in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-21-2011 9:29 AM by richardpike. 82 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2010 3:28 AM

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Advice on MacMini, BV7, Masterlink integration

Hi,

Grateful for advice on following - am shortly to get a BV7 Mk3 which I would like to add a Mac Mini as a media server. Plan to distribute to link rooms via masterlink. For reasons of aesthetics and probably noise I would like to have file storage away from the BV7 and ideally not to have my other iMac on all the time. Below are my thoughts. My questions are:

1) Will it work! - in particular the cabling between the BV7 and Mac Mini - has anyone done this particular setup and got pistures and sound distributed to link rooms?

2) Thoughts on EyeTV option

3) Will I need to spilt the aerial to go the BV7 as well as the MacMini for any reason?

4) Thoughts on the storage options - Drobo seems good?

5) Will probably need to upgrade my wireless router but can the latest cope with HD?

6) Do I need a high spec mac mini to cope with HD?

Sorry for all the questions but new to the HD/Media Centre world.

Thanks Dylan

BS3200 BV7 BV3 BL8000 BG4000 BL4500 PC2 BG5500 MX4002

• 06-08-2010 9:28 AM In reply to

Re: Advice on MacMini, BV7, Masterlink integration

Hi,

I think you should connect the Beoport to the Mac mini, not to the iMac any longer.

In that way, with LinkPlayer, you can control it using the PC key of the Beo remote, and control Plex, Eye TV, plus all the built in sources of LinkPlayer. The integration is better than using the PUC.

You also free the sound output socket on your imac, so you can hear you iMac sound through its own speakers.

P.

• 06-08-2010 9:49 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Thanks Phil,

I'd forgotten, stupidly, that the beoport would need to be connected to the computer running Linkplayer - will need to look into possibility of hanging it off the back of the BV7!

Dylan

• 06-08-2010 6:14 PM In reply to

Firstly MY thanks for your post - I had never thought of connecting the MacMini the way you have planned - one reason I had been leaning towards an ATV was the ability to plug composite.

Now in answer to the questions ....

dylan:

1) Will it work! - in particular the cabling between the BV7 and Mac Mini - has anyone done this particular setup and got pistures and sound distributed to link rooms?

I sincerely hope so ! I wish I could test without having to buy a MacMini, please let us know ....

2) Thoughts on EyeTV option

I use a Hybrid and love it, I use the aerial socket for SD/HD and analogue reception and its composite connection for my ATV recordings (or back capture of family movies)

3) Will I need to spilt the aerial to go the BV7 as well as the MacMini for any reason?

I recommend you do - I do this because it removes a dependency on the EyeTV and/or Apple always being available

Also in my set-up I split the aerial and feed one path to the BV directly for quality, and the other path to the B&O RF Amplifier

Are you planning to use the B&O RF Amplifier ? I found that it required two connections to the BV for reasons that I don't understand

4) Thoughts on the storage options - Drobo seems good?

I have only seen hood reports on it - a bit pricey for me at this stage

I use USB attached Maxtors and I am not happy with the way their disk spin-up and spin-down slows the Apple - basically they are very quiet and quiesce when not being used, but if I then do a save to the Apple's hard drive the OS activates the USB drives just in case they are the target of the save operation and so the whole system freezes for a few seconds

Same thing happens when PLEX starts - it is seeking the video libraries and everything freezes while the USB drives spin-up

I am thinking of going for Firewire interfaces next time round

5) Will probably need to upgrade my wireless router but can the latest cope with HD?

Mine is old (802.11g) and it copes fine with the Apple accessing content from Windows machines around the house, although to be honest I am never sure at any particular time whether it is coming via a LAN path or a WAN path

6) Do I need a high spec mac mini to cope with HD?

I would always favour speed and memory if I can afford it

Sooner or later something will slow the system down and it is always helpful to have power in reserve

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-08-2010 8:39 PM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Thanks for your thoughts Elephant.

I am currently using a RF amplifier coming out of my BV3 with no problems. I can't quite recall its connections and is in the roof space so difficult to check easily. Glad to hear you are pleased with the Hybrid - my only worry about it is that it is only a single tuner (and hence wondering about the Diversity) but guess I could use it to record and the native BV7 tuner to watch something else.

Still hoping to hear from someone who has tried the MacMini to BV7 connections that I've illustrated and managed to get masterlinked Video in a link room - I'd rather not buy a MacMini and it not work!

Dylan

• 06-09-2010 8:04 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Some time ago I had a similiar setup. Mac mini connected via HDMI (DVI - HDMI), composite, spdif, analog L-R and PUC (apple remote) to Beovision 7-40 MKIII, masterlinked to a BV6-22 and a BC6-26. For picture I used a HDMI splitter 1-4 (Gefen) and a HDMI-composite scaler (Gefen). For audio there was an optical-coax converter (Oehlbach) and a Philips surround headphone amp, which provided a digital loopthrough for the main system (PCM, DD5.1, DTS) and analog stereo for the linkrooms. Installation was a bit tricky, but after a while everything worked fine. I also installed a master/slave mains box, to disconnect converters, scalers, splitters, HDs... automatically from the mains, when the mini was in sleep mode.

Your setup uses a VGA-composite scaler, which means, the mac must be able to distribute DVI (digital) and VGA (analog) simultaneously. I doubt that it will work....(?)

For audio you will need analog stereo sound from the mini. The RF modulator can`t distribute digital audio. That`s why I used the headphone amp -  provides digital (surround) and analog (stereo) sound simultaneously.

I switched from the mini to the Tvix 6500, because 1- the mac couldn`t handle HD movies (MKV) and 2- I hate the apple remote! The Tvix could handle nearly every video format and navigation via PUC was quite satisfying. Tvix also can send digital AND analog audio without any additional hardware. It was connected to my airport extreme via ethernet, where I connected my mac formatted hard discs. Now it was possible to watch an HD movie on the BV7 and/or in linkrooms, and watch ANOTHER HD movie simultaneously and wireless on a macbook / Mac mini using VLC.

Next step was to solve the Blu Ray problem. I didn`t want the Beo BD player, because it can`t handle HD audio formats (DTS HD master), has no network connection and is slow and expensive..... So I found  an LG BD player, that can decode HD audio, can play HD movies via USB and network, is able to distribute digital and analog picture AND audio simultaneously, can be controlled via PUC and has a very fast start up - you can even use the BV7s electronic curtain - AND it`s quite cheap.

So I think, I have found "my" media solution for movies, for music I`m using a BS5. The Tvix is sold, Mac mini is now installed in my home office and used as what it really is: a computer (a really nice one!) but sorry, not a media server...

Hope this helps.

Stefan

• 06-09-2010 6:26 PM In reply to

stefan:
    Your setup uses a VGA-composite scaler, which means, the mac must be able to distribute DVI (digital) and VGA (analog) simultaneously. I doubt that it will work....(?)

that is the one worry I also have ...

stefan:
    1- the mac couldn`t handle HD movies (MKV)

My early 2009 MacBook does handle MKV HDs just fine ...

stefan:
    The Tvix is sold

Really ? Did the LG replace the TVIX ?  The TVIX I have seen in the B&O stores seems to display a Windows explorer type of interface on the screens, nothing like a true media centre look-and-feel ... what are your thoughts on this?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-09-2010 6:27 PM In reply to

dylan:
    my only worry about it is that it is only a single tuner

that's true and there have been the odd occasions where I have wanted to record TWO shows

Otherwise the dual viewing approach does work just fine

• 06-09-2010 8:22 PM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Thank you both.

As you can imagine Stefan, not what I wanted to hear but very useful information. I am still keen to pursue the MacMini as I like the integration and user interface that Linkplayer-Plex offers, however I will definitely not be purchasing one 'til I hear that someone has managed to get the simultaneous digital & analogue signals out of it. Looks like I need to also look at the other Media Centre options - I'd not heard of Tvix so shall start by investigating these. I currently have a Topfield PVR which works well except that I have constant frustrations with it failing to be able to access its external hard disc reliably (seems a common problem judging by their forum).

Thanks again

• 06-10-2010 6:37 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

elephant:

stefan:

that is the one worry I also have ...

stefan:
    1- the mac couldn`t handle HD movies (MKV)

My early 2009 MacBook does handle MKV HDs just fine ...

stefan:
    The Tvix is sold

Really ? Did the LG replace the TVIX ?  The TVIX I have seen in the B&O stores seems to display a Windows explorer type of interface on the screens, nothing like a true media centre look-and-feel ... what are your thoughts on this?

I can confirm that a solution using a Gefen HDMI splitter and HDMi - composite scaler works. Maybe there is another interesting product:

CM-388 converts HDMI to video and audio and got a loopthrough. http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/22722-converter-hdmi-video-audio-cm-388-cyp.html

But I have NOT tested this solution, So I can`t say whether it works...

My Macbook also handles MKV fine via VLC - even wireless streamed from my airport extreme station. But I tried to use it in the Front Row environment. Didn`t work....

I think the Tvix is a nice mediaplayer - just a BD drive is missing. I used Tvixie as user interface: http://www.tvixie.com/screenshots.php  - easy to use, looks good - reminds to Kaleidoscape interface...

Stefan

• 06-10-2010 7:04 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

dylan:

Thank you both.

