in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-02-2010 8:07 AM by Ehlerz. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2010 4:41 AM

Masterlink balance

I have two TV's linked together like so:

TV->Junction box->masterlink wallplate.

There are then masterlink wallplates in two other rooms.  The intermediate room is not yet used, other than to daisy-chain the cabling.

The final masterlink wallplate has a standard cable plugged in to a BC6 with BL6000s.

My problem - I've noticed that the right channel is quieter than the left (e.g. I play a CD via MasterLink using the DVD player, and the same CD locally, and the balance shifts noticably to the left via ML).

The quality of sound through the right channel is still fine though, which is odd to me.  I would have thought a dodgy connection adding extra resistance would not affect the voltage, as there shouldn't really be any appreciable current flowing through the cable to cause a voltage drop.  Isn't the input impedance very high?

Any ideas on how to easily test this to work out which of the 4 joins is at fault?

• 06-03-2010 8:43 AM In reply to

Re: Masterlink balance

Masterlink is distributed arround in a Balanced Audio  format, and if one "leg" of the channel is not connected, then the signal will be attenuated by 6db, as receiving end will pick up the earth connection but only one "leg" of the channel's audio signal.

Try checking the connections for continuity to the right channel.

• 06-03-2010 9:16 AM In reply to

That's helpful - I hadn't realised that it would still operate with one cable disconnected!

I recently replaced the faceplate in the middle, so I'll reterminate that and see if it improves. 

Thanks for your help.

• 06-03-2010 2:22 PM In reply to

Hi all

Actually i also experience this issue after upgrading my BS3 software. Do you own a BS3 tv, and have you recently updated your tv to 8.12a?

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 06-03-2010 7:35 PM In reply to

Ehlerz:
    Actually i also experience this issue after upgrading my BS3 software. Do you own a BS3 tv, and have you recently updated your tv to 8.12a?

Interestingly, yes  and yes.  BV7-40 Mk3, updated less than 2 weeks ago to 8.12a.

I confess I didn't notice whether or not there was a balance issue with the old software or whether there was an issue before I changed the faceplate - as I don't yet own an audiomaster, the majority of sources I listen to are mono over RF rather than stereo ML by default.  I onlt noticed after rewiring and testing to see if the connections were ok.

Anyone else have the same issue with 8.12a?

• 06-04-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

csmager:

Ehlerz:

Interestingly, yes  and yes.  BV7-40 Mk3, updated less than 2 weeks ago to 8.12a.

I confess I didn't notice whether or not there was a balance issue with the old software or whether there was an issue before I changed the faceplate - as I don't yet own an audiomaster, the majority of sources I listen to are mono over RF rather than stereo ML by default.  I onlt noticed after rewiring and testing to see if the connections were ok.

Anyone else have the same issue with 8.12a?

I see, I did notice that there was no balanceissues with the older SW. When playing cd´s or music through AUX on my BS3000 connected to BV 7 MK IV with ML there is a very noticeable difference on the right channel. When playing music on my Mac mini connected directly to BV 7 with HDMI, there is no issue...

This it to weird to be a coincidence..

If anyone else experience this after upgrading, please keep us posted..

/ehlerz

• 10-01-2010 7:16 PM In reply to

I have the same issue. Do you know if this has been fixed with a newer firmware? 

• 10-02-2010 4:51 AM In reply to

I think Ehlerz discovered that his problem was down to a dodgy connection, and I've yet to bother working out if mine's the same.  I had just replaced an ML socket when I noticed the problem, so it's more than possible.

• 10-02-2010 8:07 AM In reply to

csmager:

I think Ehlerz discovered that his problem was down to a dodgy connection, and I've yet to bother working out if mine's the same.  I had just replaced an ML socket when I noticed the problem, so it's more than possible.

Thats correct, my issue was solved by refitting the ML wires in my junctionbox.

/Ehlerz

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)