in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-22-2010 7:58 AM by Dave. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2010 12:29 PM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Optical out (on computer) directly to Beovision 3

Hi all,

I am going to try connecting the imac directly to BV3 which is connected to BL9's does anybody forsee any issues with this?
    Has anybody else tried it?

I suppose i will be accessing the sound by pressing AV + SAT, (on the BV3 i'll be using the digital coax socket, normally used for SAT).

My main confusion is, can i assign an unused source to that digital coax input on the TV? Otherwise i think i'll need to unplug the imac from the TV when i want to use the set-top box...

any thoughts appreciated! :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-21-2010 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: Optical out (on computer) directly to Beovision 3

sorry for being slightly confused - but as I read it you are only trying to connect the audio ? and not the video ? on my BV8 the audio does not activate if there is not an accompanying video signal (I think ... from hazy memory)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-21-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Should work as the BV3 just has analog video in , but first you will need an optical to coax converter.

Just press "source" and the port should be activated incl. picture. If you want the picture muted press AV - source. The digital sound won`t be distributed via Masterlink.

Stefan

• 06-21-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

It will probably not work completely.

The digital coax  input from a BV3 responses only to DolbyD (or DTS) signals.

So, the sound module will not respond to linear PCM audio signal.

Only sound modules with software 1.9 or lower will respond to Linear PCM and Dolby D (NOT DTS). But mostly, the modules are updated to higher softwareversions which only respond to Dolby D or DTS.

• 06-21-2010 6:57 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Hi, it turns out that a digital optical sound source does work without a video source playing, but i'm concerned Beobuddy is right, that it will not accept the imacs digital signal... is there any way around this? :( The imac says that the output is s/pdif digital audio output...

• 06-22-2010 7:58 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

If that's the case, then this item doesn't look like such a bad option, appears to be a handmade DAC. While i'm strapped for cash, which may be for a long while to come for as long as i continue planning to conquer the world Smile

I do not know alot about all this digital to analogue business, but surely the sound quality to the BL9's can't be THAT different to a premium converter such as the cambridge DACmagic?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)