in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-06-2010 1:02 PM by JontyL. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-31-2010 9:51 AM

• harrykym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-04-2008
    • Rossendale
    • Posts 86
    • Bronze Member

which? Free View Box for Avant??

Hi Beoworld,

Does anyone have any suggestions which free view box I can use with my Avant

28” DVD., STB Controller - S.W. 3.4

Many thanks

James

BS-3, BS-1, BS-OVERTURE, AVANT-28"RF, AVANT-28" DVD, AVANT 32" RF, 3xBEO-4, LC-1, 4xBEOCOM-6000, BEOCOM-2, A9 KEYRING, DVD1, Beosystem 10, BEOCOM 3, BEOLAB 2500, BEOSOUND CENTURY, BEOLIT 707

• 05-31-2010 10:16 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: which? Free View Box for Avant??

James, can you not just bring up a list on screen of what the STB can control. On my Avant 28, and BV3-32 I can do this. It comes up when you setup the connections in the menu.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-31-2010 5:15 PM In reply to

• harrykym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-04-2008
    • Rossendale
    • Posts 86
    • Bronze Member

yeah i can but what is the best free-view box??

BS-3, BS-1, BS-OVERTURE, AVANT-28"RF, AVANT-28" DVD, AVANT 32" RF, 3xBEO-4, LC-1, 4xBEOCOM-6000, BEOCOM-2, A9 KEYRING, DVD1, Beosystem 10, BEOCOM 3, BEOLAB 2500, BEOSOUND CENTURY, BEOLIT 707

• 05-31-2010 6:21 PM In reply to

Try SKY+ HD i far nicer set up for a wonderful Avant. Freeview is the most ghastly way to receive digital tv  hardly any channels and constant reception problems. Maybe TV through an aerial was OK in the 1960s but come on guys...

• 06-01-2010 3:11 AM In reply to

sky does interface very nicely with the beo4 too , when it works..

the only problem is the sky box is badly made noisy unreliable garbage , the sky interface is sub fisher price and the crash-a-tronic sky software makes windoze 95 look like snow leopard

apart from that .. brilliant

• 06-02-2010 4:33 PM In reply to

• harrykym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-04-2008
    • Rossendale
    • Posts 86
    • Bronze Member

hi

I have sky+ using its magic eye but i cant use the beo 4 to control it as the input is tv and not sat, so i just wanted to add a box i can use with my Beo 4 any ideas?

• 06-03-2010 8:14 AM In reply to

You need to connect your sky+ box to one of the scart sockets on the back and then set that through the sources menue to SAT and then choose SKY+ from the list - fix the eye to the sky box and then you will be able to control SKY+ thouigh your Beo4 - I have this setup and it integrates perfectly

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 06-04-2010 1:30 PM In reply to

• harrykym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-04-2008
    • Rossendale
    • Posts 86
    • Bronze Member

hi how do you set up coax cable to scart? 

but does anyone use a freeview box?

• 06-05-2010 10:28 AM In reply to

harrykym:

hi how do you set up coax cable to scart? 

but does anyone use a freeview box?

Hi James,

I use a couple of Panasonic TU20/30 [??] freeview boxes for an Avant and BV5. The freeview box was not on the STB controller list for the BV5 (made 2002) so I used an HDR1 with its own STB chip as the interface. The Avant had the Panasonic on its list (made 2005). If you have an early 28 Avant then you may find the same issue as with my BV5- no freeview listed (but the early ITV digital box may be there- though probably not upgradeable/retunable to the new freeview bands.) The Panasonic box is the one that was generally recommended by B&O dealers. Very small and neat and easy to conceal behind the TV.  Tendency to lock-up occasionally necessitating the need to remove the power cable for a few seconds. Also has a tendency for lip-synch to drift out on some channels (quickly resolved by changing to the next channel and then switching back. Overall the Panasonic is a good performer and fairly reliable box that retuned to the new digital bands (NW region) without too much difficulty. If you buy one secondhand that's been disconnected for some time then you may have to watch out for two issues: a previous owner may have used a password which you will need (default 0000 I think), and the over-air software updates can be rather irregular so you could be faced with having a box that does not retune properly or puts the channels into random order in the EPG until it picks-up the software update.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-05-2010 10:32 AM In reply to

I've sent a reply re the Panasonic freeview box but this seems to have offended the Moderation system.........watch this space for an eventual reply (or the space above if the reply eventually appears where it was first intended to be posted!)

Graham

• 06-06-2010 8:07 AM In reply to

vikinger:

I've sent a reply re the Panasonic freeview box but this seems to have offended the Moderation system.........watch this space for an eventual reply (or the space above if the reply eventually appears where it was first intended to be posted!)

Graham

The moderated reply  has now arrived (above.) Obviously too many mentions of Panasonic!

• 06-06-2010 9:05 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Does anyone have a STB compatible list, apart from the one on the screen?

p.s. I use a Pace SKY+ box which works perfectly but plan on adding a Freeview box too.

• 06-06-2010 1:02 PM In reply to

Hi there;

I've got a Beocenter 1 and have mated it with a Topfield PVR 5800 which can understand instructions from my Beo4 via the IR sensor or something, which attaches over the remote receiver on the Topfield box.   The Topfield has 250GB hard disc drive too.  It's great!  REALLY user friendly.  Highly recommended chum.  You need an appropriate STB controller in the Avant, for which I'm afraid I am not conversant.  BUT for a freeview box recommendation, which is what you asked about, the Topfield is brilliant!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)