in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-27-2010 7:40 AM by Stars. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2010 2:35 PM

iPhone 4

The iPhone 4 has launched, so who has bought one or is considering the €720 investment? Early comments suggest problems with the signal dropping out due to poor solidarity to the metal casing in the top left hand corner. Not a great start for Apple, but on paper I think the specs of this phone are incredible. Give it a few weeks and I'll give you my verdict.

• 06-24-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

Re: iPhone 4

I received my iPhone 4 yesterday and have been using it without any problems.  Big difference is price paid.  Mine was $299.00 USD with a 2 year contract.  2 year contracts are usual in the US.

The metal case is smoothly machined and feels great. The processor is twice as fast as the previous iphone  and is noticeable especially switching between applications.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 06-24-2010 6:42 PM In reply to

Thanks for your first impressions linder. 24 month contracts are not uncommon in the UK either, but due to my travels a contract of this duration would not be practical for me. I will buy the phone unlocked in the UK or in France. The only other country that sells unlocked iPhone 4 that I know of is Canada.

• 06-24-2010 7:27 PM In reply to

Stars:

Thanks for your first impressions linder. 24 month contracts are not uncommon in the UK either, but due to my travels a contract of this duration would not be practical for me. I will buy the phone unlocked in the UK or in France. The only other country that sells unlocked iPhone 4 that I know of is Canada.

I understand the dilemma when it comes to travel.  I purchased my Serene phone in France and have kept it for travel.  While traveling outside of the US, I use Skype on my iPhone usually for calls back to the US.  My wife wants an iPhone also but her contract won't allow for a change for another month.  She is looking forward to using the video phone function but I am not so sure about that. Cool

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 06-25-2010 12:44 AM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

NZ does unlocked iPhones Smile

• 06-25-2010 4:15 AM In reply to

I've just used my wife’s upgrade to order an iphone 4 for £169 and £30 a month on a 2 year contract, so will give my verdict in a few days.

She already has a 3GS and I can no longer pretend that either the Serene or the Seranata can compete on any level with an iphone except sound quality, for that reason I may keep the Serenata just for playing music when I eventually get a pair of Beolab 4's.

• 06-25-2010 6:03 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Absolutely no interest in an iPhone. 

I ordered a SonyEricsson X10 and I'm more than happy with it! The biggest plus? Not everybody is running around with it ;-)

• 06-25-2010 9:16 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Steve Job's advice on the "really coolly engineered" antenna problems - "don't hold it that way"! Either that or buy a £25 elastic band to wrap around it!Surprise

Absolutely incredible/laughable. Only Apple could release something like this and seemingly get away with it - any other company would be (rightly) pilloried.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-25-2010 11:16 AM In reply to

TWG:

The biggest plus? Not everybody is running around with it ;-)

Now why would that be? 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-25-2010 1:04 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Steve Job's advice on the "really coolly engineered" antenna problems - "don't hold it that way"! Either that or buy a £25 elastic band to wrap around it!Surprise

Absolutely incredible/laughable. Only Apple could release something like this and seemingly get away with it - any other company would be (rightly) pilloried.

The most ironic part is that Steve Jobs WAS holding the phone "that way" during the big Apple event when he unveiled the new phone AND COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK because he was covering the antenna and didn't realize it!

• 06-25-2010 2:20 PM In reply to

• tc
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Well I was hoping to get one, but when I went to the shop they advised the earliest date I could upgrade with my contract was the 25th June - one day after the launch. Just my luck. Sad

Do you think there were any left today - no chance. I will now have to wait like everyone else (and see how the antenna problems pan out) 

Adrian.

• 06-25-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

I got one... I haven't had an issues with the antenna yet. The screen really is amazing. The text is much finer and easier to read. I can't imagine the day when TV's have such amazing screens. It doesn't even look like a screen.

• 06-25-2010 9:05 PM In reply to

beojeff:

Puncher:

The most ironic part is that Steve Jobs WAS holding the phone "that way" during the big Apple event when he unveiled the new phone AND COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK because he was covering the antenna and didn't realize it!

What I found interesting is how after the story broke all these other stories about similar problems on all manufacturer's phones were unearthed by the hive mind 

In my own tests I have found that if I cup my Novia in my hand then the signal drops to 50% ... of course this is EXACTLY what I do if I am in a crowded area (barrista zone, train station, ...) and I am struggling to hear what is being said !!

LOL . . . . . . . . and all along I thought it was me going deaf 

no wait, I am going deaf 

SWMBO tells me so

LaughingLaughingLaughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-25-2010 10:52 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

I received my iPhone 4 yesterday and have been using it all day without any issues. It is a wonderful product and Apple will sell more than their wildest dreams. Regarding the antenna problems of holding it in your hand that some are complaining about, would you carry a $700.00 replacement cost phone in your hand or pocket without some kind of cover? The new iPhone is thinner and easier to drop in my opinion than the previous versions I have dropped my old iPhone 3GS a couple of times, where if not for the cover it would has been broken. That whole discussion makes no sense to me. The phone looks and feels like the old B&O products I felt I couldn't and didn't for long live without. Unfortunately I haven't seen a new B&O offering that makes me feel this way.

