in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2011 9:26 AM by pinkflag. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2010 6:23 PM

what;s your favourite audio recording

In the same vain as my video thread,I'd  be interested to know what your favourite audio recordings are and the format they're in. To kick off and to prove a point mine are

French stuff from the 1950's and american musicals - Vinyl

Petula Clake / Ray Conniffe - Vinyl from 1960's

Demis Rousios/ Nane Mouskouri / Vicky Leandros / Abba - Vinyl 70's

U2 / Human League and Abba - CD 80's

Ministry of Sound 90's

Dance and MGMT 00;s MP3

Plus Jass and Classical  - any format!

Do we think they sound better on equipment from their era? - I do

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 06-06-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: what;s your favourite audio recording

There is a very popular thread in the lifestyle forum called "whats playing right now."

My favorite mediums/ formats are CDs and lossless files.

Favorite Bands:

Incubus
    Third Eye Blind
    Phoenix
    Owl City

The list would go on forever, but those are my top favs for the time being.

Evan

• 06-06-2010 7:54 PM In reply to

As far as a recording that's equally as satisfying to listen to as to promote the quality of the speakers it plays on would be Nick Lowe, The Convincer. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-06-2010 11:14 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Childhood memories hold a lot for me when it comes to audio recordings.  In fact, i link most songs with times, places and experiences.  Not sure if that's normal !! Laughing

The album that reflects happy times in my teens is Rod Stewarts 'Camouflage' album.  Lots of 80's riffs and big shoulder pads and i remember it blasting out of the rear speakers in my stepfathers Ford Granada 2.3 GLS..  It went against all my Ska and 2-Tone tastes of Madness, The Specials, Bad Manners and The Beat - but i loved it!

The album that reminds me of my 'formative years' of the late 80's / early 90's is Soul 2 Souls 'Vol. II: 1990 - A New Decade'  and Hue & Cry's 'Remote' - and also the single 'Kathleen' by Roachford.

This leads to my early 20's and my all time favourite song 'Summertime' by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.  Not what you'd call a cool and cultured song - but i only have to hear it and happy memories of a carefree life and my first love come flooding back.  Oh, and a 1988 Renault 5 GT Turbo Phase 2 in Pearl White - my pride and joy that had more coats of wax than a church candle..

My second favourite song is 'Everybody Loves the Sunshine' by Roy Ayers. Cool

My 'cool' songs (of sorts) is 'Come fly with me' and 'It was a very good year' by Frank Sinatra, and 'Hotel California' by the Eagles.  

Stereophonics 'Have a nice day' is one i can play on repeat for ages - as are quite a few Kraftwerk songs whilst i'm working. (?!!?!!)

My musical taste ranges from Ludacris to Mozart though - so i'm afraid i'm not as cool as some.. I do feel sometime that people bat as leftfield as possible on these threads to look impressive - but i'm afraid my tastes are pretty mainstream and simple - and i'm happy with that.

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-07-2010 7:59 AM In reply to

When I was a teen I discovered what would be my favorite style of music, let's say the FUNK and Funky-Soul, Funky-Disco music. Most of my favs are recorded on CD-R from LP, MP3 format or come from CD format.

Here are one of my favorites songs : Cool OLD SCHOOL RULES

- Firefly  "You Can Lead Me" 1984 : LP to Tape in 1992, then bought the CD version (1992)

- Delegation "Eau de vie" 1979 : includes my favorite song called "Blue Girl"

- Lotti G " What's It worth (if you wan't my love)" 1981

- Change "A lovers holiday" 1980

- Dayton "The sound of Music" 1983

- Starpoint " Don't Leave Me" : 1980

- Shalamar  "Make that Move", "Full Of Fire" 1982

- The Chocolate Jam & Co "This time" 1979

- The Crusaders (Those Southern Knights) "Keep On That same Old Feeling" 1976

- The Blackbyrds "Without Your Love" 1980

- George Duke "Shine On" 1982, "Reach Out" 1983

- Unlimited Touch "Yes I am Ready", "I Hear The Music in The Street" 1983

... and some more commercial labels such as EWF, K&C and the Sunshine Band, Kool & The Gang, Rah Band "Cloud Across the Moon" 1985

and so on.....

=> check the bentleyfunk blog for the Real Funky & Soul Musik

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 06-08-2010 4:42 AM In reply to

9 LEE:
    'It was a very good year' by Frank Sinatra

Always a favourite of mine because I associate it with a movie from my teens!

For me lyrics and the associations they bring are as important as the music itself ...

When I was seventeen
    It was a very good year
    It was a very good year for small town girls
    And soft summer nights
    We'd hide from the lights
    On the village green
    When I was seventeen

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-09-2010 5:05 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

9 LEE:

Childhood memories hold a lot for me when it comes to audio recordings.  In fact, i link most songs with times, places and experiences.  Not sure if that's normal !! Laughing

The album that reflects happy times in my teens is Rod Stewarts 'Camouflage' album.  Lots of 80's riffs and big shoulder pads and i remember it blasting out of the rear speakers in my stepfathers Ford Granada 2.3 GLS..  It went against all my Ska and 2-Tone tastes of Madness, The Specials, Bad Manners and The Beat - but i loved it!

The album that reminds me of my 'formative years' of the late 80's / early 90's is Soul 2 Souls 'Vol. II: 1990 - A New Decade'  and Hue & Cry's 'Remote' - and also the single 'Kathleen' by Roachford.

This leads to my early 20's and my all time favourite song 'Summertime' by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.  Not what you'd call a cool and cultured song - but i only have to hear it and happy memories of a carefree life and my first love come flooding back.  Oh, and a 1988 Renault 5 GT Turbo Phase 2 in Pearl White - my pride and joy that had more coats of wax than a church candle..

My second favourite song is 'Everybody Loves the Sunshine' by Roy Ayers. Cool

My 'cool' songs (of sorts) is 'Come fly with me' and 'It was a very good year' by Frank Sinatra, and 'Hotel California' by the Eagles.  

Stereophonics 'Have a nice day' is one i can play on repeat for ages - as are quite a few Kraftwerk songs whilst i'm working. (?!!?!!)

My musical taste ranges from Ludacris to Mozart though - so i'm afraid i'm not as cool as some.. I do feel sometime that people bat as leftfield as possible on these threads to look impressive - but i'm afraid my tastes are pretty mainstream and simple - and i'm happy with that.

I would have thought the Beoworld Album Vol. 1. might have been up there!

The Sun Always Shines on TV - A-ha

This Time - The Verve

Amsterdam - Coldplay

A Horse with No Name - America

A New England - Kirsty MacColl

Life On Mars? - David Bowie

Another Horsedreamer's Blues - Counting Crows

F.E.A.R - Ian Brown

Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack

Keep On Movin' - Soul II Soul

Paint It, Black - The Rolling Stones

Song to the Siren - Tim Buckley

She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult

The Wexford Carol - Derek Bell and others

Arrival - ABBA

The Mason's Apron (Instrumental) - The Dubliners

Hoppipolla - Sigur Rós

Warszawa - David Bowie

So What - Miles Davis

Amused to Death - Roger Waters

Love Spreads - The Stone Roses

Bullet with Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins

On the Turning Away - Pink Floyd

Low Symphony: Movement III - Philip Glass Ensemble 

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-09-2010 5:23 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Always a good topic this!  Take as look here

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-28-2010 4:15 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

John Martyn - Solid Air is a fantastic album, loads of depth and dynamics. Beautifully recorded and his voice is really distinctive.

100% recommended. If your speakers can do the whole 'front-to-back' thing (proper 3-dimensional imaging), then you'll hear it with Solid Air...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-30-2010 9:13 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

A few weeks ago I ripped the album Lungs by Florence + The Machine.

Incredible.

My favorite track has to be Hurricane Dunk.

In three weeks I have listened to Hurricane Drunk 70 times!

Intoxicating Laughing

Evan

• 12-01-2010 5:04 AM In reply to

GuyHui :

When I was a teen I discovered what would be my favorite style of music, let's say the FUNK and Funky-Soul, Funky-Disco music. Most of my favs are recorded on CD-R from LP, MP3 format or come from CD format.

- Firefly  "You Can Lead Me" 1984 : LP to Tape in 1992, then bought the CD version (1992)

... and some more commercial labels such as EWF, K&C and the Sunshine Band, Kool & The Gang, Rah Band "Cloud Across the Moon" 1985

and so on.....

Guy, you have great taste. I can recommend BB&Q Band, Mtume, High Fashion and Dazz Band if you like that Jacques Petrus sound!

Also, for modern music that is heavily influenced by this sound I can recommend Bastien with his album "IV", and Opolopo "Voltage Controlled Feelings"

On a slightly different note, two of my favourite recordings are both on vinyl and are:

Donald Fagen - "The Nightfly"

Return to Forever - "Romantic Warrior"

• 12-01-2010 5:47 AM In reply to

9 LEE:

An excellent choice !

Does this man (Lee) have no limits !!

edit:

damn, now I know I really am loosing it ... I had already replied on the 8th of June to Lee's post 

grrrrr

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-01-2010 8:29 AM In reply to

Llewelyn:

GuyHui :

and so on.....

Guy, you have great taste. I can recommend BB&Q Band, Mtume, High Fashion and Dazz Band if you like that Jacques Petrus sound!

Also, for modern music that is heavily influenced by this sound I can recommend Bastien with his album "IV", and Opolopo "Voltage Controlled Feelings"

On a slightly different note, two of my favourite recordings are both on vinyl and are:

Donald Fagen - "The Nightfly"

Return to Forever - "Romantic Warrior"

Hi, you have also the Bar-Keys with their "Anticipation, Shine, Shut the Funk Up" songs, as other groups that are really GOOD :

- Hi-Five, Klique, Klymaxx, Kwick, Lake Side (great), Mass Production, Ozone, Thomas McClary, Rufus, Chemise, Empress, a Taste Of Honey, Rick James, Mikki and soo on....

....like Faze-O, Al Jarreau, BT Express, Central Line, Charades, Cheryl Lynn (disco), Chic, Con Funk shun, Cool Runners, David Emmanuel, Gene Van Buren, George Aaron, George Duke, Hi-Tension, Imagination, Ingram, New Jersey Connection, Photoglo, Pino d'Angio, Atkins, Positive Force, Sayonara, Shakatak, Superior Movement, Surface, Unique........Big Smile

BTw, you can check this channel, created by a FAn of the True FUNKY SOUL Music :

- http://www.wat.tv/funkychic62

Cheers,

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 12-01-2010 9:10 AM In reply to

Thanks for the link! I love most of those artists, the others I shall have to check out!

Big fan of Rick James, Con Funk Shun, Glenn Jones, Shock!, Lillo Thomas, Lakeside, SOS Band, Cameo, Gap Band, Jones Girls,  etc! Not forgetting Prince of course!

I thought I was the only one who liked this kind of stuff!

• 12-01-2010 9:50 AM In reply to

Hi !

Cameo, SOS Band (Studio 54...) are cool though...

I might discover Shock!, Lillo Thomas & Glenn Jones !

Here is my gift : everything is shared for the true fans of funky musik like you Big Smile

- http://bentleyfunk-5.blogspot.com/

- http://soulyourfunk.blogspot.com/

- http://bentleyfunknew4.blogspot.com/2010/05/welcome-to-bentleyfunk-paradise-2010.html

Cheers,

• 12-02-2010 6:42 PM In reply to

Thanks for the links Guy! I'll definitely check them out :)

If you don't listen to it already, you should check out 'generation disco funk' which is a French internet radio station which plays all the stuff we love 24/7!

www.generationdiscofunk.com

:D :D

• 12-05-2010 9:06 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Much like you Lee, I listen to a lot. However, I dont think I'm cool enough for Ludacris Laughing It also seems that I can only remember a car to match with the songs!

After this thread popped up recently I began thinking about it more and taking it a little more seriously. I found a few songs that take me back to my even youthier days in high school. Certain sounds take me back to certain seasons.

