in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-05-2010 3:03 AM by Jerryatrick. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-04-2010 7:35 AM

Is this electrical smell normal or should I get someone to look at my TV?

Hi all:

The MX4000 that I have finally started making regular use of (it was in storage for about a year) has just recently started emitting a electrical type smell that can roughly be compared to warm TCP. It is not very strong but is noticeable if you concentrate on it. It definitely is coming from the TV as if you move towards the back of it the smell is more obvious.

I am not overly concerned about it but the one that must be obeyed is convinced the TV is going to blow up or shock her in some way. Should I be concerned and/or is there any way of getting rid of the smell. I believe that the smell can be put down to dust inside mingling with a solder type smell and thus a "hoover out" might resolve the issue.

Thanks

Graham

• 07-04-2010 1:06 PM In reply to

Re: Is this electrical smell normal or should I get someone to look at my TV?

The high voltages in tv's attract dust particles,and a fine layer eventually covers the internal surfaces.Depending upon where the set has been used decides what the dust smells of,and of course as components warm up,the scent is given off.

I've been amazed (and intrigued!)by some of the pong's emmitted by sets I've encountered over the years.The worst of course were from Pub's and smoker's abodes,where the inside of the set is covered with an awful brown sticky goo.There,that's put you off your dinner?

The solution is to hoover out the interior carefully using a small brush to dislodge the main dust.Then,use an electrical equipment cleaning solvent to wash the printed circuit boards etc.Don't use "foaming" type cleaners,you need special stuff that dries quickly and does'nt leave any conductive residue.I've used something called Ambertron,but Maplin may have this or similar.CPC can supply this and several similar products.

Needless to say (hopefully)Don't do this with set connected to power!!!!

Hope this makes your "smellivision"(sorry!) more nice to be near.

Regards,

Nick

• 07-05-2010 3:03 AM In reply to

Re: Is this electrical smell normal or should I get someone to look at my TV?

Hello Graham,

I loved your description of a smell as, 'like warm TCP'.  Perfect!  Afraid my reply is not perfect but may reassure you a little.  I bought a little used, BC 9300 some years ago & was horrified to be greeted by a similar smell.  I panicked & took it to a local B & O shop (no longer exists), in the West Midlands.  They just gave it a quick Spring Clean & assured me there was nothing to worry about.  Yes, they were right!  It's still fantastic!

Regards

John

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)