in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-14-2010 1:44 AM by beocool. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-12-2010 9:30 PM

Why do people put down B&O sound

I have been reading alot of forums in regards to B&O because i wanted to get into there products.

There seems to be alot of people bashing the sound quality ,and saying you are just paying for the looks and just want to impress non audiophile people.Even going so far as to say that the people who but B&O are just rich snobs with money to burn.

Dispite it all i still bought a complete Beomaster 5500 for $350usd

I am no audio expert .Coming from vintage Pioneer and Sansui gear to compare, i was shocked when i first hooked it up and played some classic rock records.

It seems like the Beogram 5500 just picked up all the sounds in the grooves ,the highs was clear the bass was full and tight and the sound was just awsome.And to top it off there was no motor noise or anything else except music.

Then when i played some rap music on the cd 50, it was almost like the record player was playing.So analog ,simply the best cd player i ever heard.

Hooked up to a cheap pair of Polk bookself speakers,the sound was just so much better compared to my other system.

More defined accurate and real.

The build quality is top notch also, like how the buttons feel how everthing just works so smooth and precise.

I love how the lines just flow in perfect symmetry,and it is so heavy for being so compact the inside must be as nice as the outside.

It looks great and sounds great ,the best of both worlds.

The best $350 i ever spent, just need to get some decent speakers and i am set.

Just want to know what you people think of to whysome  people have such a negative remark about the sound quality

• 06-13-2010 2:37 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Re: Why do people put down B&O sound

Welcome to the world of B&O..................Beoworld!! I will agree to a point that there are people buying B&O just for the looks or to show off. But trust me these are not in here. Of course there are other brands that have excellent sound products, however when it comes to speakers, B&O is unique. Or you have to check custom made speakers BUT you need too many to have the same result with just two of B&O. And you have just heard Beomaster 5500 with a CD50. Wait until you hear the CD5500 and with a good pair of speakers. Bottom line is that once you go for B&O you never look back.......................

Best regards

Spiros

• 06-13-2010 3:49 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

"Why do people put down B&O"?

The same reason fat chicks put down Models.

The same reason turbo drivers put down Ferrari drivers.

The same reason Japanese bike riders put down Ducati / Mv Agusta riders.

Answer: Jealousy

Any further analogies?

• 06-13-2010 4:01 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Because they should have tried harder at schoolCool

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 06-13-2010 4:42 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Because when people go to someone's home and see a B&O for the first time they go oh my word what is that, its beautiful and then you turn it on and the they go OH MY WORD thats beautiful.....whilst in other peoples homes where there are ugly black boxes, people don't even notice and don't comment. The B&O bashers can't seem to understand that something beautiful can also sound good, that is, that they think that most of the effort has been put into the looks of the product and not what the product delivers. So if its an ugly looking box, well they obviously didn't put much effort into the design therefore they must have spent most of the effort in the sound quality.

Durban South Africa

• 06-13-2010 4:57 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

There is a lot of invert ignorant snobbery here in the UK and that has something to do with it i'm sure. I don't have much B&O equipment to be honest but had a discussion with a non believer at work who too his credit did have some knowledge, in this respect about the use of Samsung panels.

I knocked the discussion on the head about paying x when Samsung panels are being used, when i reminded the gent that his Volvo he payed over £30,000 for had a Ford platform, gearbox and engine that is built in Liverpool. He was a little bit put out. Of course i would rather drive the Volvo as i would the Rolls Royce that has a BMW engine and gearbox and this is the point.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 06-13-2010 6:29 AM In reply to

From a Danish HIFI perspective its more the design and lack of buttons to adjust and what have you.

As I say there is HIFI or B&O.

With B&O you find it, get it serviced and then you can enjoy it for the longest time into the future.

With HIFI you can tweak it until you leave the planet. B&O is set it and forget it well kind of you know.

I find '80s B&O to be real acurate and simply always wonderfull in all details while looking great.

I'm using my white Beomaster 8000 and CDX + Beovox M150 speakers alot these days. The higher the volume the greater it sounds.

• 06-13-2010 7:32 AM In reply to

You can't listen to the idiot "audiophile" world re B&O.  They'll put down B&O, which has some of the most advanced acoustic R&D on the planet and a long and successful history, as being expensive toys for rich fools.  At the same time, they'll spend obscene amounts of money on amps, preamps, cables and the like from mom and pop companies with little or no R&D. They make no sense.

Beolab 5, beolab 3, beolab 4000, beosound 9000

• 06-13-2010 10:38 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Jez:

"Why do people put down B&O"?

Answer: Jealousy

Honestly this is the first thing that came to my mind.

I have to admit that I have found a few people here, stateside, that are concious of B&O. Those people that are aware of the brand usually speak about superior sound quality before anything else.

Evan

• 06-13-2010 1:39 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

You'll also find that most who criticize have never actually heard a B&O system (at least this has been my experience).

Stan

• 06-13-2010 1:56 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Superior sound there surly is out there no doubt but sound is all most do. What they dont realise is that B&O is a lifestyle brand as much an A/V brand, like Apple is as much a lifestyle brand and no longer a computer company.

Try and find a brand in A/V that offers superior sound/picture, ease of use, simplicity/minimalism, beautiful design, integration in home automation for an affordable price compared with some other players in the mentioned fields. Not many compare at all.

Many of my friends bag B&O but who gives a..... Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Why buy a $30/40 thousand dollar Hublot watch when a $50 dollar Casio does the same thing? Because there is something special about it that makes you smile. When you come home from work a sit down to a bit of tele or music, it makes it all the more special. Thats me anyway, no way would I like to come home to racks of tube amps, monster cables and huge ugly wood grain box speakers. 

• 06-14-2010 1:44 AM In reply to

Too many people listen with their eyes. If they don't see big boxes and lots of cables it can't be good... How wrong they are...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)