In the winter of '07 I remember sort of discovering Incubus. One of my all time favorites, of any band, has to be "Stellar." Driving to school I listened to Incubus every morning. I had a tuxedo black '06 Accord sedan with a pretty lame system in it but I have some great memories and the snow is falling just as it was then now its Incubus 'til spring!

One that really grabbed me was the album "A Collection"  by Third Eye Blind, a greatest hits. This CD came with tickets to the local 3EB concert in May of '08 for my birthday. More specifically I remember blasting the song "Crystal Baller" in my Rallye Red '07 Civic coupe with the windows down and just changing through the gears! A great feel-good song for warm weather, wonderful for driving. Life was good and I knew it. Cool

Another Incubus golden oldie is "Dig," probably my favorite song (period). Laughing Great anytime of the year really, but it would be a million times better if I could be back in my 5 speed Civic flying through the gears and jamming again. 

To me this all feels like its from ages ago, but really only two or three years. Somehow recently, I've become very nostalgic.Indifferent

Lately I've gained an appreciation for much more creative music, but still mainstream. Florence & The Machine, Mumford and Sons and other more natural artists. Presently I'm driving a '10 Belieze Blue Accord coupe monster and having a great time annoying other motorists with my music and singing. Its not as fun as the Civic but I'm sure once its gone I will remember it just as fondly.

Evan

• 12-10-2010 7:13 AM In reply to

My single favorite recording must be, 

Jacques Loussier, The Bach Book, Brandenburg Concerto nr5 in D major - 1 allegro.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-14-2010 4:14 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm going to add Neil Young's 'Harvest' into my list - I've been getting into it in the last week and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Brilliant album!!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-14-2010 11:14 AM In reply to

Alex:

I'm going to add Neil Young's 'Harvest' into my list - I've been getting into it in the last week and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Brilliant album!!

'Don't let it Bring you Down' is one of the best tracks ever IMO. There's a live version on YouTube somewhere from Top of the Pops in the 70s that's worth checking out.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 12-29-2010 6:42 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Last of the Summer Wine Country, Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 195
    • Gold Member

Ludovico Einaudi - Divenire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvglWAHDak

If you enjoy this:

Try: Einaudi - Primavera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4fO-f33K0

Einaudi - Nightbook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3wgiaOOvA

Absolutely stunning music!!!

Beosound 8, Beotalk 1100, Beocom 4, A8 Headphones, Form 2 Headphones, Apple iPhone 4S, iPod Classic, iPad 1, Sky+ HD, Sony Playstation 3, Jacob Jensen T10, Lutron Rania IR Dual Dimmer/ Accesory dimmer, B+O A9 Keyring (SOLD), Beolit 600 (SOLD), Apple Airport Express, Beo5

• 12-30-2010 12:35 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Oscar Peterson: We get requests Smile

• 01-01-2011 7:12 PM In reply to

Anything from the Verve's 'A Northern Soul' album.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-04-2011 12:46 AM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

My all time Favourite Album would be Sarah McLachlan's 1991 sophmore effort, Solace.

It's not the most brilliant sounding work from an audiophile standpoint, but was reissued and remastered by Classic Records on 180g vinyl a few years back, much to my immense pleasure!  Sarah's voice is at it's best here, and her songwriting had matured exponentially over her first album, but was still naive enough to be more cryptic than her later, more straighforward songs.

My second favourite album, a close second, is Techno-Animal's Re-Entry.  Re-Entry is a techno ambient industrial nightmarish soundscape unlike anything else that has ever been or will ever be created.  It's the singularly most interesting thing anyone can ever hear.  I beleive it was only issued on a double CD and is rather hard to find now.  If you like the feeling of hardcore hallucinogenics, but don't want to take them, this is the album for you!

Other favourite listens are: Sade Diamond Life (which is what I picture people listening to when I think of 80's B&O) & Love Deluxe, Traveling Wilburys first album (also reissued on heavy vinyl), Led Zepplin's Mothership collection & Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville remaster.

mike

Since 1977

• 01-25-2011 8:05 PM In reply to

Tron legacy soundtrak by Daft Punk

Tributes to glass, kubrick, garcia, hermann and others.

Terrific and highly energizing!

Sounds great on my Century!
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >