in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-17-2010 12:46 PM by kawo. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-14-2010 5:35 PM

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

B&O and home cinema

Good evening dear civilised people

If you want to have a B&O home cinema, I have hard to find relevant equipment. I am planning to build a real cinema room in a year or so. Today, we are using a projector, passive speakers and a surround receiver for our home cinema room. This room is not connected to our Beolink, which is only sound equipment at home.

If I set up a projector for the picture, what equipment can be used from B&O for the rest? I mean, do they sell surround processors outside the TVs? We do not want a TV in that room. If we put a PS3 for Blue Ray, how can that be connected with B&O equipment? Not to mention passive speakers e g a Miller & Kreissler system.

Is this a situation when you do not involve B&O?

B R

Clakke

• 06-14-2010 5:48 PM In reply to

Re: B&O and home cinema

The BeoSystem 3 is a terrific cinema master and can help coordinate the whole experience. We use mostly Sim2 projectors for higher end theater rooms and Samsungs or Sim2 Dominos for the lower end budget theaters. For speakers we generally use BeoLabs or Genelecs as the loudspeakers. Of course there are several other devices that are common in theater rooms, such as Kaleidescape systems and lighting control and the BeoSystem 3 controls and cooperates with these devices flawlessly. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-15-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

The BeoSystem 3 is a terrific cinema master and can help coordinate the whole experience. We use mostly Sim2 projectors for higher end theater rooms and Samsungs or Sim2 Dominos for the lower end budget theaters. For speakers we generally use BeoLabs or Genelecs as the loudspeakers. Of course there are several other devices that are common in theater rooms, such as Kaleidescape systems and lighting control and the BeoSystem 3 controls and cooperates with these devices flawlessly. 

Hi Trip

Thank you for your answer. Beosystem 3 could be an alternative, but is this product really up to date? I looked at it and discovered that it still uses DVI-out. In this kind of setup, I want to be able to switch equipment when something new appears, except the speakers of course. If I remember correct, the price is quite high for this device, so it must last for long. How is it, does it support 3D? How futureproof is this thing? Are there any upgrade around the corner e t c?

Another problem with Beosystem 3 is if we choose passive speakers. There do not seem to be an amplifier in it. Is this the same box that is included in some B&O TVs? If it is, it seems that the main cost from a TV comes from Beosystem 3.

B R

Clakke

• 06-15-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

I could be wrong,

But DVI-D for home  projectors is fair enough..you don't have to elaborate audio signal so HMDI is not necessary....

• 06-15-2010 11:15 AM In reply to

Clakke,

B&O is all about amplified speaker, so you will not find anything with an amp in it, except from... all their speakers.

Beosystem 3, is indeed present in all their top of the range TV.

p.

• 06-15-2010 4:26 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

andreabang:

I could be wrong,

But DVI-D for home  projectors is fair enough..you don't have to elaborate audio signal so HMDI is not necessary....

Hi

A couple of years ago it was common with DVI when dealing with projectors. Nowadays, probably not. I do not think our projector have a DVI port and that one is about two years old. Of course you could adapt DVI to HDMI,but it feels a bit old...

B R

Clakke 

• 06-15-2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

PhilLondon:

Clakke,

B&O is all about amplified speaker, so you will not find anything with an amp in it, except from... all their speakers.

Beosystem 3, is indeed present in all their top of the range TV.

p.

Hi PhilLondon

This can not be the whole truth. I our bathroom is a passive speaker, which has never been used for anything. In a while we will install a couple of Beovox that are passive speaker and the installer will use a Beolink passive kit to drive both the Beovox and the bathroom as one zone. So there are amplifiers in the product range. Maybe not for home cinema though.

B R

Clakke 

• 06-15-2010 4:50 PM In reply to

They only have the Beovox 1 now...which is an in-wall speaker for ambient music throughout the house not anything meant for home cinema.

I think what the person above was meaning is that their lineup now is that if you are wanting to use passive speakers for your home cinema then there isn't much of a point in spending huge amounts of money on a BS3 which really won't be doing anything for you.  The BS3 is meant to drive surround sound with active speakers.

• 06-15-2010 6:34 PM In reply to

Clakke, the BeoSystem 3 is an extremely high-end processor. As with many high-end products the decisions made are carefully considered. DVI is the video component of the HDMI protocol and can be converted with a simple adaptor. If you speak to the video engineers in Denmark they explain that you should not send sound to a video monitor. I can't say personally that it actually interferes, but there's a clear decision being made. 

As for upgrades and the potential of obsolescence, you'll find that B&O is more sensitive than any other manufacturer to keeping their platforms viable for as long as possible and increasing sales through additions and not replacements. If I wanted to make a safe longterm decision I would not personally look elsewhere. 

And yes, the price is a major component of the B&O premium televisions. 

Good luck.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-16-2010 11:29 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

I am not sure if I would go for a BS3 in a dedicated home cinema room. I have a living room setup with a Bv4 and projector and the beautiful BL5 and 3. So design of the components is a important part also the functionality (e.g. switching between projector and plasma) is very nice.

In a dedicated room however, I would go with other brands as Trip has suggested already, so if the Bs3 is the only B&O component left over I would skip that one as well. I don't see the advantage compared to other brands, further more, usually others are much more flexible with a lower price point. However, the first setup and the remote control concept might be a little more complicated...

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 06-16-2010 1:11 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi

Thank you all for being very helpful.

To Trip:

If I also bought a B&O TV with Beosystem 3 to the home cinema room and used active speakers, I believe that that would be a nice solution. The problem is just, the minor detail, that we do not need a TV in the home cinema.

To Kawo:

I think you are absolutely right. It is much more simplier to get a good surround receiver with a HDMI switch. If we however go more high end with a pre amp/processor, I believe that Beosystem 3 could do a nice job. I suppose you have something like a Beoliving room? My dealer have a room like that with Beolab 5, 3, 7.?, BV4 and some projector. It looks fantastic, but my budget you know...  Our room is supposed to look like a typical cinema in miniature, so maybe I would not go for Beoliving even if the budget was stronger.

The remotes won´t be a problem. There are Philips or Logitech that I already use today for controlling our B&O and Loewe. Soon there will hopefully be an app and hardware for the iPhone. I feel that B&O´s remotes are quite obsolete for the moment.

B R

Clakke

• 06-16-2010 2:11 PM In reply to

Good luck with your room Clakke

• 06-16-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

Good luck with your room Clakke

Thank you. The dreaming started long ago. Now when the room, which is an old garage, is not used anymore, we can start the real planning. The room is about 6m long and 4.5m wide. First it must be rebuilt with more isolation and heat in the floor e t c. After that it is time for inner walls and ceiling, where it is important to think about the cabling. Then, I better be ready with what hardware to put in. Maybe in-wall speaker or Miller&Kreissler or B&O or Audio Pro or... Anyway, the dream is in our reach.

B R

Clakke

• 06-17-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

There is one guy who did the same thing rebuilding a unused garage to a cinema. You may find the details at the avsforum, don't have the name of the guy handy in the moment. But what he did was more than remarkable....

Edit: found it.... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574704

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)