• 06-25-2010 10:54 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

A small point here, but Steve was having trouble with the Wi-Fi access point in the hall, not the 3G coverage.

Early indications are that the 4 is compatible with Earset 2, whereas the 3gs was not.  More information as it becomes available.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-26-2010 4:14 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

expoman:

Regarding the antenna problems of holding it in your hand that some are complaining about, would you carry a $700.00 replacement cost phone in your hand or pocket without some kind of cover?

Absolutely! Why pay $700 for something that is notionally good looking and then cover it with a brightly coloured rubber condom? My 2G model has survived all this time without, has been dropped several times and is still OK.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-26-2010 10:10 AM In reply to

It will be interesting to see if it sells in the world's fastest growing market (China) where the number 4 is considered unlucky ... in mandarin, it sounds like the word "death"

The new apple "iphone death" :)

• 06-26-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

Indeed Smile

The legend says that D-4 was skipped in professional digital broadcasting formats for this very reason, the names of the standards jumped from D-3 to D-5...

Putting a cover on a phone to be able to use it sounds just as nice as a car bra.

-mika

• 06-26-2010 1:15 PM In reply to

I was waiting for the 4 as a replacement for my Serene. Given the antenna issues and the fact that it has a higher SAR rating than the 3gs, I will be keeping my Serene, or perhaps getting a 3gs.  

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-27-2010 4:36 AM In reply to

Puncher:

Absolutely! Why pay $700 for something that is notionally good looking and then cover it with a brightly coloured rubber condom? My 2G model has survived all this time without, has been dropped several times and is still OK. 

Indeed.  I think it's a shame when I see people have bought a phone that looks so good on its own, then cover it in crap.  It's a phone, it's for using and enjoying - not covering in cotton wool to increase the resale value.  They're fairly indestructible.  If it breaks, it's insured.  And there'll be a new one out in a year.

I've dropped both my 2G and 3GS a fair few times.  They both still work.

• 06-27-2010 7:40 AM In reply to

I've never been a silicone cover lover, but I do appreciate that some people like their shiny and unscuffed portable devices ... especially when many invest a lot of time and effort into a £500+ phone. I generally just try to take care of my phones and avoiding any case or cover.

I certainly think the iPhone 4 will outsell all previous models of the iPhone, but this signal issue is pretty serious if you ask me! I played with a demo iPhone 4 yesterday and the feel is top notch, finally no more cheap plastic and chrome. The phone feels B&O-like as a product, from its build material to its now sexy design. I agree it's a downer that the iPhone is such a popular phone, but when a phone gets this good, I don't really mind. The screen has to be seen to believed, I was amazed. I had read the human eye cannot make out any of the pixels and it's so true!

• 06-27-2010 7:43 AM In reply to

I picked up the phone on Friday morning and agree with Linder - it has a great feel to it and is faster than my old 3GS.

I have to confess that switching from a 3GS with the updated software, I personally haven't noticed a tremendous difference in what the new phone actually does, however the one big feature that convinced me to switch was the much improved camera and display.

Otherwise, I would say its not as different to the 3GS as Stevie boy might suggest

ps No condom on my phone!

• 06-28-2010 5:36 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Puncher:

expoman:

Regarding the antenna problems of holding it in your hand that some are complaining about, would you carry a $700.00 replacement cost phone in your hand or pocket without some kind of cover?

Agree, I´ve dropped my 3GS in concrete floors 4 times. One of the times I even tried to save it with a foot, only resulting in kicking it away even harder. No problem what so ever, not even a scratch!

To me it's like buying BL 8000's and cover them in blankets.

And I don't understand why people pay big money for some plastic to protect the screen. The screen is made of glass and made for touching!

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 06-28-2010 6:55 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

expoman:

Hi

I think this depends on what kind of a user you are. I am using iPhone just because what the phone can do and that it does it good. It also looks good, but that is not a big thing when you are using the phone all the time (like me). However, the look is no disadvantage...Big Smile I am using protections too...

B R

Clakke

• 06-29-2010 9:14 AM In reply to

I have had each generation of the iPhone so far and I have to say that this is both the best and worst iPhone of them all! The battery was my main excuse for getting this new phone and it is much better than my 3GS. The screen and camera are phenominal, but the reception of the phone is pitiful and I keep getting a "no sim card" error. I am less than pleased with the phone right now. If they somehow fic the reception issues and my "sim card" issue, I would absolutely love it!

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >