in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-24-2010 7:50 AM by tournedos. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2010 2:34 PM

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Red line speakers

How should I rate the sound quality of the Red line series? I never listened to one, but came across some RL 7000's so I wondered how I should place these speakers in the perspective of B&o speakerdesign. How do they compare to the late 70's uniphase range (of which I know they sound very well balanced). 

• 06-23-2010 3:03 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Red line speakers

jc:

How should I rate the sound quality of the Red line series? I never listened to one, but came across some RL 7000's so I wondered how I should place these speakers in the perspective of B&o speakerdesign. How do they compare to the late 70's uniphase range (of which I know they sound very well balanced). 

The RL7000 (RL140) are quite decent (and quite huge). They were meant for either floor, ceiling or wall mounting, with the appropriate stands/brackets. I have the smaller RL60 and think they sounded better wall mounted, than on their stands - standing directly on the floor using the "built in" folding stand is worst of all. I can't comment side by side with the Uniphase series (although my brother in law had S45's).

At the time they were the passive speakers sold along side the BS5000, the S55's were just on the way out.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-23-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I agree - wall mounted is the best option. I've owned RL35's, RL45.2's, RL60.2's & RL140's. Of all of them the 140's were easily the best sounding but they had to go before SWMBO packed her bags & left, simply too imposing for most homes. A very very well balanced speaker but not as good as my MC120.2's as a comparison.

The RL60.2's were a decent compromise between size & sound quality but again not as good as some S55's I owned.

The smaller of this range - RL35's, decent enough small speaker but not really any use other than in a small link room. The 45's are again OK but not outstanding in any way but worked surprising well with a Beocanter 2200 (the Sony based system). For some reason this combination lifted each other above the mundane.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-23-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I have RL140's, S75's and S55's...its really difficult to say. I think it also depends on which amp you are using. I like all three but maybe I have a slight preference for the RL140's although I have some Beovox 5700's which are also very good. All in all if I had to choose perhaps it would be the RL140's but as mentioned they are very noticable in any room you put them in due to their size and shape.

Durban South Africa

• 06-23-2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

I agree - wall mounted is the best option. I've owned RL35's, RL45.2's, RL60.2's & RL140's. Of all of them the 140's were easily the best sounding but they had to go before SWMBO packed her bags & left, simply too imposing for most homes. A very very well balanced speaker but not as good as my MC120.2's as a comparison.

The RL60.2's were a decent compromise between size & sound quality but again not as good as some S55's I owned.

The smaller of this range - RL35's, decent enough small speaker but not really any use other than in a small link room. The 45's are again OK but not outstanding in any way but worked surprising well with a Beocanter 2200 (the Sony based system). For some reason this combination lifted each other above the mundane.

Chris.

A good summary, although I think it fair to point out that the MC120.2's aren't exactly "compact" either!Laughing

• 06-23-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The MC120.2's are actually surprisingly compact Pucher. To give you an idea, they share the same grill covers as the S55's. Mine are in white which makes them even less conspicuous. Just a shame I cannot mount them on floor stands while the grandkids are at that "I wonder what happens if I pull off this grill & push my finger into this dust cap" age. Nowhere near as imposing as any of the RL's from 45's upwards - even wall mounted. Best speakers I have & will be buried with them, if I had RL140's they could bury me IN themBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-23-2010 4:17 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

The MC120.2's are actually surprisingly compact Pucher. To give you an idea, they share the same grill covers as the S55's. Mine are in white which makes them even less conspicuous. Just a shame I cannot mount them on floor stands while the grandkids are at that "I wonder what happens if I pull off this grill & push my finger into this dust cap" age. Nowhere near as imposing as any of the RL's from 45's upwards - even wall mounted. Best speakers I have & will be buried with them, if I had RL140's they could bury me IN themBig Smile

Chris.

My mistake - I assume I mean the MC150's!Laughing

BTW - the name's Puncher!Stick out tongue

• 06-23-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Puncher:

You're forgiven Poucher.

I had some of those beasts as well. Absolutely breath takingly good but the wifes suitcases came out again when she saw them. It was a much closer call though this time deciding which of them had to go. They are now with a terrific Irish bloke & his long suffering wife. Now those would make ideal coffins for the pair of them.

Chris.

• 06-23-2010 4:50 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Never mind, Puncher.
    He cant even get his own name right:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34191/281924.aspx#281924

Whistle

Martin

• 06-23-2010 5:08 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Dillen:

Never mind, Puncher.
    He cant even get his own name right:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34191/281924.aspx#281924

Whistle

Martin

LaughingLaughingLaughing - blinded by the shirt, no doubt!

Cheers Martin!Wink

• 06-23-2010 6:07 PM In reply to

I like the way my RL60's sound with a BM5000 or BM 3000/3300 series. Mine have replaement passive radiators in lieu of the old

ABR which you cant get repaired in the states. I also recapped them with Solen poly fast caps and put in a mills 10w resistor to rplace the dinky 3w one.

I have some original and revised  uniphase speakers which seem to work a little better with my older BM4000 and 2400 setups

• 06-23-2010 7:36 PM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Medogsfat:

Puncher:

You're forgiven Poucher.

I had some of those beasts as well. Absolutely breath takingly good but the wifes suitcases came out again when she saw them. It was a much closer call though this time deciding which of them had to go. They are now with a terrific Irish bloke & his long suffering wife. Now those would make ideal coffins for the pair of them.

Chris.

Haha! That's pretty funny. I've always thought it was funny that people considered any of B&O's speakers to be massive. I don't think my MS150's are all that big. They're fairly compact for what they are, IMO. B&O certainly could have sqeezed out much deeper bass by using a real "coffin" sized cabinet, of course at the expense of power handling.

Anyway, THIS is a massive coffin:

http://www.audioresource.net/News/Khama_Grand_Enigma.html

Or this:

http://junkies.wordpress.com/2006/12/23/the-most-expensive-speakers-in-the-world/

That, to me, is massive.

A nicely finished pair of MS150's in a normal living room is quite pleasing indeed. And my wife agrees. Lucky me I guess! :D

Jon

• 06-23-2010 7:53 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Puncher:

You're forgiven Poucher.

Chris.

Sometimes it's better to let the wife go. Wink Many brave men has sold their precious loudspeakers just because the wife/girlfriend didn't like them. Do you oppose in the same way, when she buys something you don't like..? Hmm

Stand up for your rights!!! "Love me -love my loudspeakers...", "it's my way -or the highway..." Wink

Believe me -I've lost some girlfriends because of that (well -not only) -but now I have someone with the same good taste, and tolerance Smile

Steffen

• 06-23-2010 8:12 PM In reply to

Steffen:
    Sometimes it's better to let the wife go.

N'ah... I just have her re-foamed.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-24-2010 2:09 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Which is more massive ?

Martin

• 06-24-2010 3:11 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Hmm, drifting a bit off specs here..

Anyway the reactions above could be summarized as good but not excellent speakers. So I'll keep my uniphases. Besides that I think that wall-mounting a RL 7000 is even more dominant than putting them on a floorstand.

• 06-24-2010 4:35 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree. And it doesn't make it better that the ideal placement on the wall would be at ear-height.
    That is when you sit down and listen.
    Many owner get this all wrong and place the speakers far too high, often close to the ceiling
    and that spoils the experience.

Martin

• 06-24-2010 7:50 AM In reply to

burantek:

Steffen:
    Sometimes it's better to let the wife go.

N'ah... I just have her re-foamed.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Back on subject - I absolutely love the RL60.2's I have at the office at work. They are mounted on ceiling poles, and I have to admit they didn't sound anything special before I recapped them with Intertechnik MKT caps. The difference was like night and day.

I haven't subjected them to WAF evaluation, but the cow-orkers call them Claymore mines Laughing

(I'm not a brand believer when it comes to caps, those were most conveniently available.)

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)