in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-15-2010 1:45 AM by Peter. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-11-2010 1:45 PM

Gee, is it another Beomaster?

I never had a chance to play with one of these, so the obvious solution is to buy one. Was really surprised after it just arrived and I unwrapped it. Apart from some dirt and tobacco smell, the thing looks practically new! The sliders aren't cloudy at all and even the preset cover is there, as well as the original whisker antenna (too bad I hate those... Stick out tongue )

Some drawbacks of course - the switches need cleaning, the dial cord seems to have snapped and the transformer buzzes like the damn thing was about to take off... small job except perhaps the transformer.

And once I managed to coerce the phono key to make contact, it sounds totally awesome playing the 4004 into a pair of S80.2's! It will look nice alongside my same colour BM4400 if I ever manage to get it back from a friend Laughing

-mika

• 06-11-2010 1:46 PM In reply to

Re: Gee, is it another Beomaster?

Have you got a 4401?

• 06-11-2010 1:52 PM In reply to

Unfortunately no, I was referring to the rosewood top Laughing

-mika

• 06-11-2010 2:45 PM In reply to

I did say I would do some pictures of my 4401 - maybe if it is a nice day tomorrow!

• 06-11-2010 4:09 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Sniff :( Just sold my BM4000....making me feel regretful!

Durban South Africa

• 06-11-2010 4:56 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Very nice!

I really like the black and green Yes -  thumbs up

I much prefer that color scheme than that of my 3000-2

Evan

• 06-11-2010 5:25 PM In reply to

I like the black as well, especially with the dark wood. The obvious problem is that there isn't much other kit that would go well with it. The rosewood 400x series looks OK with the lid closed though, it is dark enough and the height is a good match.

-mika

• 06-11-2010 5:59 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I dont have any other components next to my BM. My 3000 is fed by a distribution amp so it gets all of my sources (cable, pc, 360, whatever I want LOL). But I mostly use mine with my ipod and as a tuner of course!

Evan

• 06-12-2010 7:43 AM In reply to

• CraigB
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Cannock, W. Mids
    • Posts 76
    • Bronze Member

My BM 5000 has started to buzz all the time, it's feint but irritating, do I need a new Transformer for it then?

Sorry for the Hijack, It's just the first post has reminded me

• 06-12-2010 8:37 AM In reply to

CraigB:

My BM 5000 has started to buzz all the time, it's feint but irritating, do I need a new Transformer for it then?

Sorry for the Hijack, It's just the first post has reminded me

Craig, you will usually get more, and more relevant answers if you just start a new thread in a suitable subforum - it doesn't cost anything Wink

But that particular problem is discussed in an old thread here. It is possible that you could benefit from service if your Beomaster has never seen any, as it is getting old - but you might be able to drop the hum to acceptable level by just trying a different surface or position for the Beomaster, or adding some rubber feet under it.

This 4000 of mine, however, has a really badly vibrating transformer. Most of the audible noise comes from the case parts resonating, but I'll need to try rubber grommets for the transformer box mountings, or something.

The dial cord was OK, but one of the slider forks that attach to it had snapped. I tied the cord (nice hard lump of old glue on it) and the remaining fork together with some thread, and secured the joint with hot glue. Works fine now, hope it will last as well. Won't be doing a recap for the time being as the Beomaster sounds incredible as it is!

For once, it was nice to be the first person ever to open the schematic envelope under the top cover Smile They have been socialized in all my previous kit...

One interesting point is that although the user manual on site still shows and talks about the alternate RCA connectors, this specimen (type 2406) doesn't even have openings for them in the rear panel. Internal PCB has the traces for them though.

-mika

• 06-12-2010 9:08 AM In reply to

• CraigB
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Cannock, W. Mids
    • Posts 76
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the Link tournedos Smile

It was serviced by the Mail Box in Birmingham some years ago but it sounds like it is due for something more major at this time of life, after all it's now 26 years old Surprise

Appologies for Hi-Jacking your thread but thanks again for the help

• 06-12-2010 3:42 PM In reply to

It even still has the little cover for the preset tuners. Usually those are long lost. Looks a lot like mine except I use a Beogram 1700.

I really like mine.

• 06-13-2010 3:51 PM In reply to

The pictures of yours made me want this, Eugene Smile

This is a definite keeper, buzzing or not. Just realized I need to try out the ambio function, I never had enough loose speakers when the 4400 was here.

-mika

• 06-13-2010 4:14 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I have been enjoying a B&O ambiophonic system for some weeks at work. I have there a BM4500 and BV3000 flat-panel speakers. I bought the B&O ambiophonic adapter some moths ago from eBay. At home I had a pair of CX50 speakers having almost no use so I decided to have a try. I must say it's worth testing if you have all the bits and enough cables.

With some music it works really nicely and adds depth to the music: in some cases the rear channel has only digital noise (because of too low-quality MP3 files!). Perhaps not exactly realistic but: it sounds nice to me so no problem! Stick out tongue In background listening it works well and being surrounded by the music really gives new life to your favourite tracks.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 06-14-2010 3:58 AM In reply to

My love-hate affair. Actually sounds really nice with a full set of new caps. Now if I could just gets the belts to stop slipping.

• 06-14-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

Lovely looking set up. I think the BG1700 is particularly nice - very under rated.

• 06-14-2010 1:40 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Eugene, you have a PM !

Martin

• 06-14-2010 2:22 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Picked up a Beocord 1700 like the one pictured the other night with some other stuff. Not had a chance to play with it yet. Way down on my list of repairs for now.Laughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-14-2010 7:02 PM In reply to

Bought the Beocard 1600 about 10 days ago on ebay from a fellow living just south of Cleveland. He PM's me next day informing me that he has an old B&O cabinet from ther 70's boxed up sitting in his attic and wondered if I would be interested in buying it off of him.

Turns out he was going to be in Columbus Friday to pick up his daughter from college and offered to bring it down for me to look at. He actully got it out of the box and sent me a few photos. Looked very clean and in fact it is a very clean piece of furniture.

Bought it for $100 bucks cash, no ebay or paypal just a handshake out in the Bob Evans parking lot.

Peter it was your aricle on the Beogram 1700 at Beocentral that prompted me to buy one. I have two. built like a tank comparerd to say a BG3300.

• 06-15-2010 1:45 AM In reply to

The write up of the 1700 on Beocentral will be by Tim - I do very few - mainly speakers or some of the more modern equipment. I do however agree completely with him in this case - the 1700 is simply superb and very good value.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)