in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-07-2010 4:22 PM by Vienna. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2010 7:16 AM

• adro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2009
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Beosound 5 and Beolab 3500

Hallo.Unsure

I would like to have a Beolab 3500  in my bedroom. I was planning to connect this to my Beosound 5.

My first plan was to use wireless, but after reading a lot of posts here I think that the wireless system is to unstable for me.

So I would have to run a cable, and this will have to be around 15-20 meters and run on the outside of my house.

I am planning to do the job myself:

- will I be able to buy the cable without the connectors?

- is there a problem connecting the plugs/connectors, do I need special tools?

- Is there a box (like tv cable/sat) which I could connect the cable to and then a cable to the speaker/system.

- Do I need to buy other components (e.g amplifiers) or will a cable from the BS5 to BL3500 be all.

Thanks

AtleBig Smile

• 07-06-2010 7:49 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 and Beolab 3500

Hello,

good for you for choosing wired connection :-)

1. You should be able to buy MasterLink cable without plugs at your local dealer

2. You need to have special ML Tool to make plugs on both ends so you should contact your dealer after preparing instalation

3,4. In this case you can connect BeoMaster 5 directly to BeoLab 3500, just remember when hanging BL3500 on the wall that it needs power to operate

• 07-06-2010 1:33 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Krzysztof:

good for you for choosing wired connection :-)

Strongly agree with Krzysztof

If total lenght does not exceed 20m there is an alternative:

- Buy a standard 20m ML cable with 2 plugs

- Buy a Junction Box (preferably "J-Box Large")

- Find a place where you can hide this box (e.g. nearby MeoMaster5)

- Take the measurement for the 2 parts of the cable:
       ML socket BM5 <> J-Box                         (e.g. ML-Plug to J-Box 1m)  
       J-Box                <>  ML socket BLb3500  (e.g. ML-Plug to J-Box 18m) 

!! Don't cut the plugs off !!

- Cut the cable to the required lenght to get 2 pieces, each having 1 ML-plug
      and an open end

- Drilling of 8mm holes will be sufficent for ML cable w/o plugs

- Starting from your BLb 3500 install the first cable towards the location of the J-Box
    - Starting from your BM 5 install the other cable towards the location of the J-Box

Connect the cables in the J-Box following the instructions and using the supplied tool.

Furthermore you'll need wire-cutting pliers, Stanley knife, ...

• 07-06-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

What I have done in the past is buy a long run of ML cable (without plugs, as long as you need to get from BM5 to BL3500), then buy a short (1 Meter) ML cable (with plugs) and two ML junction boxes.  Instead of using a special tool to add the plug to the cable, I just cut the short cable in 1/2 and then use the junction boxes to wire each plugged end to the long run.

Stan

• 07-06-2010 4:42 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Stan:

What I have done in the past is buy a long run of ML cable (without plugs, as long as you need to get from BM5 to BL3500), then buy a short (1 Meter) ML cable (with plugs) and two ML junction boxes.  Instead of using a special tool to add the plug to the cable, I just cut the short cable in 1/2 and then use the junction boxes to wire each plugged end to the long run.

Stan

A simple solution at first glance - of course this will work too ... 
    - but you've to dismantle and connect the double quantity of wires 
    - and you'll have to hide an additional J-Box for the BLb 3500 to get a nice installation.

• 07-07-2010 2:53 AM In reply to

• adro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2009
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Thanks.

I will start planning the wire routing, and I think I will go for some sort of box solution.

I think this will make it easier if I would like to move the BM5/BL3500 in the future.

Rgds

Atle

• 07-07-2010 9:56 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Vienna:

A simple solution at first glance - of course this will work too ... 
    - but you've to dismantle and connect the double quantity of wires 
    - and you'll have to hide an additional J-Box for the BLb 3500 to get a nice installation.

Valid points.  I have used the method you suggest when I could, but it is limited to longest terminated ML cable (20M, I think), and, depending on the cable run, it can sometimes be harder to run 2 cable to meet in some hidden location vs. running 1 (then again, sometimes running 2 is easier... it all depends on the construction and the cable run).

Stan

• 07-07-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

All roads lead to Rome ... er ... StruerSmile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)