in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-21-2010 12:41 PM by Dave. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2010 8:43 AM

Beovision avant 50hz or 100hz

Are there any differences in picture quality between the 50 and 100 hz versions of the avant. I am looking for a good 2nd hand 28" model and have come across differing opinions on the quality of 100hz tv, many critical. 

I have a mx4000 which has a great picture, are the 100hz versions of the avant completely free from judder and smearing should I confine my search to the 50hz models.  

Thank you.     

• 06-19-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision avant 50hz or 100hz

The 100Hz will be newer - I have a 32 100Hz Avant and am very pleased with the picture.

• 06-20-2010 4:15 AM In reply to

Hi Scramble. Welcome to the forum!

Any reason you are looking for a 28" rather than 32"? I suggest you search the forum regarding the 28" Avant. You will find that there are some potential quality issues. Also look at the opinion on the 28" Avant expressed in the Jarmans' B&O collectors book.

Go for Peter's 32" 100hz if you can (the later true flat screen model with DVD). I have one  and it's difficult to fault (other than its bulk and the issues of transport!)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-20-2010 6:29 AM In reply to

Graham

What issue? I have a 28'" RF Avant and am very pleased with it. Do you mean the difference between the 28" and 32" BV3, where the 28" is an upscaled MX set, and the 32" is basically the innards from a 32" Avant?

I think the 32" Avant is too big, but the 28" is about as 'discrete' as an Avant can get ;)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-20-2010 10:02 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Graham

What issue? I have a 28'" RF Avant and am very pleased with it. Do you mean the difference between the 28" and 32" BV3, where the 28" is an upscaled MX set, and the 32" is basically the innards from a 32" Avant?

I think the 32" Avant is too big, but the 28" is about as 'discrete' as an Avant can get ;)

Hi John,

The only 'issue' which is raised in a past series of postings is a scathing remark that the Jarmans made in their book about the 28" Avant tube   quality (which you will see had widespread agreement from  many on this forum.) It's all relative though......... just suggests that there might be a higher failure risk if you have the choice between a used 28" and a 32".

Graham

• 06-20-2010 10:08 AM In reply to

So far I have noted some comments on the earlier 28" avants regarding the tubes having some problems in the longer term, the RF models appear to be better in this regard. Size is the reason for preferring the 28". However the later 28"  RF models seem to be 100hz which from what I've read of other tv's can produce a worse picture than 50hz. Is this true of B&O.  

• 06-20-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

scramble:

So far I have noted some comments on the earlier 28" avants regarding the tubes having some problems in the longer term, the RF models appear to be better in this regard. Size is the reason for preferring the 28". However the later 28"  RF models seem to be 100hz which from what I've read of other tv's can produce a worse picture than 50hz. Is this true of B&O.  

In the previous thread re the Jarmans' book comments, I've just noticed that Peter actually says that he has noticed some artifacts with the 100hz tubed 32 Avant. I can't comment personally on the 28" Avant. All I can say is that the 32" Avant that I have (from the final year of manufacture) has a stunning picture and I haven't noticed any picture quality issues with it whatsoever.  It might be more important to establish roughly how many hours use the TV has already had (through the service menu) but you will find elsewhere on the forum opinions that this approach is meaningless. The costs of these TV's has now dropped to the extent that maybe it doesn't matter too much whether a TV tube has 1 year or 10 years life left in it, and I wouldn't get too hung-up on a 50hz vs 100hz theoretical issue. If you get the chance to get a TV from a reliable source or with a known history (not already moved too many times in someone's boot!!!) then that's the way to go.

Graham

EDIT Just to add to previous comments, the Jarman's question the 28" curved screen quality. Lee stated in that previous thread that the 28" RF Avant may be more reliable than the 32" RF Avant wrt blown tubes.

• 06-20-2010 3:52 PM In reply to

If size is an issue, consider the Beovision 3 which was much the same thing but quite a bit more compact (in some directions!) Also cheaper. I would still go for a 32" though - remember that a 32" widescreen TV is still not as tall in the screen as a 28" 4:3 set like an MX6000. You are always taking a risk buying an old TV though most of the dud ones should have gone by now. Don't pay too much!!

• 06-21-2010 12:41 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

50hz picture tubes have the familiar CRT high pitched whine sound and the flicker / shake, but picture is very crisp and fast, accurate,

100hz is silent in operation, without the flicker, but the picture is a little softer and slower, I prefer the 100hz, you get used to the softness of the picture and at times the picture is almost 3D-like > IMHO.

AVANT and BV3 32 are very good value for money sets, i have the BV3, it's 9 years old now, has been turned on and off over 9000 times, and it's still never had to visit the repairman ~touch wood!!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)