As you can imagine Stefan, not what I wanted to hear but very useful information. I am still keen to pursue the MacMini as I like the integration and user interface that Linkplayer-Plex offers, however I will definitely not be purchasing one 'til I hear that someone has managed to get the simultaneous digital & analogue signals out of it. Looks like I need to also look at the other Media Centre options - I'd not heard of Tvix so shall start by investigating these. I currently have a Topfield PVR which works well except that I have constant frustrations with it failing to be able to access its external hard disc reliably (seems a common problem judging by their forum).

Thanks again

Sorry, but I was just talking about MY experience and MY requirements. At least I got it working. But I was just looking for a (HD) video solution, so I tried to find a simpler solution. As said for music, photo, web I got a BM1 and now a BS5. If you are looking for a media server that can handle all media using Linkplayer iphone/ipod touch I think it`s the best solution. Especially Phils Linkplayer is awesome! I don`t (yet) have a Beoport, but since I installed Linkplayer on my Macbook and Linkremote on my ipod touch )even works without BP!) I`m thinking about buying one for my office as a linkroom.

Maybe you are interested in this product: CM-388, Converter HDMI to video and audio - incl. loopthrough

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/22722-converter-hdmi-video-audio-cm-388-cyp.html

I have NOT tested this device, but maybe it`s what you are looking for....(?)

Stefan

• 06-10-2010 7:56 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

stefan:

Sorry, but I was just talking about MY experience and MY requirements. At least I got it working.

No need to apologise - your, Phil's and Elephant's replies are exactly what I need - informed comment.

stefan:

If you are looking for a media server that can handle all media using Linkplayer iphone/ipod touch I think it`s the best solution.

This is pretty much exactly what I want -  to be able to access all media, through an attractive interface (eg Plex), on my BV7 screen. I want to be able to do this using a Beo5 and, as a bonus my iPhone, and for there to be minimal peripherals attached directly to the BV7 and those which are to be hanging off the back without making it topple over! I want HD on the BV7 and to access video and audio in the link rooms. I also need PVR capability. If I get this I'll be happy and maybe the wife will understand.

stefan:

Maybe you are interested in this product: CM-388, Converter HDMI to video and audio - incl. loopthrough

Looks interesting - will explore further.

After your previous post I spent idle moments of the day looking at TVIX etc - does look good but think would need solution for audio etc and can't stretch to BS5 etc, my optimism on my original scheme has now been refreshed so will turn attention back in this direction!

thanks again

Dylan

• 06-10-2010 8:36 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

stefan:

Is this quote from the product literature the kiss of death in terms of using it with a Mac Mini?:

• When the signal from HDMI or DVI source is protected by HDCP (Highbandwidth Digital Content Protection), the HDMI or DVI display needs to support HDCP to be able to show picture, and there will be no analog video output.
    • Not compatible with HDCP source.

• 06-10-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

dylan:

stefan:

Is this quote from the product literature the kiss of death in terms of using it with a Mac Mini?:

• When the signal from HDMI or DVI source is protected by HDCP (Highbandwidth Digital Content Protection), the HDMI or DVI display needs to support HDCP to be able to show picture, and there will be no analog video output.
    • Not compatible with HDCP source.

No. It just tells us we need a HDCP supporting display (=BV7). And protected material will NOT be converted to analog video, which means picture on your BV7 but no picture in linkrooms when using HDCP. But usually there is no HDCP in MKV and avi....so should be no problem.

If you connect a Mac mini to the CM-388 you have to use a DVI - HDMI cable. This does not include audio. For audio you need to use the optical output, an optical to coax converter and there will be NO analog conversion through CM-388 (see user manual)..So the HD player should have an HDMI out with video and audio. Tvix got an HDMI out and can send digital and analog audio simultaneously. Do you have a surround setup, btw?

If this is not the case you can set audio out of the mini to analog and don`t need a converter.

The Tvix (I`m talking about the 6500 - I think there is a new one  - 6600? - with faster start up..) alsp has an audio- and photo section that I never used. Mine also got a DVB-T HD modul (single Tuner) that can record to disc - also timer recording). Though I don`t know if this will work in your region....

Stefan

• 06-11-2010 12:38 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Thanks again Stefan

stefan:

No. It just tells us we need a HDCP supporting display (=BV7). And protected material will NOT be converted to analog video, which means picture on your BV7 but no picture in linkrooms when using HDCP. But usually there is no HDCP in MKV and avi....so should be no problem.

Good news

stefan:

If you connect a Mac mini to the CM-388 you have to use a DVI - HDMI cable. This does not include audio. For audio you need to use the optical output, an optical to coax converter and there will be NO analog conversion through CM-388 (see user manual)..So the HD player should have an HDMI out with video and audio. Tvix got an HDMI out and can send digital and analog audio simultaneously. Do you have a surround setup, btw?

