in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-10-2010 10:27 AM by vikinger. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2010 1:41 AM

B & O 3D TV

I just have seen a spot from the new Samsung 3D TV's and was wondering when B&O will use one of Samsung's new C8780 Displays available in 40, 46 and 55 inches? Maybe in the new expected BV 10-55 or in a BV 10-46 MK II?

• 06-06-2010 3:37 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Re: B & O 3D TV

It's quite optimistic. I would say they will introduce it in a year or so!!!!!!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 06-06-2010 3:49 AM In reply to

I can't understand why B&O is so often behind the time at the moment. Should we now buy the 10-46 with the current display and then changing it next year for the new Samsung 3D display which is then already one year old Confused It seems as the days when B&O was ahead of time are gone for the moment....

• 06-06-2010 3:56 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

LifeStyle:

I can't understand why B&O is so often behind the time at the moment...

I've only been buying B&O kit for the last 9-10 years, but they've always been this way, and that's a long time in electronics. In fact, wasn't the ex-CEO quoted saying that B&O's philsophy was to used "tried and tested" components within their TVs (read: we're always going to be behind whilst we do our own testing)?

On a sidenote, I assume B&O realise most of their target audience are *not* seeking a 3D TV. Most B&O customers want the best standard audio/visual experience (many B&O customers do not have HD, never mind 3D) and ease-of-use.

• 06-06-2010 4:53 AM In reply to

When HD came out B&O was quite "fast" with integrating it into the BV-7 wasn't they? I think it was quite the same with the Samsung LED panels, it didn't take long from the first Samsung LED TV's to the BV-10. I don't think it is necessary testing all the TV panels (HD, LED, 3D) over years in marked contrast to a suitable software and hardware solution for digital music, ipod integration ect. The BS5/BM5 and it's software is obviously the complete opposite of the B&O "ease-to-use" concept and I wonder else who "tried and tested" the Beocom 5....

• 06-06-2010 5:36 AM In reply to

• glennp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-20-2008
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

I saw a B & O document that stated, they would wait about 5 years or so, as 3D is still 1st generation as as such is not proven or stable enough yet.

• 06-06-2010 5:55 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

glennp:

I saw a B & O document that stated, they would wait about 5 years or so, as 3D is still 1st generation as as such is not proven or stable enough yet.

A little like the Blu-ray situation. I read over the weekend that hologram TV will quickly replace 3D and that 3D in the home is just a shot-term gimmick.

• 06-06-2010 6:33 AM In reply to

What is hologram TV?

• 06-06-2010 8:38 AM In reply to

What is the point in having a 3D TV, if there are no 3D movies?Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 06-06-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

LifeStyle:

What is hologram TV?

Surely it's quicker to run a Google search than wait for a reply? :)

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article7140259.ece

• 06-06-2010 10:02 AM In reply to

Are you sure a BV 10-55 is epected?

I was about ordering a 46" model and may be tempted to way for it.

Cheers, Marc.

• 06-06-2010 10:39 AM In reply to

I am not sure but someone claimed about two weeks ago there will be (a) bigger version(s) of the BV 10 aproximately 50" but as there are no 50 inch panels from samsung another one claimed it would be 55".

I am also about ordering a 46" model therefore I asked about the 3D panels. What could be more annoying than buying a 46" in the coming weeks and in let's say 3 months there is a 10-55 maybe also with 3D....?

• 06-06-2010 11:35 AM In reply to

The same point as paying for a DVB-HD tuner for UK models when you can't use them - wait 3 to 6 months, 3D movies will be commonplace.  My early experiences of it are fantastic (asides from an intermittent glitch with the viewing glasses!)  

• 06-06-2010 11:41 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

I think we ought to be fair to B&O in this day and age for being behind the times (though frustrating). Technological progress is at a pace which is much more difficult to keep up with. I think 10 years ago, it was a key mantra for B&O to "wait until a technology was established" before jumping in, but nowadays, new technologies are being developed and adapted into the mainstream at a break-neck pace. -- Far too quickly for a patient company with products that remain in production for decades (ie. Beosound 9000).

The philosophy at B&O need to change if they want to deliver what consumers want. Quality in material & design are things which B&O can take time in developing. On the other hand the kinds of quality/compatibility in software & components need to change to allow for the design and materials [quickly] adaptable to the changing standards / expectations. THAT, my friends, is a paradigm shift which is much more difficult to enable.
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 06-06-2010 12:37 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Does anyone think A Beovision 10 in 55 inch form might be too big? (especially if they keep it in proportion with the 10-40+46). It would take up a lot of space.

