in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-21-2010 9:27 AM by scootinnc. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2010 1:57 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Beo1 can be easily converted into a iMac remote

The title says it all, all i had to do was swap the innards of the imac remote with the Beo1's, and voila, the buttons <<,  >ll,  >>, MENU all work and it's great, cost me nothing but an hour of my time :D Now my mac can act sort of like a BeoSound5, i can use front row, or simply scroll through the tracks, or wake / sleep the iMac. Laughing

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-29-2010 2:25 AM In reply to

Re: Beo1 can be easily converted into a iMac remote

Smart! Photos? How to?

I have a Beo1 that is just waiting to be done.

• 06-29-2010 7:11 AM In reply to

I had the same idea as my Beo1 couldn't be changed into Beo4 mode, but I couldn't figure out how to get the thing disassembled....

If you have pictures / a descripition, that would be really helpful.

I just sold my Beo1 3 weeks ago, I think I have to find another one if that works....

regards

Stephan

• 06-29-2010 7:37 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

My method was a little wreckless, i had nothing to lose really... both beo1 and mac remote were sitting in cupboard unused.
    I fiddled with the mac remote for a while to understand the physics of it.
    I decided to be brutal and pull off the IR cover, take out the battery slide and then tear the white plastic casing carefully away from the grey innards of the mac remote, i could not get it apart any other way. Practically impossible. This process took alot of the time up, i used needle nose pliers to break away the plastic bit by bit by bit (so that it could finally fit inside the top of the Beo1 case).
    Note, the mac remote is the small rectangle white model, not the latest slim silver one.

Opening the beo1 was EASY; peel away the serial number label and there are two torx screws to be unscrewed, then slide out black inner case. Done.

Once you have successfully removed the casing of the mac remote from the grey inner case, it fits inside the tip of beo1. No need to take the rubber buttons out of the beo1, they line up just right Big Smile

The rest is up to you, i chose to keep the pair of AA batteries inside the base of the beo1 so it physically feels the same, i used paper which i stuffed into the spaces inside the beo 1 ~ it all stays together, i am very happy and surprised with the result.

I was so wrapped up in my brainwave that i did not stop and take pictures of the carnage, i wanted the result > now! End product is a beo1, visually indistinguishable from standard beo1. The volume, power, rec and stop buttons are out of use.

(iMac is now connected to beovision 3 which amazingly converts the optical signal from the imac perfectly - the Beolab 9's are singing perfectly and my iMacs itunes is working in tandem nicely, choosing music in shuffle or genius mode, (just like MOTS imho) and showing a great clear display of what is playing.

I have saved so much money.

• 06-29-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

Any idea where I can source a Beo 1? I checked eBay and they have nothing!

• 06-29-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

scootinnc:

Laughing I was thinking the same thing!

Watch Beo1 values shoot up now thanks to Dave and this simple yet outstanding mod! Well done! Yes -  thumbs up

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-29-2010 11:27 AM In reply to

Once more, we see how Apple has been inspired by B&O ... they even kept the dimensions. Big Smile

Occasionally, Struer must be wondering at their inability to take products to their logical conclusion.

Now I know what I'll be doing tonight. I have quite a number of those white remotes lying around.

• 06-29-2010 11:49 AM In reply to

" Opening the beo1 was EASY; peel away the serial number label and there are two torx screws to be unscrewed, then slide out black inner case. Done "

I discoverd the Label and the torx screws as well, opend them but NOTHING slid out, in fact the damn thing didn't move at all...

Hmmm... this is the second time I could bite my A** for selling a Beo1 ....

Regards

Stephan

• 06-29-2010 1:09 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

scootinnc:

I suspect Lee (the site owner) has at least a dozen of these being used as paperweights.

Re :- the OP, at last a good use for the Beo1 which is pretty but also pretty useless as a B&O remote.Big Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-29-2010 1:11 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

soundproof:

Now I know what I'll be doing tonight. I have quite a number of those white remotes lying around.

Should we start watching ebay?Big Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-29-2010 10:17 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Stephan:

I discoverd the Label and the torx screws as well, opend them but NOTHING slid out, in fact the damn thing didn't move at all...

Bit of elbow grease got it out for me, mate :)

Thank you for the encouragement Jeff, it was a very exciting little project!!

Just a forewarning that removing the white exterior of the mac remote was difficult. Good luck all!!

• 06-29-2010 10:58 PM In reply to

Yes -  thumbs up Nice *ahem* one Dave!!

BTW should we be calling you a Pineapple or a Banana-Bender now?

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-30-2010 3:08 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

jldmelb:

I thought it was cane toad ? :-) 

• 06-30-2010 3:32 AM In reply to

Big thanks to Dave for his Brainstorm! I now no longer consider my Beo1 useless.

From the little project.

Removing the "inner tube" was simple after undoing the two square head screws under the serial number label (T-5-75 head). I pulled it out using the tweezers on the left. The little resistance you encounter comes from the rubber pads hanging on to the inner unit, but the pads are not attached to the aluminium shell, and everything comes out.

Removing the white shell on the Apple remote took patience. Carefully remove the "black" IR cap on the Apple remote, be certain you don't ruin the IR-head.

The control unit in the Beo1 is snapped into place, and comes loose easily.

You then spend a little time anchoring the Apple remote innards. I glued the STOP-REC pad to the aluminium shell. 

The other rubber pad is loose, and is held in place by the innards, so make sure that you place the Apple remote innards to help keep things fixed.

Here's what I needed to get the job done, minus the glue I used to anchor the AR-innards.

The Apple remote's outer white casing is very hard, and takes some work and patience to snip off.

The black top comes off with a snap. It's not glued on, but is held in place by a few plastic retainers.

The IR-lamp, which you don't want to break, is on the right top end, as you're looking at the controls.

Here's the Apple Remote control interface in the middle of the old Beo1 similar unit, and the rubber pad which has control pods that fit perfectly with the Apple Remote buttons.

• 07-01-2010 8:46 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

jldmelb:

Yes -  thumbs up Nice *ahem* one Dave!!

HAHAHA!! very witty.

Yes soundproof's photos are great, I'm sorry i did not take pictures, this is exactly what it all looked like, although i left the apple buttons attached and just left them behind the beo1s buttons, not sure which is best, i gave up on removing that white plastic casing as soon it could fit / i was allowed to stop!

The beo1 is such a facsinating remote.

• 07-01-2010 11:17 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:

You then spend a little time anchoring the Apple remote innards.

Oh, what did you anchor the apple electronics to?? The black beo1 casing?

• 09-21-2010 9:27 AM In reply to

Finally got one off of eBay and should be arriving any day now. Wish me luck as I have a macmini connected to my BS3 and BV4-50.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)