in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-28-2010 4:08 PM by The Plumber. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-30-2010 3:11 PM

DAB+

B&O have just launched a DAB+ module for the BC2 and BS4. Not available in the UK as there are no DAB+ stations!

• 07-01-2010 11:33 AM In reply to

Re: DAB+

I thought that DAB all together was dead?

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 07-01-2010 11:46 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

I thought that DAB all together was dead?

I'll happily write the obituary.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-01-2010 1:38 PM In reply to

Not dead in the UK. Actually I like it! Lots of choice and for spoken word it is fine. Needs a better bit rate for classical music but works fine where I am.

• 07-01-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

Peter :

Not dead in the UK. 

Only because of the massive public subsidy in the form of the BBC pushing DAB. How many commercial DAB channels are there in the UK? We all know which way the wind is blowing in terms of public finance here, so watch out for DAB dying a relatively quick and unheralded death shortly once the golden tit runs dry. I, for one, will dance on its grave Devil

• 07-01-2010 9:06 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:

Peter :

Not dead in the UK. 

Only because of the massive public subsidy in the form of the BBC pushing DAB. How many commercial DAB channels are there in the UK? We all know which way the wind is blowing in terms of public finance here, so watch out for DAB dying a relatively quick and unheralded death shortly once the golden tit runs dry. I, for one, will dance on its grave Devil

It's useful in AUS but i can't justify spending that much money for "clearer digital sound" and possibly a couple of extra channels to choose from

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-02-2010 2:51 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    How many commercial DAB channels are there in the UK?

http://www.getdigitalradio.com/stations/index/?showall=1

Loads?

• 07-02-2010 5:08 AM In reply to

csmager:

j0hnbarker:

Loads?

WTF is this?

Perhaps I should have been clearer, but I didn't really see the need....

How many national commercial DAB channels are there? And how many have closed recently (even publicly funded ones are about to close, i.e. 6 Music etc.)?

I don't really care if I can receieve BBC Radio Leeds on DAB (in the Leeds area), cos I live in Sheffield!!! At the end of the day DAB is just replicating existing content here in the UK, delivering it on an alternative platform. There are precious few commercial standalone DAB channels here in the UK, either locally or nationally, as no one is listening to them on a digital platform alone, hence there will be no advertising income and thus no future for the station.

• 07-03-2010 3:32 AM In reply to

Hello All,

Can the new DAB+ module be retro fitted to an existing Beocentre 2 that has the old DAB module? Is this now available in Australia?

Any idea of the cost and (likely) installation

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks

David Coyne

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 07-03-2010 4:08 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

csmager:

j0hnbarker:

Loads?

WTF is this?

Perhaps I should have been clearer, but I didn't really see the need....

How many national commercial DAB channels are there? And how many have closed recently (even publicly funded ones are about to close, i.e. 6 Music etc.)?

I don't really care if I can receieve BBC Radio Leeds on DAB (in the Leeds area), cos I live in Sheffield!!! At the end of the day DAB is just replicating existing content here in the UK, delivering it on an alternative platform. There are precious few commercial standalone DAB channels here in the UK, either locally or nationally, as no one is listening to them on a digital platform alone, hence there will be no advertising income and thus no future for the station.

I listen to quite a few digital stations that are not available on FM. Some are available on AM but digital quality is definitely better. You are quite right that DAB in the UK is being championed by the BBC and hence its apparent success, but I have no axe to grind on this and I like the extra choice. I have multiple DAB radios and we have them fitted to two of our cars which are excellent. It seems BBC6 may get a reprieve as teh listening figures have doubled.

• 07-03-2010 11:10 PM In reply to

• djs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

The DAB+ module will be available in Australia by the end of the month and can be retro-fitted.  I have been told the cost is in the vicinity of $500 for the module and about an hours work to install it. 

• 07-06-2010 5:30 AM In reply to

• GOLFGEAR
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-24-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Re: DAB+ AUSTRALIA

I sent another request to B & O regarding the DAB+ module upgrade for my BeoCenter 2  - In one of the threads last year it was reported that it would be available in June 2010 . Having heard nothing from B& O Austrlalia , I thought I would go direct to BeoCare.  The answer I received was that my Beocentre 2  DAB could not be upgraded to DAB+ . However their FAQ site has info that states that the unit will be availabe and be able to be retro  fitted to the original BeoCenter2 DAB.

Here roin Sydney we  have over 31 stations that broadcast in DAB+ the sound quality is far better than FM.  I was informed that the cost would be around $600 to change the receiver  module from DAB  to DAB+. Just waiting now for B & O Sydney to call me to say the module is availabe to be ordered.

• 07-07-2010 1:16 PM In reply to

Re: DAB+ AUSTRALIA

All BeoCenter-2's can be upgraded except for the early MK-I model.

MK-I has no DAB antenna connector. Meaning if your BC2 has the Antenna F-connector just beside the FM connector, it would be possible for you to upgrade to DAB+.

Golfgear: What is the type-number on your BC2 ??

• 07-08-2010 5:06 AM In reply to

slightly off topic...

Peter wrote " It seems BBC6 may get a reprieve as the listening figures have doubled."

Quite right too - Radio 3, Radio 4 and 6 music are exactly what public service broadcasting is all about - never mind eastenders, Jonathan Ross and that bright orange antique-fiddling idiot.....

The BBC is superb value when you consider the output accross Radio, TV and the web for the (smallish) licence fee.   However, they do some odd things that make very easy targets for the grumblers to attack.  Wholesale support of DAB is perhaps an example of that - although I suspect they got some "guidance" about the whole DAB/digital TV switchover, with the Govt having its eye on the value of the analogue broadcast spectrum.

For example, just yesterday, a chap was on Radio 4 defending his pay rise of £50K last year (up from £420,000 to 470,000) because he changed jobs.   He moved from a marketing role (for which he had years of experience) to overseeing programming on radio (which he has...NO experience in !!)

So he got a pay rise that is just about twice the UK's average annual salary - on top of his already huge previous basic, to take a punt at a new roile within the BBC.... and he thinks its OK because  1. He isn't getting a bonus....and 2. He (along with other execs at the beeb) is getting just 11 months pay for 12 months work.

I really do wonder what people like this guy do to "earn" about £2000 per working day.

• 07-08-2010 5:26 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

If you listen to DAB and are within a wireless network, just link your Iphone etc to "tunein radio" app and then connect it to something like the B&W Zeppelin. $500 AND you get a good speaker(with B&O ICE apparently!)

This i s what i have right up until B&O pulls it finger out and makes a dedicated MP3/phone playerSmile

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 07-08-2010 6:15 AM In reply to

The death of FM here in UK is not necessarily a fait accompli:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10545573.stm

• 07-27-2010 3:29 PM In reply to

I just would like to add that although DAB may not have delivered the anticipated success - taking into account the considerable public investment in many countries including Belgium - the project itself should not be criticised so heavily.

I am a very happy user of DAB on a BC2 which gives me access to the principal classic and rock music stations in my country at a compromisless sound quality!

greets 

BC2 DAB, Lab 1, Lab Penta, beo4, beocord 1101.

• 07-28-2010 3:40 AM In reply to

folkdeejay:

I really do wonder what people like this guy do to "earn" about £2000 per working day.

Probably exactly the same as the guy earning £200 per day.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-28-2010 4:08 PM In reply to

JohnBarker, knowing the type of music your into im very suprised you run down DAB radio so much. Just the fact that BBC6 music (which has been saved) is only on DAB is well worth DAB existing. Go on John give 6music a dab for a few days, you will love it.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)