If this is not the case you can set audio out of the mini to analog and don`t need a converter.

I don't have surround currently but planning to in the future (Come to think of it don't have a BV7 or MacMini at the moment but at least the BV7 arrives soon)

If I can get the MacMIni working then I'd rather not have eg TVIx or a seperate PVR as well so I'm thinking of splitting the audio out from the MacMIni - one side goes to the CM388 the other gets converted eg by this to give the analog audio feed.

Below is my latest thoughts of what would be hanging off the back of the BV7 and the various connections:

Grateful for your thoughts

Dylan

• 06-11-2010 5:03 AM In reply to

BTW, not sure if you had seen my wiring set-up that has been posted previously

• 06-11-2010 5:57 AM In reply to

Dylan,

A couple of remarks:

- You'll need to get analog sound from the Mac mini to the Beoport as well as to the TV.

- The CM388 seems to have analog audio out, so you could take it from there, instead of using an external DAC for the sound.

P. 

• 06-11-2010 6:10 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Thanks Elephant for the wiring diagram - will take me a while to digest but looks interesting.

Phil, unfortunately, from the CM388 product info "Analog L/R audio outputs are not available when the audio input is Coaxial" so I can't see a way of avoidiing the DAC

D

• 06-11-2010 6:18 AM In reply to

Dylan, do you own that Mac mini already or you're going to buy it?

p.

• 06-11-2010 6:39 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

dylan:

Thanks again Stefan

stefan:

Good news

stefan:

I don't have surround currently but planning to in the future (Come to think of it don't have a BV7 or MacMini at the moment but at least the BV7 arrives soon)

If I can get the MacMIni working then I'd rather not have eg TVIx or a seperate PVR as well so I'm thinking of splitting the audio out from the MacMIni - one side goes to the CM388 the other gets converted eg by this to give the analog audio feed.

Below is my latest thoughts of what would be hanging off the back of the BV7 and the various connections:

Grateful for your thoughts

Dylan

Yes, should work. It`s similiar to my setup descibed above. But why connect the mini`s coax out to the CM-388 ? It`s just a passthrough, you can connect it directly to BV7-40. If you have a DAC that passes the coax through there is no splitter necessary. BTW the DAC should be able to detect automatically PCM, DD, DTS - passthrough and convert to analog stereo without delay (! - otherwise picture won`t be lipsync - is this the right word...?). The only product I found that fulfill these requirements is a little headphone surround amp from the Netherlands called Philips SBC HD 1502. The Gefen TV DD-2-AA seems to be a new product ( at least new to me....), converts DD and PCM to analog stereo - no passthrough, no DTS - but interesting/should work. If you want to distribute N.MUSIC via LinkPlayer you should split the analog out to the BV7 and Beoport - a simple Y-splitter should be fine.

Stefan

• 06-11-2010 6:54 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

elephant:

Great setup...

But do you have the MacBook picture on your link TVs ??

Stefan

• 06-11-2010 6:56 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

dylan:

Thanks Elephant for the wiring diagram - will take me a while to digest but looks interesting.

Phil, unfortunately, from the CM388 product info "Analog L/R audio outputs are not available when the audio input is Coaxial" so I can't see a way of avoidiing the DAC

D

Yes right. You will need a HDMI device to convert digital audio.

Stefan

• 06-12-2010 7:43 AM In reply to

elephant:

Thank you for posting - this is very helpful.

I wonder if you could explain the connections between the connections out of the RF Link Amp at 3-4-6 o'clock -> 2 into DVB-T and 1 into the BV8.

Also, where is your primary aerial input?

Thanks in advance.

AP

• 06-12-2010 8:43 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

PhilLondon:

Dylan, do you own that Mac mini already or you're going to buy it?

p.

Nope, not yet, BV7 doesn't even arrive for another couple of weeks! Am feeling more confident that I can get it to work so may well get one soon after the BV7 arrives. Credit where it's due - one of the main drivers for me getting it is the excellent Linkplayer interface - so please add my thanks to all the others on the site.

Dylan

• 06-12-2010 8:48 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

stefan:

Yes, should work. It`s similiar to my setup descibed above. But why connect the mini`s coax out to the CM-388 ? It`s just a passthrough, you can connect it directly to BV7-40.

Good point thanks - might save a few $$ on my cable/converter bill!

stefan:

BTW the DAC should be able to detect automatically PCM, DD, DTS - passthrough and convert to analog stereo without delay

Anyway of seeing this from technical spec of a DAC?

thanks

Page 1 of 4 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >