joy to listen to.

Interesting that the portable air conditioning unit in the top picture has a doppelganger that closely resembles a speaker...

• 07-09-2010 4:43 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

afcintra:

The Strada's have received some very good reviews ...

There's no accounting for taste ...

The proof of the pudding is in the eating ...

Find out by yourself if you like them - (potentially) you'll have to live together...  Big Smile

• 07-10-2010 12:04 PM In reply to

Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1's?

Comparison should not be between them and 3's, but more so the 9's.  Wire the Reference 3's with an external amp and activate the second bass coil for tremendous bass response, performance is between Beolab 9's and 5's somewhere.

So impressed I bought the last three pairs in Europe before the release of the 3.5's at double the price , still got one pair left, boxed.

Disappointed to see such blinkered opinions, comments and expressions about other products.  These are simply brilliant speakers and in my view far superior to the excellent Beolab 3's - just look at the specs or read educated comments like Steve's above.

• 07-10-2010 12:43 PM In reply to

KingOfSnake:

Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1's?

Comparison should not be between them and 3's, but more so the 9's.  Wire the Reference 3's with an external amp and activate the second bass coil for tremendous bass response, performance is between Beolab 9's and 5's somewhere.

So impressed I bought the last three pairs in Europe before the release of the 3.5's at double the price , still got one pair left, boxed.

Disappointed to see such blinkered opinions, comments and expressions about other products.  These are simply brilliant speakers and in my view far superior to the excellent Beolab 3's - just look at the specs or read educated comments like Steve's above.

Ian (it is Ian, isn't it?)

Granted, speakers from this manufacturer might sound good, but they look terrible. You cannot be particularly educated in terms of understanding good design if you like your speakers to look like:

Probably good in this hot weather though, mind.

• 07-10-2010 2:05 PM In reply to

Surely the point about design is that it appeals to different people. These speakers clearly have a very technical look and in the right setting would look spectacular and from the opinions above from people I have great respect for, will no doubt sound brilliant as well. Plenty of people decry the design of the Beolab 5 but most of us would give them house space in a second.

• 07-10-2010 2:12 PM In reply to

The Gallo speakers that some deem to be air conditioning units look brilliant in any room - and sound wonderful. Very good workmanship, and everything's there for a purpose related to excellent reproduction of sound. Astonishing sound.

• 07-10-2010 2:21 PM In reply to

soundproof:

The Gallo speakers that some deem to be air conditioning units look brilliant in any room - and sound wonderful. Very good workmanship, and everything's there for a purpose related to excellent reproduction of sound. Astonishing sound.

Yaddah - will they be appearing in MoMA anytime soon?

Thought not.

• 07-10-2010 2:42 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

soundproof:

Thought not.

Are BL3's, 9's or 5's in MoMA?

• 07-10-2010 3:00 PM In reply to

Puncher:

j0hnbarker:

soundproof:

Thought not.

Are BL3's, 9's or 5's in MoMA?

Nope. But they're not in Argos either, like that high-end tower fan a few posts above :D

• 07-10-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

soundproof:

Thought not.

Actually, having been to MoMA, it would not surprise me at all. I think the Strada speakers look pretty good and the reviews I have read suggest excellent performance. If people don't like the look, that is fine, but I see no reason to criticise the views of others. Particularly when it would seem that a number of known B&O enthusiasts also own these speakers and like them and the BL3s mentioned in the first post. The original question was about the performance and it would seem that they measure up extremely well.

Page 1 of 2 (45 items) 1 2 Next >