in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-26-2007 11:14 AM by Keith Saunders. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2007 10:06 AM

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

DVB-T Module + HD?

Hello,

My dealer has told me this morning that the DVB-T will soon be available (we are taking days/weeks) for my BV6 26". I will order this, but the Hi-Def upgrade is also available, so should I get this upgrade done at the same time (obviously cheaper to get them both done at the same time) even though I don't have a HD signal? or will a SD signal be terrible on the HD screen?

Thanks, Ian

• 06-25-2007 11:22 AM In reply to

Re: DVB-T Module + HD?

Ian,

Yes I ordered a DVB-T module last Friday which was the first day dealers could place orders in the UK.

The SD (Freeview) will look fine on your HD TV provided you have a quality signal into the DVB-T, Yes it will not be HD, but it will be good.

You may save money having both installed at the same time, but I think it depends on the dealer and how much product you have purcahsed from them. He may do it at low or no charge.

Regards Keith....

• 06-25-2007 11:41 AM In reply to

Seems very expensive for what you get. If it integrated into the TV menu, I would get it, but it replaces the SAT/DTV so a STB will need to be V.Aux which would be a pain. Holding back at present!
  • 06-25-2007 12:02 PM In reply to

Peter,

Of course if you had a Beosystem 3, then the DVB-T/S are on the same module and appear on the same TV menu when you press DTV

Regards Keith....

• 06-25-2007 12:04 PM In reply to

Except of course that the DVB-S is pretty useless in the UK with the Sky monopoly! I suppose Freesat will work but not really the same!
  • 06-25-2007 2:56 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Sorry Peter, what are you saving? - I don't understand:

Surley this unit woud be integrted into the TV menu - how could it not be? Also why would you still need a STB? I was assuming the 'TV' button would be made redundent and now all functions would be operated from the 'DTV' and then I could scroll through TV channels along the lines of BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, ITV, ITV2, E4, etc, etc.

Have I got that wrong?

Ian 

• 06-25-2007 3:54 PM In reply to

Ian,

If you install the DVB-T and press "DTV" then you will get all the freeview channels, so you can scroll through the channels as you suggested, however if you want Sky as well as Freeview, then you would have to go to the Sky STB by pressing V-AUX in the list.

I think you will find that Peter has Sky, so he can get all the channels he needs, if you don't have Sky and don't want it, then the DVB-T is a good option

Regards Keith....

• 06-25-2007 4:03 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Thanks for clearing that up Keith. I can see what Peter means now (and other Sky users) it would appear to be an expensive step backwards.

Can I ask how much you paid for the module + fitting? I've been quoted approx £375 + £100 fitting (HD upgrade was £350 I think).

Ian 

• 06-25-2007 4:17 PM In reply to

Ian,

I think the B&O RRP was around £500, but I know some dealers are selling it for less.

I will be installing it myself, so no extra cost for installation.

Regards Keith....

• 06-25-2007 4:35 PM In reply to

Pretty expensive especially as my AV9000 controls a Panasonic DVD recorder/HDD/Freeview box using the DVD controller and the whole lot cost less than the DVB-T.I will however consider one if it integrates very well.
  • 06-26-2007 3:17 AM In reply to

The price of £375 sound about right, B&O cannot set RRP's so I'm not sure about the £500 suggestion.  As for installation, it will vary a huge amount, I dare say that for existing customers many dealers may not charge at all.  Personally I think £100 is a little much, I can't imagine it will take very long.
  • 06-26-2007 5:06 AM In reply to

I have recently upgraded to a Beosystem 3 with the DVB-T module.

The integration is certainly nice...but one problem I have is that I cannot watch any of the HD channels!

Here in Australia the free-to-air channels broadcast both SD and HD (some programs only)...however...the DVB will only play SD channels and on the HD channel all I get is sound and no picture! My dealer told me the DVB will automatically play the HD over SD if it's available...but I'm not so sure...the quality is good...but I'm not convinced yet. Because it has only arrived here in Aust for not very long...maybe the dealer doesn't know very much about it yet...but it would nice to know what to others know about this...

• 06-26-2007 6:46 AM In reply to

Well, actually the DVB-T module for a Beosystem 3 is in fact a combined unit, so it is a DVB-T/S meaning you have both satellite and normal aerial connected. Do you have both aerials connected or just one ? if one which one..

Regards Keith....

• 06-26-2007 8:02 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

There is a small advantage (as I found out for mysef recently) in having the DVB-T/S in the BS3 in the UK even if as I have Sky HD as well. In fact also the BS3 still includes an analog tuner. I have all these connected because Sky HD boxes appear to be fairly unreliable, mine has gone wrong twice since January. It is quite nice to still be able to watch freeview or analog TV while waiting for the engineer to come and fix the stb. Also in very bad weather conditions DVB-T or Analog are more reliable than Sky.

Regards

Peter

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
  • 06-26-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

I have both normal aerial and satellite connected....what I am referring to is the HD signal of the normal aerial channels...if that makes sense...like here we have channel 7 in analogue signal...but also digital signal via the DVB module...in SD (which I can see) and HD (which I can only hear sound but no picture)...
  • 06-26-2007 10:09 AM In reply to

Are B&O going to start installing a digital tuner in TV's, given the current terrestrial is pretty much a paste of space (as is the "TV" button on a Beo4)

That way a Beo4 could control the inbuilt tuner using "TV", and a STB from "SAT/DTV"

Or does the Beo5 herald the end of the Beo4 anyway? 

• 06-26-2007 11:14 AM In reply to

Well, I am not familiar with what high definition programmes are transmitted in Australia on DVB-T, in the UK currently there are none, all high definition programmes are transmitted via satellite.

So, can you receive HD via a satellite channel ? because most of the electronics is the same for DVB-T & DVB-S in a Beosystem 3 except the tuner section.

Are you sure that an HD programme is being transmitted via DVB-T (Normal Aerial) ? because if not, you are likely to get the symptoms you are describing.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)