in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-07-2010 5:03 AM by kai. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2010 6:51 PM

• kai
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-16-2008
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Re Install Of Bang & Olufsen

Hi guys

Would appreicate others advice here, I have been asked to re install B/O system, they will also be wiring for telephone and internet, I was thinking of wiring it with cat 6 cable for everything, is this sufficent, I know B/O use cat 7, I think that is overkill, they will also be changing there windows computer to a mac, do I need to just download the Beo software for the mac, and put in the password and username from the Prev windows install, to e ale to use the Besound 5??

Regards

Kai

• 06-04-2010 12:27 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Re: Re Install Of Bang & Olufsen

HI Kai, It depends on what kind of set up you want to have!! Don't confuse Masterlink with ethernet. It's different, however now with ML Gateway things change. You should consider about the future of your setup. BR Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 06-04-2010 1:42 PM In reply to

Hi Kai,

I do have a Masterlink network based on CAT5 Cables in my house. This works perfect with a setup of BV8-40 and BS3200 with BL3 in Mainroom, iMac with Beoport and BL6000 in office room and BL2000 in my saunarium.

The only thing I needed to take care is to have a passive network without any electronics (Router, Switch,...). For music you do not need a CAT7 just a 8 wire CAT5e or Cat6.

Heribert

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 06-04-2010 2:29 PM In reply to

Heribert:

The only thing I needed to take care is to have a passive network without any electronics (Router, Switch,...). For music you do not need a CAT7 just a 8 wire CAT5e or Cat6.

Sure you don't now, but the next generation of Masterlink (or whatever it will be called) requires CAT7 class F cables, and your customer won't be too happy to have only CAT5 or 6 inside the walls when that happens. How much would you actually save using just CAT6, compared to the cost of the entire renovation project or whatever is underway?

-mika

• 06-04-2010 2:40 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Never tested myself, I can imagine that, on short distances, a Cat 5 Type S/UTP (Screened / Unshielded Twisted
    Pair) or even an U/UTP (Unshielded / Unshielded Twisted Pair) might be sufficient to replace ML-cables (not PL-Cables). 

But, if it's a very small "audio only" system and there are no plans to add/change components for a long time - 
    installing a proven ML could still be a simple alternative!

If this is not the case:

ONLY a CAT7 Cable Type S/FTP (Screened + Foiled Twisted Pair = separately foil-shielded twisted pairs and an
    additional screenning of the complete cable) will be able to fulfill today's requierements in (analog) ML and PL
    networks and will be able to offer sufficient bandwidth for future (digital) apps like streaming HD-video.

For sure, as a replacment for today's ML/PL a CAT5 or CAT6 of the same (S/FTP) type will work as well as a Cat7
    but will hardly, if at all, be cheaper than CAT7 - you have to compare like with like !!

Even if you'll save a little bit of mony you surely will be loosing resources needed in the future.

PS:
    Having installed miles/kilometers of ML /PL /CAT cables ... the amount for the
    cables by meter was always a fraction of the total costs of the installation.

!! Don't shoot yourself in the foot !!

• 06-06-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

• sloth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Bang & Olufsen do use Cat 7 because of the amount of data that is needed in a link system. Cat 5 and Cat 6 cannot carry enough information. I have been to courses with Bang & Olufsen and heard every arguement as to why Cat 6 or 5 should work but the final answer was do not use anything less than 7. Alot of what you asking depens on the kind of installation you will be doing and how you will be using these cables.

The best thing you can do is contact your local dealer and ask him for some information on how to wire the house. I dont mind people coming in to see me and talking about what they can do. But as soon as someone says i have Cat 5 or 6 then all i can say to them is that at least there are some draw cords in the walls.

Its best to get it right now rather than in 6-12 months them asking for something else and the wiring not having the capabilities. Hope this helps

• 06-07-2010 5:03 AM In reply to

• kai
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-16-2008
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Guys

Thanks for the info, I will update you once the customer had made his decision

Kai

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)