in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-22-2010 2:05 PM by stevnp. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2010 3:13 PM

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Beosound 2 firmware update 2.00 where?

Hi i have a BS2 firmware 1.0.2. I keep trying to update via the 2.5.1 update, but although it say it's been updated the docking station remains red, i.e. doesn't change to orange as it should do during firmware update. After installation the firmware remains at 1.0.2. I'm wondering if I need to use an earlier upgrade, e.g. 2.00 if this is needed. If so does anyone know where the earlier updates can be found, or have a solution?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Filed under:
  • 06-30-2010 1:04 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 2 firmware update 2.00 where?

Hello Steve,

I have installed the firmware 2.51 a long time ago and I didn't had any problems. The upgrade was not done from1.02 but from a 2.x version. Did you get any message during the update process?

Piet

• 06-30-2010 4:51 AM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Hi Piet, thanks for your reply.

It said upgrading firmware and then activating new firmware or something like that, still won't read 2GB cards so I suspect it hasn't upgraded the firmware to the newest one as it should read these cards.

I don't think the update changes the firmware to 2.51, something like 1 xxx. Could you check your firmware version for me? 

Alternatively does anyone know what the latest firmware version is?

Best wishes,

Steve.

• 06-30-2010 2:27 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Solved!

The BS2 wouldn't upgrade the firmware to the newest version 1.1.0 12 because of a problem with the sd card. Apparently it needs to be able to write to it to enable the upgrade. Bought a new card and now working. 

One other problem now is that if I copy directly from my MacBook Pro to the sd card (it has a card reader/writer built in) BS2 doesn't see the files, even although they work on a BS3. I've tried pressing the two down arrow keys which are supposed to update the playlist, but to no avail.

I can copy via iTunes, but it is very slow, and would like to use drag and drop.

Anyone got this to work?

Many thanks,

Steve.

• 06-30-2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

You need to use single level folders.  It will not see root level files or nested sub-folders.  I think the BS3 is a little more forgiving in this respect.  Also, do you have it in "Mac Mode" (I suppose you must, if you've used it with iTunes, but never hurts to double check).

Stan

• 06-30-2010 4:53 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

If you want to verify the version of your firmware  download 

BeoSound 2 firmware reader (for windows XP, as I remember)

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beosound2/technical-downloads

• 06-30-2010 5:12 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Hi thanks for the info guys. I've checked with the firmware checker on XP and it is the newest firmware now.

I have copied a whole folder onto the sd card so that it appears in the root level as album/tracks, but when i try to play the album the BS2 ignores it. When I hold down the 2 down arrow keys for 2 seconds I don't get audible feedback that the playlist is being updated. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here. Should the BS2 be on the dock when doing this or with headphones connected? Anyone got it to work?

Many thanks,

Steve.

• 07-01-2010 11:57 AM In reply to

Steve

I struggle with my MacBook Pro and my old 12" Powerbook. The only way I can get it to work is to use iTunes (but only the 8.1 version, not the newer one) and drag and drop into the music folder on the BS2, then create new playlist folders for each album. A card reader wouldn't work for me when I tried it, as it just lumped every track into one huge 'virtual' album, and I could only skip through individual tracks and not albums as I wished.

Unfortunately B&O software support for the BS2 is still rooted in the era of Noah, large boats and excessive rainfall.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-01-2010 12:39 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

You're not using any odd characters in your folder names - I remember there was some problem years back with Japanese - I'd recommend just alpha-numeric (numbers and letters, no punctuation) until you get it working.  I haven't loaded any new music in a while, I will (time permitting) give it a shot and see if it jogs any more memories about what is required to make it work.

Stan

• 07-01-2010 12:57 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Hi John and Stan, thanks for the replies.

i'm not using any unusual characters or spaces. The drag and drop puts music on the card but it doesn't show up in iTunes or play back on the BS2.

I suspect that there is a particular way of dragging and dropping requiring the tracks or albums to be created at a particular level on the card, or perhaps the folders need to be created in iTunes after all the tracks have been dropped onto the music folder not enclosed in their own folders. I still can't get the playlists updated by holding the two down arrow keys for two seconds-no audible feedback, no response.

I'll get there in the end!

Best, Steve.

• 07-21-2010 9:42 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Steve,

I just walked thru this, and it did not require anything special.

1)  Plugin SD Card reader to Mac

2)  Insert SD Card, wait for Mac to recognize

3)  Copy folder of MP3s from Mac to top level of SD Card - Drag folder of music and drop on to SD Card icon in Finder.  No sub-folders in the folder, just mp3s.

4)  Eject SD Card

5)  Place SD Card into BS2

6)  Press and hold both down arrows until it beeps.  It beeps every 3 seconds, then starts playing.  New music is recognized.

Sorry, but it didn't require any magic, which makes me think there might be a problem with your BS2... Sad

Stan

• 07-21-2010 11:16 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Here's a screenshot of my sd card - (also, you can delete the file "Default Playlist.epl" and the BS2 should regenerate the playlist vs. step 6) above - also, in step 6), when it starts playing, it doesn't start with the new music, it starts wherever it left off before) - One final question - your card is not write-locked at all, correct?:

• 07-22-2010 1:49 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

First time trying to load music to BS2 from a Mac is just plain difficult. In case you haven't yet, check out this thread, it might give some more ideas.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 07-22-2010 10:07 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

One other thought... if your SD card is completely full, there is no room to create the "Default Playlist.epl" files.  Make sure you have at least 1M or a couple hundred K free on your SD card before you press the down arrows.

• 07-22-2010 2:05 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Thanks for all the help guys, particularly Stan-I've got it to work!

It appears that the playlist isn't updated when holding down the arrow keys unless the headphones are connected.

It's now a lot easier to fill my SD cards so I'm much happier dragging and dropping onto the card, especially as I have a built-in card reader on my MacBook, and it's about 10 times faster than either iTunes or via USB dragging and dropping.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)