in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-06-2010 3:03 AM by Hiort. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2010 5:48 AM

Connect BeoLab 4000s to optical out port on non-B&O Television?

Is there any way to do this? My parents have just bought a new LG television (LG 47SL90QD), but its only audio out port is an optical one. There are several HDMI, RCA and component ports, but these all appear to be for inputting sources.

Any suggestions? Have I missed something obvious?

Stuart

• 06-24-2010 6:51 AM In reply to

Re: Connect BeoLab 4000s to optical out port on non-B&O Television?

The optical port on the tv is for a digital connection to say,a surround sound processor etc.

You can pick up analogue audio from the Scart sockets,but it will be at a fixed line level.If you have B&O audio together with the BL4000's,this can be connected to the aux input of same,to play tv etc sound via the Beolabs!Will prolly sound awesome after the LG tv speakers? Good telly's for the money too!!

Nick

• 06-24-2010 7:08 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

futurist:

Is there any way to do this? My parents have just bought a new LG television (LG 47SL90QD), but its only audio out port is an optical one. There are several HDMI, RCA and component ports, but these all appear to be for inputting sources.

Any suggestions? Have I missed something obvious?

Stuart

Strange. The LG has NO analog out, no rca, no SCART, no headphone plug...?! So you will need an amp with optical in and preamp outputs for the BL 4000. A simple DAC, like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic won`t work, I`m afraid, because you need volume control.

Or just get another TV, maybe a......Beovision?

Stefan

• 06-24-2010 11:27 AM In reply to

stefan:
    Strange. The LG has NO analog out, no rca, no SCART, no headphone plug...?!

Tell me about it! It's hard to think of everything (such as audio out ports) when buying a TV and with design and picture quality being priorities, the LG fitted the bill - it looks gorgeous, absolutely minimalist, so thin and the plan was to attach some speakers later. There's no way my parents are changing television now, even if they were prepared to spend what's required to buy a BeoVision! Besides, the picture is superb.

Guess it's plan B, whatever that is...

Stuart

• 06-24-2010 1:14 PM In reply to

What's the model No of the tv?I can't believe there is no way to do this!!

LG/Philips (for it is they!)make display's for B&O also.No wonder they are good pictures.

Nick

• 06-24-2010 9:18 PM In reply to

Model number is: LG 47SL90QD.

• 07-05-2010 8:16 AM In reply to

Still working on this one...had a thought about using a spare LG HD set top box I have. Could I simply connect the BL4000 to the audio out ports on this and use it to provide the sound, but watch the picture using the television's tuner (which may or may not be superior to the STBs)?

Would I have control over the sound this way? I've heard in some cases of attaching B&O speakers to non B&O tvs the volume can be unregulated

Will the sound and image be in sync even though they are coming from different sources?

Just thought I'd ask before I blow anything up...

Stuart

• 07-06-2010 3:03 AM In reply to

futurist:

Will the sound and image be in sync even though they are coming from different sources?

The sound and image will most likely not be in synch....

Why not using the tuner in the LG HD box as well?

/C

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)