in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-08-2010 5:34 AM by tournedos. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2010 11:17 AM

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

BC 1 selling stats

Does anybody have stats of the total sells of the BC 1 ?,.....good or bad,.....

Im interested and curious why they didnt prolong this concept ?

As this is probably one of the concepts that could bring in young people for television screens and especially handy for people in older age.

So basically the question is: whats the reason its not in the portefolio anymore ?

• 07-05-2010 11:58 AM In reply to

Re: BC 1 selling stats

Simple, it is impossible to sell CRT TV's now. Every one wants a flat screen TV.

Regards Graham

• 07-05-2010 5:24 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

Simple, it is impossible to sell CRT TV's now. Every one wants a flat screen TV.

Large is beautiful - thin is beautiful - sound quality is of no importance for many buyers ... 

• 07-05-2010 6:39 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Agreed.  

CRT is dead for new sales (largely due to the fact nobody makes them, granted!) - and even pre-owned i can tell you they are pretty slow sellers, hence the prices have really tumbled.

Some real bargains to be had out there now if 'fashion' doesn't concern you and sound/image quality does.   I'm just about to take an Avant DVD home for the second room - one of my all-time favourite TV's and now for peanuts compared to a couple of years ago.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-06-2010 7:17 AM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

I actually ment the concept of BC1 so not the CRT part but the monitor / all in one capability.

And for instance the non intrusive , tugged away,  connections on the front.

At the time i bought the BC1 I was looking for a flatscreen equivalent but couldnt find one. So I decided in favour of the BC 1.

But always wandered why they didnt follow through with its concept ?

Hence the question : was this due to overall sales ?

• 07-07-2010 8:23 PM In reply to

Actually, I'm with you on this one...

I'm watching less tv than I used to and don't like the dominant nature of my horrible LCD (non B&O), so want a solution like the BC1. In fact, to the point that I'm trying to find one for sale!

I like the idea that it is a TV, DVD, CD, Radio and speakers in one. If there was such a thing available at B&O I would have bought it last weekend.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 07-08-2010 4:20 AM In reply to

I've had a BC1 for about 18 months, 12 months of which it has doubled as a main room TV on a wall bracket. The concept of having all those radio/DVD/CD/TV/ sound features in one medium sized unit is a great selling point, not quite pulled-off by the simplified Beocenter 6.

Now, however, having down-sized our home, I have to say that the BC1 and Avant really are too bulky and the temptation has to be to find an equivalent slim flat screen concept. BV10 might do the job but will need other STB/DVD units etc hidden away, and supplementary bass (BL11?)

Prices continue to tumble for all CRT based TV's. If you've got the space for them they are a real bargain. (How many houses have I visited where the owner has put a large flat screen across the corner of a room? The corner position probably suits a lot of furniture layouts, but there's no point going for a slim TV in that situation.)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-08-2010 4:27 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Today, most people do need an STB for cable or sat - and these boxes usually supply radio as well. With this in mind, the BeoVision 7 with the long stand-alone horizontal speaker will do what the BC1 did. The STB can be placed on the stand or the back of the set.

Roger

• 07-08-2010 4:30 AM In reply to

Also, for the BC1 & BV1 range,  sales sufferred towards the end of its life as it was 4:3, not 16:9

At the time, I worked in a retail group that had 8 B&O shops and 5 "multibrand" stores.  Without doubt, as the widescreen ratio gained a foothold, the idea of a £2 - 3000 square TV got harder and harder to sell - even given the superb sound & picture.  That was the case in the UK, anyway.

The same issue impacted on sales of the fairly short-lived Beocentre AV5 - brilliant sound, great picture, but 4:3.   Avant 28 outsold this product by many multiples, simply because it was widescreen.

• 07-08-2010 5:34 AM In reply to

vikinger:

Prices continue to tumble for all CRT based TV's. If you've got the space for them they are a real bargain. (How many houses have I visited where the owner has put a large flat screen across the corner of a room? The corner position probably suits a lot of furniture layouts, but there's no point going for a slim TV in that situation.)

Old furnishing habits are hard to break. Here in Finland the norm has been to put the TV on/in a bookshelf. Most have now gotten rid of the huge 32" 16:9 CRTs that used to inhabit that cavern in the furniture, simply put a flat screen in its place and lose a great opportunity to rethink the living room. They're essentialy throwing away the 1x1 m of floor space the CRT used to take, and apartments are generally pitifully small here... but when your footsteps have worn into the floor, you can't move the couch, etc Big Smile

Just a year ago you could still get some money for a generic decent CRT TV - nowadays it seems that you need to pay for someone to carry them away. If/when my MX6000 breaks I probably won't bother repairing it anymore, although I will continue to miss its looks with a new cheap LCD (but I sure won't miss the horribly soft RGB picture of the MX...).

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)