in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-14-2010 11:29 AM by Dillen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2010 10:14 AM

Fixing a Beomaster 2400-2

Hello again everyone...  I'm the proud owner of a Beomaster 2400-2, which Peter incredibly kindly gave me after I shared my bad experience on here that I'd had with a Beocenter 2200 I bought on eBay (which turned out to be a total lemon, even by what I now know are the standards of Beocenter 2200s).

Anyway, the Beomaster's having a few teething troubles - there's a little bit of a hum from it, and it's developed the habit of randomly switching itself between tape, phono and tuner... which is merely slightly irritating if I'm using the tape channel to play my iPod, but downright annoying if I'm trying to play a record because the control mechanism activates and turns the record deck off.

Peter alluded to some little red capacitors, which apparently often need replacing in 2400s.

Anyway, we concluded the best thing to do was to find someone reasonably local to service it - I've been meaning to sort this out for months but have been a bit tied up with moving house and only just got around to posting on here...  I'm in South London now.  Camberwell at the moment, but Streatham soon.

I have a more or less total lack of skills with electronics which makes getting Someone Knowledgeable to do it for me absolutely vital!

Can anyone recommend anyone?  Or recommend themselves even - don't be shy!

• 07-09-2010 11:05 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Fixing a Beomaster 2400-2

I'd be happy to take a look at it but I'm in Denmark.
    I've repaired lots of things from overseas but there's always
    the postage cost to consider.
    I'm sure that someone in the UK will be able to help you.
    Does not sound like an expensive repair and I have a good idea with regards
    to the fault diagnosis. It's not a very difficult task if I'm right and I'd be happy to guide.

Anyone ?

Martin

• 07-14-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

Thanks Martin - yes, it's a very kind offer and I may well eventually take you up on it.  But as the Beomaster weighs several tons then I guess it might be better to try and find someone a bit nearer home at first.

Would it be worth taking something that old to a Bang & Olufsen dealer for a service?

• 07-14-2010 11:29 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I'm not sure if they would be able to help you, you could ask them, but my guess is that their quote for
    merely checking it out would make the postage costs look attractive.

Martin 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)