Evan

• 06-06-2010 1:21 PM In reply to

question is will  3 d take off, varous companies pushing i agree, but all the opticians are saying as i understand it most of us would not get the benefit of it anyway

so i wonder i remember the fanfare in the cinemas when 3 d launched   will be the thing of the future this is the way forward  didnt last just died a death

so will be interesting

malcolm

• 06-06-2010 1:24 PM In reply to

question is will  3 d take off

I think Not!!

Maybe a poll will give us a the answer.

• 06-06-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

With something like 3D tv, we're not talking about a fundamental technology in the sense that we discuss contrast ratio or pixel count. We're talking about a feature. There are many features which we did not adopt. SACD. Minidisk. Magic-Fingers. All these came and went and we were stronger for not adopting niche features that would have taken financial resources to develop/incorporate that would never have been recovered in the sale of the products. 

3D has been popping its head out for decades now and from what I've seen in both available products and demonstrations, it's ill-suited to home use. I believe I've mentioned it before, but when a younger client demanded 3D, I ended up selling him a Samsung model. When I rang up the glasses for his family I grinned to myself as to why electronics manufacturers are so eager to propagate this technology especially. 6 pairs of active glasses were only a few dollars less than the TV & blu-ray player. 

If 3D technology emerges such that all viewers can see a benefit regardless of optical deficiency (I personally have trouble seeing the 3D effect without headaches), glasses aren't required, there are no effects on the overall picture quality, and effect is not diminished by using a sub-100" screen then I think the benefit will be there for the discriminating client. At this point, however, it's targeted at adolescents and adult-adolescents. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-06-2010 2:40 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

... cold not agree more with TripEnglish. 
    In my view, let the entire "food chain" from producers to TV stations achieve full HD coverage in all their programs (may take a while). Probably more important than running after the next "next thing" called 3D.

• 06-06-2010 3:09 PM In reply to

I think the best way to go 3d in the home is by a Projector as the screen size wil be  reasonable size for 3d.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 06-06-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

• Totto
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Tårnåsen, Norway
    • Posts 3
    • Founder

I wonder what a pair of B&O 3D glasses would look like? Maybe made of titanium? And cost 600 euro?

Big Smile

• 06-06-2010 5:12 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Having watched Avatar in a cinema in 3D, and now having bought the DVD watch it in bulk standard HD i have to say i have no intention of buying a 3D tv and it's associated glasses.

The film although overhyped and a little short of a story line is still a marvel to watch, and all the better for not having to wear those glasses for 2 hours.

Until somebody can make 3D tv that can be just watched like a hologram i see no future in 3D and B&O would be better investing their relatively small R&D budget elsewhere. Make an affordable Ipod dock that every proffesional would want on heir desk.....bush there's much more for the R&D budget to engineer holographic screens and B&O are back ahead and on top.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 06-06-2010 6:02 PM In reply to

I have to say that I think its more appropriate for a projector which is something I am considering as a way of saving/complementing my ageing avant 32 - but then again how much of what is produced is worthy of the content.

Just how much use are these TVs going to get?. How many of us still listen to Vinyl and marvel at the analogue sound compared to CD/MP3? How many of us are still going to watch old classic films that aren't in 3D or HD? How many VHS tapes do people have that aren't on DVD or blueray and seriously how often do we watch them?

Surely, at some point, the content must win? Isn't that the point? Isn't that what its all about? not new fangled technology, but just the best way of enjoying a film and listening to music? And interacting with the technology and the products being the best designed wether or not they be switched off or on?

I am totally agreeing with Trip on this, with the cavaet that when the content is there then the audience will be too. Bang and Olufsen can't base a stratgey on a fad film called Avatar no matter how good it is - it's why we don't buy Sony or shop at Comet!

Maybe a good thread would be "whats your favourite film?" and lets see how many of us watch it in HD, 3D or Widescreen.

Andrew

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 06-06-2010 7:51 PM In reply to

I appreciate those who see reason on this. I agree completely with Andrew that content, not technology, has to lead the way on this. As Roger Ebert humorously put it, "3D is a waste of a perfectly good dimension." 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-07-2010 4:45 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Chrisreunion:
    What is the point in having a 3D TV, if there are no 3D movies?Hmm

Yeah and I heard when they were new, what's the point of having a DVD player if there are no DVD movies.  I think upon release there were like 5 movies. :-)

Give it some time. 

BTW CNet didn't like the Samsung 3D.  I'm waiting to see the Panasonic 3D as they are using plasma (where all others are LCD).  I wonder if B&O will source a different manufacturers panel in this instance and then transform it in to something really special.  

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >