in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-01-2010 5:27 PM by Jefbro. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2010 3:46 PM

Suitable replacement drivers for P45?

Hello, I have a lovely pair of P45's which have suffered in the hands of a courier and all the bass drivers have locked up. I have had a look for replacement drivers on the net and dont know which way to turn! Can anyone suggest a suitable brand to go for to complement the original spec?  Thanks   Jeff

• 05-29-2010 2:19 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Suitable replacement drivers for P45?

That is very hard indeed as you will also see if you do a search here.
    We've had this sad issue several times but whatever you do, hold on to
    the original woofers, there's a good chance that a repair will be possible
    in the future.

Martin

• 05-29-2010 9:09 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I have successfully freed a sticking driver on a CX50 but whether the problem is the same on yours is anyones guess. It involved disassembling the driver almost down to its component parts & rebuilding after some quite intensive burnishing of the tube around which the drive coil is wrapped. If the coils have worn/burned out then it would be a pointless task so you need to test them for continuity before even thinking about this. Where are you located?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-29-2010 10:18 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

It's usually the magnet and the center piece that breaks lose. They are glued in place and
    the center piece will be sucked to one side when the glue breaks, squeezing and blocking the coil completely .

Martin

• 05-29-2010 1:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

So it's likely to be a case of trying to realign the centre piece inside the magnet then hmmmm......Hmm

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-29-2010 6:39 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, but the hardest part is putting it all back together without damaging the coil or its former.
    The center piece will inevitably pull to the side unless not allowed to move sideways at all and the magnet
    will smack onto the chassis or pull it towards itself unless the last 5-6cm travel is heavily restricted and the
    chassis fixed in some form of gig.
    I have a nice collection of bad woofers and I've done a lot of tests. Haven't come up with
    a 100% working solution yet though but it could be something including the complete
    removal of the cone, spider and coil.

Martin

• 05-30-2010 10:30 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Dillen:

but it could be something including the complete
    removal of the cone, spider and coil.

Martin

That's basically what I had to do to free the CX driver. It was really a case of seeing if was possible & probably not worth the effort in that instance but it sounds like worth doing for these older/harder to find units.

Chris.

• 06-01-2010 5:27 PM In reply to

I have tried myself to fix the problem by, as you say disassembling to component parts then trying to reassemble. I did get as far as thinking i'd succeded when i got the cone moving freely along its path when moved by hand but when assembled into the speaker it sounded bad!

Surely there are thousands of different size speakers out there, one must fit!

Thanks for your replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)