in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-24-2010 2:42 AM by RickM. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2010 7:10 PM

• RickM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

TX2 turntable with 180 gram albums

While playing a 180 gram album there sometimes is a scraping sound during the last inch or so of the album.  This continues even after raising the arm but stops after the arm returns a bit toward the album's outer edge.  It seems to be the platter hitting something underneath due to the much heavier album.  Can anyone help me solve this problem?

• 05-30-2010 11:06 PM In reply to

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Re: TX2 turntable with 180 gram albums

Hi Rick,

It sounds like the suspension on your RX2 just needs to be adjusted (raised) slightly.  I've "played" with the suspension on the RX2 before, but it has been sometime ago.  I'm sure someone on here with more experience with adjusting the suspension could help you out with this.  I don't believe it is that difficult to adjust.  If you are a silver or Gold member, you should be able to access the service manual for the turntable.

• 05-31-2010 6:28 AM In reply to

You are right, I had this problem with a BG3000 tangential which is in essence exactly the same turntable. The moving of the carriage to the middle affects the balance of the platter and at the end of the record this makes the platter scrape the outside of the machine, especially with heavy LP's. Adjust/play with the suspension setting with the the carriage moved manually to the middle. Check if it gets better by spinning the platter with your hand. Play around and you will easily find a setting that works!

Laughing

• 06-10-2010 5:51 PM In reply to

• RickM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

I just got your message today.  Thanks for responding.  I thought I'd get an email letting me know someone had responded but just happened to check today anyway.  Thanks but I'm not a silver or gold member.  I have my original manual but no info on suspension adjustments.  If anyone can give me specific instructions I'll try to work on it.

• 06-10-2010 5:55 PM In reply to

• RickM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for helping.  I just saw your response today and I apologize for my lateness but I was expecting an email saying I had a response.  If you could give me some instructions on how to adjust I'd give it a whirl.  It's a shame the platter can't handle the extra weight.  I'm not a tech so please give as detailed a description as possible.

• 06-11-2010 12:32 AM In reply to

Hi: I have the TX2. I purchased it second-hand and although in beautiful condition, the tone arm assembly was rubbing against the underside of the cover.

I believe that the previous owner had believed that he was locking down the suspension when, in fact, he was torqueing down the suspension springs. Being my first B&O turntable, I wasn't sure what was wrong. As a Silver member, I immediately took to studying the manual.

It turns out that the springs were way over-tightened. According to the manual, the correct height adjustment of your platter (without a record) from the surface of the aluminum deck top is 2.5mm to 3.0mm. Make sure that your drive belt is attached prior to making the final adjustment as it tends to pull the suspension assembly ever so slightly to the left. The screws are accessable from the top by removing the platter. This will require that you keep removing the platter and putting it back on to confirm the height.

I actually made 2 hard maple blocks about 1" X 1" on my table saw - one with a 2.5mm rabbit cut and one with a 3.0mm rabbit.

This allows me to set the height accurately over each of the 3 springs. I play 180 gram LP's all of the time and once adjusted correctly, I have never had a problem with it bottoming out or rubbing against the cover. It is now functioning perfectly.

• 06-24-2010 2:42 AM In reply to

• RickM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice.  That makes a lot of sense to me and now I have a plan of action.  Although I haven't been hurting my records I admit I've broken down and used my table a time or two.  But I'm really looking forward to not hearing that scraping when the last song fades.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)